It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:27

Oak TV Stand

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Oak TV Stand

Postby Pinch » 26 Jul 2014, 09:06

Although this work was finished a while ago and I posted some finished pics the other day, I thought I'd do a quick WIP on this neat little project.

I haven't steam bent for some years and felt this was a good opportunity to get my hand in again. I was also considering laminates, but wanted to go with solid first and trial run a piece of ash I had kicking around in the shop. The result wasn't good at all. I allowed for springback, but not enough and the work piece encountered approximately 20% springback. So, in with the lams instead...

After extending the form to suit the overall depth of the work (340mm), I prepared the lams and marked/cut them accordingly. That's 16 pieces (2 lams per skin) to achieve the depth and at 2.4mm thick was a good result for the overall finished thickness, also set at a 180mm internal radius. I shot in all the mating edges, concentrating more on the external faces and laid them on the bench ready for the steam chest.

I gave the lams about an hour under steam and then left them clamped in the form for about 24 hours.

The following day, I removed the lams from the form, checking they were dry and once satisfied, I then glued them back into the form for another over night session.

The result was perfect with zero springback.

After cleaning up the two ends, top and bottom shelves, I decided to go with a simple lap joint to connect these pieces together.

I didn't fit the middle shelf on the same glue application, simply because it would have been too awkward, so I stop housed the middle shelf after gluing the outer pieces - job was a gooden.

To finish off, I formed a round over profile using the router and after more prep work, I applied 4 coats of Danish oil, denibbing between coats.

Finished work - measuring 1100 x 340 x 400mm high.

Cheers,
8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Oak TV Stand

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Jul 2014, 10:27

Love that Pinch!

Steam bending and lam bending are 2 techniques I really want to have a go at when I get the new workshop built and set up.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 26 Jul 2014, 19:11

Jeez you make things looks so easy.

I did some cold forming using laminations of walnut that I cut nn my TS to make a couple of handles a few years back. I'll post pictures when I have some time as it won 5th place in a UKW comp!
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 27 Jul 2014, 06:51

Paul, a good looking piece of furniture.

The shape reminds me of furniture when I was a kid, the lounge chairs and settee had curved arms like that. Was very comfortable to sit in.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby hc. » 27 Jul 2014, 09:05

Phil, neat very neat.
hc.
Seedling

Name: Martin Mackenzie

Postby Phil » 27 Jul 2014, 17:43

hc. wrote:Phil, neat very neat.

Read that as Paul, Phil is not capable of such excellent work.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Bungle » 27 Jul 2014, 20:10

Nice job looks great

Cheers

Bungle
Bungle
Seedling

Name: Jonathan

Postby Pinch » 30 Jul 2014, 07:28

Thanks for the comment Guys 8-)

Mark: The techniques are straight forward - the tip is to be organised. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Return to Projects & WIP