It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:36

Planning Permission Question

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Planning Permission Question

Postby the bear » 10 Feb 2016, 19:32

Following on from my thread on permitted development thread (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1691), Im leaning towards just going straight for planning permission after a few more days thought on the subject. I covered some of the unusual aspects of my site on that thread, but there are many more unusual aspects. One is the slope, it slopes steeply down to the boundary. I'm not worried about being able to dig it out and build it, it already has a garage right next to where i want the outbuilding.

My question is this, where will the planner measure the height from, the high ground or the low ground? I am aware in permitted development it is the highest adjacent ground, is it the same for planning permission? I'd be surprised if it differs but want to check. I'm hoping to be able to say to the planner "as its cut into the bank, half the height is below ground level and therefore the height is only blah...."

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Re: Planning Permission Question

Postby Wizard9999 » 10 Feb 2016, 20:54

the bear wrote:My question is this, where will the planner measure the height from, the high ground or the low ground? I am aware in permitted development it is the highest adjacent ground, is it the same for planning permission? I'd be surprised if it differs but want to check. I'm hoping to be able to say to the planner "as its cut into the bank, half the height is below ground level and therefore the height is only blah...."

Surely permitted development is a planning matter (as opposed to buildings regs) so why would it be any different? If it were different it could give rise to some bizarre consequences.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby the bear » 10 Feb 2016, 21:02

Logic tells me I agree, hence the phrasing of my question.

However when I look through the council planning application website and see their decisions and reasons, it is full of contradictions on all sorts of stuff.

So hoping someone knows for sure.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 10 Feb 2016, 21:51

As a householder, I have had several encounters with planners over the years and have learned (with frustration!) that there is not a rule book which I can adhere to and that they will have to pass the plans.
The decision is all about the feelings of the allocated planning officer or the planning committee if he does not give approval in his own right.

PDR however is different and is based on rules enshrined in law as I understand it and (much to my delight!) if the proposal meets the rules then the planners can do nothing about it but accept it.

As this is a planning application, then they can pick an effective ground level in any way they like ( provided they can defend it). You do however have the right to appear in front of the planning committee and defend your proposal (for 3 minutes I think) The planning committee is usually formed from local councillors (who you can lobby beforehand) The planners put their case for or against and then the committee vote.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby the bear » 11 Feb 2016, 11:22

Bob

Your conclusions are similar to the ones I am coming to both with regard to my research now and my experience with the planners over extensions and workshop at my old house and extension/remodel of the current house (and now the outbuilding).

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Feb 2016, 12:33

Why would the planner need to measure the height?

Once you apply for PP, the height elements are open-ended. In other words, there is no prescribed restriction on height as there is with PD.

Your application will require elevations, and these will show the height of the building you propose in relation to the existing buildings on the site. They'll make their judgement from those.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 11 Feb 2016, 18:24

Maybe I should have phrased it differently. All the drawings I've had before for various projects (PP as well as PD) drawn by professionals have been to scale, with a scale, and the significant dimensions (always including height) labelled. So maybe I'm asking where I measure height from, for them to then see if they agree. Probably best I label both sides. Thank you.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Feb 2016, 20:50

Ah, right. Well, you will have to draw this building's actual measured relationship with the adjacent buildings, so the eaves and ridge height will be directly comparable to those of your garage. I would show a dashed line from the ridge of the garage over to the location of the workshop, and give a vertical dimension from that to the ridge of the proposed new building. Always give yourself a little to spare in any dimension you put on a planning application, to allow for site errors etc. So if you think your building is going to be 3500 at the ridge, dimension it as 3600.

If you are going to draw these yourself, you'll need a way of measuring the levels of the existing. Feel free to send them to me if you want me to have a quick look and comment. Don't forget that you'll need a digital site location plan, and a block plan at 1: 200/ 250, showing the entirety of your site and buildings on adjoining sites.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 11 Feb 2016, 21:32

Mike, thats a very generous offer, thank you. I'm hoping to get these drawn in the next week

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Feb 2016, 21:35

Drop me a PM when you're done and I'll give you an email address.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP