It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:40

Cat scratching posts

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Cat scratching posts

Postby Robert » 20 Feb 2016, 18:47

I've been a bit lax in posting stuff for a while. I have been doing things just not taking pictures.

I rebuilt our bathroom as my main project but didn't take a single picture! Before starting it I half finished 2 cat scratching posts for my daughter who kindly volunteered me to make them for her friends.

My daughter has the kind of cat that catches squirrels for fun - he is huge. I made her an appropriately sized scratching post with 12mm sisal rope - twice the size of ones you buy in pet shops. hers friends admired it and she offered me to make some more! I didn't rush and 4 months later they are ready.

Anyway pictures from 3/4 finished to done..

The base is a 18mm MDF + ply box with cheapest carpet stapled over it

Couldn't get the same rope as last time and this is a bit thinner so 27m didn't cover the whole post. post is about 125mm dia and around 750mm long. Bottom 15cm covered with more carpet.

The start of the winding is notched into the end. The post was heavily PVA'd before winding so if it ever frays it will not unwind. The cross dowel has a T nut in it for assembly to coach screws. It's made from more 18mm MDF cut into bevelled strips on the tablesaw and just glued together.

Blocks from the scrap bag glued in to screw a base cover to

This is what my lathe looks like 99.999% of the time...

Cut 2 circles

probably the wrong way to do it but I just trapped the wood between live centre and chuck face then turned it round and made a dovetail on the face

Dovetail went in the chuck and I turned the face. this one had a knot so I filled it with glass fibre resin

Re turned, some wax applied, coach bolt fitted and screwed on the top

Our cat has tested them and approved but she is normal sized and doesn't get one :)

Glad to see the back of them now. I'll not be accepting any more orders for them.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: Cat scratching posts

Postby 9fingers » 20 Feb 2016, 19:41

A nice looking result Robert! possibly took you more time than your daughter ever imagined.

I dread those "can you just....." jobs. In fact as soon as the word "just" is uttered my heart sinks!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 21 Feb 2016, 20:55

The simplicity of the finished object always belies the work involved. I wonder if you asked how many would guess the amount of hours thinking, planning and making went in to them?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 21 Feb 2016, 22:22

Where do you plug it in? :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Commander » 22 Feb 2016, 10:12

Andyp wrote:The simplicity of the finished object always belies the work involved. I wonder if you asked how many would guess the amount of hours thinking, planning and making went in to them?

Nice job! And I have to echo the above sentiment from Andy!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby oddsocks » 26 Feb 2016, 00:28

Nice finished objects and I also echo the sentiments of Andy (having just made 1 then 2 and possibly more mdf guitars for 3-6yr old grandchildren..... I onluy have 2 but friends are asking. I will post soon, but the 'simple' idea takes some effort to realise.
but of course its for Grandchildren , so what is time & materials v joy (it's ok my daughter doesn't follow this forum so i'm safe from a rush of orders!!!!!)

Davw
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Return to Projects & WIP