It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:30

Extension plans and roof design

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Extension plans and roof design

Postby mickthetree » 29 Dec 2015, 20:49

Evening all

I hope you are all having a very festive Christmas.

We have been putting our extension plans together over the xmas hols, but I really feel the roof is not right. I don't know enough about doing a non standard / asymmetrical roof like this (the big bit where the man is standing in the photos) and only imagine it will add difficulty / added cost further down the road. FIL seems to think it should be fine.

Maybe there is something blissfully obvious that we are missing???

Plan view:

We are trying to keep a meter from next doors boundary to simplify things and it will create a usable area. We are also trying to keep the pitch of the roof on the right hand side the same as the original roof pitch. Maybe we could change the pitch at the back but that would then show from the front of the house and might look a bit odd??

Any ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mickthetree
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Extension plans and roof design

Postby Robert » 30 Dec 2015, 11:13

Must admit I'm struggling to grasp how it looks from the drawings.

The top drawing seems to be 4 views in the same (side?) elevation but without an end elevation I can't relate them to the sectional plan view as that does not show the roof.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2015, 11:32

Pleeeeeeeeease don't do an asymmetric roof. They look awful.

That whole extension needs the input of an architect or similar, and a roof plan and end elevation would help a lot.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 30 Dec 2015, 12:25

The lack of full height space in the new upstairs room ought to be telling you that it's not the way to go.

Extending the existing ridge to the right, a symmetrical roof and maybe a dormer with pitched tiled roof (possibly got a special name(?).

I spotted your notes regarding brick and block weights but not any imposed load due to floor joists, wind and snow load etc
These can lead to a fearsomely large beam or beams in some cases. Have you considered timber stud construction of the upstairs walls with vertical tile hanging for weather protection. I used this method here in 1983 and still working well and not a single RSJ in use. Catnics were more than adequate.

Mike is quite right, some architect/professional ideas lobbed in now should help avoid a monstrosity later.

Good Luck

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Wizard9999 » 30 Dec 2015, 14:28

As per Bob's comment it is hard to see what is what from the plans posted. I also agree with Mike that maybe a fresh set of objective eyes may be helpful, but as a starter for ten, I think Bob's suggestion of a dormer in the rear (which I think is the way the person in the drawing is looking is a very good one.

With regard to the aesthetics my initial thought was that the asymmetrical roof was ugly, but there is another angle to that (no pun intended). If I do understand the plans at all it looks like the view you are showing is from the side, which you will probably won't actually be ale to see (presumably you will only see front and back as I think you said it is about 1m from the boundary). If that is the case, while you may be subjecting you neighbours to an unflattering perspective on your extended house, the benefit from a practical perspective may be more relevant to you. All that said, I still think having a professional set of eyes look at it can't hurt.

Happy New Year,
Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby mickthetree » 30 Dec 2015, 14:31

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I've looked at it so long I've become blind to it!!

We'll have a fresh look at it and reassess the what we want to get out of it. I have some sketchup drawings we started some time back that might show it better.
mickthetree
New Shoots

Name:

Postby mickthetree » 07 Mar 2016, 21:49

Evening all

Following the advice last time we have reworked the plans for our extension. This short video shows the original house in grey and the proposed extension in blue.

The proposal for the downstairs is a steel frame with glass panels down one long side (south) and large doors across the back. A block cavity wall down the other long side (north) which will be rendered. The original building is brick and I like the idea of having a distinct contrast between that and the new bit (although maybe not blue blue!).

We have a copy of next doors plans when they did their extension some 20 years ago so we have a good grasp of the groundworks that will be necessary for the block walls, but I have no knowledge of building using steels.

From what I can glean the vertical steels will need to sit on pads reinforced with mesh. Any pads will need to be joined using a shallow trench filled with a concrete and a mesh frame to prevent spreading. The glass side wall is 8m and we may add another vertical steel halfway to reduce the size of steel required. The frame can sit on studding laid during the pour, but it seems drilling after the steel is in place is preferred (avoiding any mesh is planned carefully).

Using some online calculators, steels seem relatively inexpensive but I have no idea of the cost of the glass panels. They will be static, other than the bi-folds which I plan on making. We sell the mechanisms for these at work so that should reduce the cost.

The pads will be tied into the insulated concrete floor which we plan will include underfloor heating.

The upstairs will be timber framed and tie into the original roof. The original roof will change so fundamentally as well as being converted for living that I'm guessing it might be better to replace entirely?

Do static glass walls count as windows and therefore get away with allowing a higher u vlaue? This is a semi so we will face next door out of the glass on the long side, although that is also south and they only have a single story bungalow so light should be quite free flowing.

So many questions...
mickthetree
New Shoots

Name:

Postby kostello » 07 Mar 2016, 22:08

You will need SAP calculations to get it through building control....

Not impossible but easier if you know what you need to do in advance....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
kostello
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Mar 2016, 22:36

That's a helluva huge extension compared with the size of the original house. Have you had any conversations with the Planners about this? I can't imagine that such an application will have easy progress, particularly as it is a semi. I also can't imagine it adding it's cost to the value of your property. I'd be pleased to be proven wrong on both counts.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP