It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:59

Workshop design (Finally Progress!)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Workshop design (Finally Progress!)

Postby Crispylettuce » 01 Feb 2016, 23:30

I came across this forum, after being linked to Mike’s shed build project from elsewhere. I had started thinking about shed design for my new project, and Mike’s methods seemed to back up and enhance my other research!

Currently we have a 3mx3m garden shed that is damp and in a poor state. I have tried to patch it up in places, but come to the conclusion I need to start from scratch.

The new design will be a little bigger (~ 4m x 4m), and I intend to fit out the inside better so that I can have some dry, warm working area in addition to storage. I appreciate that storing damp garden tools and woodworking projects is not ideal, but needs must. It’s going to be close to the property boundary, so ill be restricted by the 2.5m height restriction – although my garden (and respective neighbours) has a split level that I could presumably use to my advantage.

I am still in the planning/design phase at the moment – looking at the position in the garden, and also internal useage to try and find a layout that works.

One of my initial questions was regarding the roof. Due to the height restrictions I was going to opt for a pent roof. Could anyone recommend any websites with a basic calculator to establish size of the roof trusses?

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place!

Edit: latest image of the site
Last edited by Crispylettuce on 30 May 2017, 21:35, edited 2 times in total.
Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Workshop design

Postby Doug » 02 Feb 2016, 07:41

Re the garden tools could you not build a separate section within the shed perhaps accessed by its own external door? Apart from the obvious benefits it will add wall space for both hanging garden & workshop tools whilst keeping everything separate.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Feb 2016, 09:21

Crispylettuce wrote:I came across this forum, after being linked to Mike’s shed build project from elsewhere. I had started thinking about shed design for my new project, and Mike’s methods seemed to back up and enhance my other research!

Currently we have a 3mx3m garden shed that is damp and in a poor state. I have tried to patch it up in places, but come to the conclusion I need to start from scratch.

The new design will be a little bigger (~ 4m x 4m), and I intend to fit out the inside better so that I can have some dry, warm working area in addition to storage. I appreciate that storing damp garden tools and woodworking projects is not ideal, but needs must. It’s going to be close to the property boundary, so ill be restricted by the 2.5m height restriction – although my garden (and respective neighbours) has a split level that I could presumably use to my advantage.

I am still in the planning/design phase at the moment – looking at the position in the garden, and also internal useage to try and find a layout that works.

One of my initial questions was regarding the roof. Due to the height restrictions I was going to opt for a pent roof. Could anyone recommend any websites with a basic calculator to establish size of the roof trusses?

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, CL.

Careful with the ground level thing, because the Permitted Development rules are all about the natural ground level around your building, so the neighbour's raised ground level isn't going to come to your aid (other than in reducing the likelihood that they'll complain).

As far as the roof goes, I'll calculate that for you. Bear in mind that the smaller the span the smaller the timbers and the easier the construction, so instead of going 4x4, you might consider going, say, 4.6 x 3.5 for the same area but an easier roof, if this fits with the ground available. I would definitely build a separate section for the garden kit, accessible from the outside. This wouldn't have to be big enough to walk in, particularly if you use double doors.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 02 Feb 2016, 09:47

I was imagining trying to make an internal dividing wall to separate the garden tools, but still need to work out space they need!

With regards to the difference in ground levels, a neighbour one side has a higher ground level than the other. My garden is somewhat split as a result.

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 02 Feb 2016, 09:58

Crispylettuce wrote:The new design will be a little bigger (~ 4m x 4m), and I intend to fit out the inside better so that I can have some dry, warm working area in addition to storage. I appreciate that storing damp garden tools and woodworking projects is not ideal, but needs must. It’s going to be close to the property boundary, so ill be restricted by the 2.5m height restriction – although my garden (and respective neighbours) has a split level that I could presumably use to my advantage.

Be careful to stay under 15m2 internal if you are within 1m of the boundary to avoid the need for building regs. Extensive discussion of these points on this thread (six pages long, but you can skim over it pretty quickly)...

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1411&hilit=Log+cabin&start=25

Ground level can help, as the height is measured from the highest point of ground to the highest point of building and they do not need to be in the same place, so in my case the ground is 30cm higher at the back and I use this as the datum for the height at the front of the building. But as Mike says, it must be natural and it must be adjacent to the building, so for example a raised bed in the neighbour's garden won't help. If there is any risk of neighbours being concerned it obviously makes sense to slope the roof downwards towards the boundary so it is at its lowest point by the boundary.

Looking forward to watching this, so please keep posting.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Mike G » 02 Feb 2016, 10:08

Opening-of-conversation sketches:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 02 Feb 2016, 12:45

Wizard9999 wrote:Be careful to stay under 15m2 internal if you are within 1m of the boundary to avoid the need for building regs.

I was looking to be 1m away from the boundary - just - to give me most flexibility in design. I'll check out the past over lunch!

In truth I still need to think how I'm going to use the space. I don't currently have a workshop/space, so have always had to work outside or adopt the spare room for projects. I'm aiming to build it as large as my wife will allow me too as her planning requirements are stricter than most councils!

I'll try and make a quick sketch at lunch.

My initial thinking was a combined workshop and (dry/clean) storage, with a separate area for lawnmower/garden tools - I need to get the tape measure out this weekend to see how much I need.

Really appreciate your responses already - not all forums are positive!

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 02 Feb 2016, 14:58

So here is a very quick working plan - although as I mention above, I need to get the tape measure out!

My initial idea was to have a garden tool cupboard, primarily as it would probably make the build a bit easier, but I can see why you might want an external door as you have Mike.

Additionally, I was toying with the idea of putting a lot of things on casters to try and make the space as flexible add possible.

(Hopefully my picture links work - I can't seem to preview on the app I'm using!)

Last edited by Crispylettuce on 03 Feb 2016, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 Feb 2016, 15:26

Highly recommend a separate door for the tool store otherwise it is inevitable that there will be storage creep not to mention muddy boots into the working area.

Nearly everything in my workshop is on castors. Even one of the benches can be levered up and castors fitted underneath. Has only been moved this way twice when I needed the extra space to run 3m boards through table saw and planer thicknesser.

I know woodworkers who have special flaps built into the walls/doors to allow long pieces of timber to be feed through machines. Well worth thinking about this now.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Wizard9999 » 02 Feb 2016, 18:21

Crispylettuce wrote:So here is a very quick working plan - although as I mention above, I need to get the tape measure out!

My initial idea was to have a garden tool cupboard, primarily as it would probably make the build a bit easier, but I can see why you might want an external door as you have Mike.

Additionally, I was toying with the idea of putting a lot of things on casters to try and make the space as flexible add possible.

Pictures showing up fine. Three thoughts / questions:

1) Looks like you could easily put an external door into the tool store area, based on your layout.

2) Are you planning to use hand tools only, you do not seem to have any machinery shown on your plan? Not a criticism, just as far as you can best to be clear on what you want / need before you build.

3) Are you digging out from the level shown as ground level on your sketch in order to get extra height, not clear if that is the plan or whether the ground level shown is part of the split level aspect you mentioned initially?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 02 Feb 2016, 21:06

Don't tuck your bench into the short area, unless all you ever handle are, say, models. Stick it somewhere where longer pieces of wood can be worked on.

Like you say, this is all meaningless until you establish the area you can use for this building. You'll never regret erring on the side of bigger-than-you-think-you'll-need at this stage. If you go for "I think I can possibly manage to make that space work", you'll be building an extension on it in a few years time.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 02 Feb 2016, 22:54

Wizard9999 wrote:2) Are you planning to use hand tools only, you do not seem to have any machinery shown on your plan? Not a criticism, just as far as you can best to be clear on what you want / need before you build.

Don't worry, I don't take it as a criticism. At the moment I don't have many large tools having never had the space. Eventually, I am planning to get a planar/thicknesser, and a bandsaw. I already have a pillar drill (not a free-standing) plus various hand-held tools ill be making more permanent stations for. I'll edit my basic layout tomorrow with some extra details.

Wizard9999 wrote:3) Are you digging out from the level shown as ground level on your sketch in order to get extra height, not clear if that is the plan or whether the ground level shown is part of the split level aspect you mentioned initially?

Yes, the ground level shown it (mostly) the existing ground level. The current old shed is standing in this area, so there wouldn't be too much extra to dig out.
Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 02 Feb 2016, 23:50

Crispylettuce wrote:Yes, the ground level shown it (mostly) the existing ground level. The current old shed is standing in this area, so there wouldn't be too much extra to dig out.

Not wishing to be alarmist but don't underestimate the effort to dig out say 30cm over a roughly 15m2 area. Then if that is the level you want the final floor level to be you are likely to go down a further 30cm (10cm of concrete on top of 5cm sand blinding on top of 15cm of hardcore). So 60cm down in total over 15m2 gives you roughly 10m3 of soil to move, and I understand a cubic meter of soil is about 2.5 tons so that is 25 tons of soil to move. Having 'benefitted' from the experience of having dug out the base for my workshop by hand and barrowed it the length of my garden (had no choice as working around a mass of large roots) I would suggest hiring a digger, dumper, or whatever else is appropriate. It will accelerate things and save your back!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 03 Feb 2016, 00:28

I haven't got any links and it was a long time ago but there used to be lots of suggested workshop layouts on the web - showing the space required for various machines and their best locations.
None of them agreeing with each other but it will give you plenty of ideas.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 03 Feb 2016, 12:58

Have edited my quick plan in an earlier post to include some approx positions for machines/tools.
In reality, I'm planning on making it as flexible as possible but mounting everything on casters.

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 18 Feb 2016, 12:15

The planning department (my wife!) has dictated the new patio takes priority over a shed, so that is where my focus now is!

Good news is that we have talked about switching things around in our garden and possibly moving the proposed workshop to a different (bigger!) location.

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 18 Feb 2016, 17:58

Sounds good, the bigger part that is not the patio taking priority. Go as big as you can, but unless that means really big I would still look to have a degree of mobility for your kit.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Chris Bates » 14 May 2016, 08:44

Hello Chris,

I've just had a look at your workshop design.

I looked into the almost flat roof like your design to avoid planning permission. My garage, with a flat roof, which is 7' 6' /2.3M high externally, feels restricted inside because of its height. I went down the planning permission route, drew my own plans and paid my £160. Planning dept at the local council were easier to deal with than anticipated.

I think everything else has been covered by others.

Chris
Chris Bates
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 15 May 2016, 19:21

I'm currently finishing off a patio, before I make any progress. Illness and bad weather have left me further behind than hoped. In any case, were now considering where to fit everything in our garden and are playing with the idea of a summerhouse, which will have to wait until next year!

We may have to go down the placing route for the summerhouse.

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 17 May 2016, 12:47

Chris Bates wrote:Hello Chris,

I've just had a look at your workshop design.

I looked into the almost flat roof like your design to avoid planning permission. My garage, with a flat roof, which is 7' 6' /2.3M high externally, feels restricted inside because of its height. I went down the planning permission route, drew my own plans and paid my £160. Planning dept at the local council were easier to deal with than anticipated.

I think everything else has been covered by others.

Chris

Was yours near a boundary then presumably? What did you end up with?

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 May 2016, 14:53

Mine is 5m x 6m . roof is "nearly flat" box section galv steel sheets with a 1ft drop over the 5m direction
2.7m at the high end, which is where I store my full sheets upright
I've run a business out of it for 15yrs.

Just running out of room, as I've added a fair bit of new kit over the last couple of yrs

so I'm about to build another , the same, to house my metalworking machines and car resto gear, which should make this one much more useable again :-)

No problems of feeling boxed in .. I have half the south facing side floor to roof twinwall poly and double doors.

I have a log burner .. but in the winter, any sun heats the shop plenty.
In the summer, I have trees that shade the south side.

HTH :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Crispylettuce » 17 May 2016, 21:20

Tusses wrote:Mine is 5m x 6m . roof is "nearly flat" box section galv steel sheets....

No problems of feeling boxed in .. I have half the south facing side floor to roof twinwall poly and double doors.

HTH :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Sounds like an intriguing build. Got any photos?

Crispylettuce
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Tusses » 18 May 2016, 09:07

not got any recent pics ... here one that shows the slope of the roof

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 18 May 2016, 10:09

and the only one I can find of the front .. pre-trees

and I still haven't added the cladding ! lol
Mine is just function 1st

My wifes summerhouse is on the right, 8'x12' .. that one got finished .. obviously !

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 18 May 2016, 13:59

Are all those vehicles yours?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to Workshop Builds