It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:09

A built-in cupboard (now finished)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

A built-in cupboard (now finished)

Postby chataigner » 23 Jan 2016, 17:26

Not fine woodwork really, just a simple half lapped frame, some MDF cladding and some frame and panel doors, but it's a project...

This is for our front hall. The electricity meter and distribution board are rather obtrusive and the space below tends to accumulate junk, so we decided to put a little cupboard there. First thought was a corner cupboard like the one I made recently for the loo, but sketches suggested it didnt look right there, so we settled on a face frame fitted to what will look like a part of the wall when all is finished. The face frame and doors will be painted to match the internal doors.

Here's the basic structure in half lapped pine.

The face frame overlaps the side to cover the edge of the mdf panel and so avoid an mdf outside corner. Bit of tricky cutting there bacause the front door aperture is not square to the door. Like all the stone built houses around here, the aperture is tapered at about 15°. That meant that the side frame had to have its edges chamfered off at 15° too. Made it all square before thinking of that, so ended up running the whole assembly through the bandsaw with the table angled at 15°. Lots of improvised supports, but it worked well enough.

Started the doors yesterday, I thought about using my cope and stick spindle moulder set, but felt that the resulting very short "tenons" might be a bit feeble for such a large door (1m70 by 55 for the bottom one) and settled on a channel for the panel at 12mm deep, and then increased the channel depth to 30mm at the ends of the stiles to give room for bigger tenons. Grooves cut with three passes on the TS (6mm mdf panels) and the blade simply raised for the ends.

Tenons made by cutting shoulders on the TS using a cross-cut sled and stop block, then the sides cut on the bandsaw. Made a test piece in some scrap to dial in the bandsaw fence. Works fine.

Did a dry assembly to test and to run the router around the inside front to add a bit of decorative profile - had to do that before fitting the panel as there is not enough room for the router cutter bearing once the panel is fitted.

Hope to assemble the doors tomorrow.
Last edited by chataigner on 16 Mar 2016, 18:39, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Re: A built-in cupboard

Postby Andyp » 23 Jan 2016, 19:01

That consumer unit is a bit high up. I bet you need to stand on a chair to reset a tripped switch.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 24 Jan 2016, 09:25

Andyp wrote:That consumer unit is a bit high up. I bet you need to stand on a chair to reset a tripped switch.

I poke them with a walking stick !
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 24 Jan 2016, 10:31

chataigner wrote:
Andyp wrote:That consumer unit is a bit high up. I bet you need to stand on a chair to reset a tripped switch.

I poke them with a walking stick !

:lol: :lol:

The cupboard will look good in the corner.

Our CU's are at a lower level and can be in the kitchen, passage or the newer houses seem to have them in the garage.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Pinch » 24 Jan 2016, 13:20

Good work David and it certainly seems like a sensible project to be doing.

Off topic a wee bit... I've just had a look at you website and I like it. I might be cancelling mine in the future and I'm looking at other available options. Is this something you're doing yourself through a hosting company, or is somebody doing it for you?
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby chataigner » 25 Jan 2016, 21:35

Pinch wrote:Good work David and it certainly seems like a sensible project to be doing.

Off topic a wee bit... I've just had a look at you website and I like it. I might be cancelling mine in the future and I'm looking at other available options. Is this something you're doing yourself through a hosting company, or is somebody doing it for you?

I have a basic account with 1&1 to provide hosting, and then created the web site myself by writing the html and css from scratch using a test editor - just to see if I could remember the syntax ! Not a viable proposition unless you are a dedicated techy. I'm actually thinking of re-doing it using a CMS, I'm currently playing with Joomla which I used recently to create our town's web site. It's quite easy to use I find and simple for non-tech people to do updates.

Here are the first few pages in the proposed new format : http://rue-darnet.fr

It's less flexible, but miles quicker to update. What do you think ?
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 26 Jan 2016, 08:05

New website has a great fell to it. Not sure about the the way the tags are displayed though.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby chataigner » 29 Jan 2016, 11:13

Doors now fitted, also a couple of shelves. I have to wait for a dry day to go fetch a panel of mdf for the side : at almost 3m tall I cant fit it in the 4x4 so will have to use the open trailer.

Didnt have the patience to cut the shelves all around the pipes and things, so cut them short of the depth and put a little upstand at the back to stop things sliding off ! They do however have a solid wood lipping to cover the mdf edge and to add rigidity - I hate droopy shelves.

Isabelle will be conscripted to paint it all in a few days...
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Wizard9999 » 30 Jan 2016, 11:13

It will tidy that corner up very nicely.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Pinch » 30 Jan 2016, 11:17

chataigner wrote:
Pinch wrote:Good work David and it certainly seems like a sensible project to be doing.

I have a basic account with 1&1 to provide hosting, and then created the web site myself by writing the html and css from scratch using a test editor - just to see if I could remember the syntax ! Not a viable proposition unless you are a dedicated techy. I'm actually thinking of re-doing it using a CMS, I'm currently playing with Joomla which I used recently to create our town's web site. It's quite easy to use I find and simple for non-tech people to do updates.

Here are the first few pages in the proposed new format : http://rue-darnet.fr

It's less flexible, but miles quicker to update. What do you think ?

Yes, I like that a lot, although I'm with Andy on the tag display, but they do look very quirky and I like quirky.

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Andyp » 30 Jan 2016, 12:47

Will the MDF go up in one piece David of will you make some faux panels to match the doors?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 30 Jan 2016, 13:39

Andyp wrote:Will the MDF go up in one piece David of will you make some faux panels to match the doors?

I think from the earlier post the idea is to blend it in with the wall. Have I understood you correctly David?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby chataigner » 01 Feb 2016, 09:56

Wizard9999 wrote:
Andyp wrote:Will the MDF go up in one piece David of will you make some faux panels to match the doors?

I think from the earlier post the idea is to blend it in with the wall. Have I understood you correctly David?

Terry.

Yes, that's right Terry. One panel painted white to look like part of the wall.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Re: A built-in cupboard (now finished)

Postby chataigner » 15 Mar 2016, 20:29

It's done ! Various reasons for slow progress - the problems with the leaking shower for example, but here is the finished job :

Can that really be the Xmas mistletoe still hanging from the lamp ? Oh dear... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I was quite pleased with the paint match - I took a smaple of the old woodwork to our local Mr Bricolage and they matched it using a scanner linked to their paint mixing rig. Seems to work pretty well.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Newbie_Neil » 16 Mar 2016, 14:59

David,

It works really well and the paint is a very good match.

Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Mar 2016, 15:32

Nice job mate, looks very much the part.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 16 Mar 2016, 18:07

Very neat David, Might as well leave the mistletoe for next year :D

cheers