It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:19

Coffee Mills

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Coffee Mills

Postby Phil » 25 Jul 2014, 18:57

An 'oldish' project ............

Coffee Mills

A small project requiring some concentration and careful handling, especially routing the smaller parts.

Unfortunately I don’t have WIP fotos from the start.

The ‘hardware’ came from Rockler in the US of A.

The timber used is some very nice light reddish Bubinga (African Rosewood)
It all came from an off cut bin at a timber merchant.
Stuck it through the TP and then used a scraper to remove the machine marks. Also had to watch carefully where the grain direction changed! And Changed! And Changed!!!!

It is hard, but machines well, as long as everything is super sharp, went and bought new router bits for the base and top edges.
Routing the edges of the base and top on unit #1 was a slow process to avoid chip out on the corners!

All the parts are trimmed, assembled and the body ready to be attached to the base.
The body is attached to the base with brass screws and on unit #1 the top is also attached to the body with small brass screws on the side, allowing access to unit for cleaning or maintenance.

Ready for the Danish Oil

First coat of oil. The inside of the draw was not oiled. The Danish oil was applied using a small sponge, wiping off with an old cotton shirt and then sanding with some 300 grit. 0000 Steel wool was used to apply the final coats, which gives it a polished look.

This is unit #1 complete. The draw handle was not yet fitted, I wanted something a lot better than what was supplied and it took awhile to find the right one and size.

Unit #2 complete.

Draw on unit #2

Testing the grinder, ground up some coffee beans for a large mug.

Here is a link to a site that shows the use of Bubinga and its various colours.

http://www.google.co.za/search?q=bubing ... 66&bih=567
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Coffee Mills

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Jul 2014, 19:01

Nice little projects there Phil :)

My machine does its own grinding so I have no 'need' for one of these, but I love the mechanism so might make one anyway! Are they antique mechanisms or modern repro?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Phil » 26 Jul 2014, 06:44

Mark, they are modern repro's.

They actually do work, but would not reccomend continued use. It becomes more of a display piece in the kitchen where wife has it on a counter top.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Coffee Mills

Postby Rod » 26 Jul 2014, 08:19

That's nice Phil - it looks the business.
I have a cast iron one in case of power cuts but it's quite hard work I think? ( haven't used it in a while).
Generally use an electric variable grind type - to allow for the varying requirements of the beans when making Expressos ( but that's another slippery slope?)

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 26 Jul 2014, 18:33

Thanks Rod, the wife is into coffee ground stuff. I just take a quick spoonful of Nescafe at home, and the place where I work have a big Swiss coffee machine.
I moved from about 8 mugs of coffee per day to one. Other than the one coffee I drinks lots of green tea.
The move came about when I was away for a week at a factory last year and extremely ill (out both ends). :cry:

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 26 Jul 2014, 18:57

Nicely done

I have to be careful with coffee these days, only decaf- I defy anyone to tell the difference. I buy ready ground.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 27 Jul 2014, 06:47

Andyp wrote:Nicely done

I have to be careful with coffee these days, only decaf- I defy anyone to tell the difference. I buy ready ground.

Thanks Andy.

Phil
Old Oak

Return to Projects & WIP