It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:00

Bespoke fitted Oak Book & Display Case (FINISHED)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Bespoke fitted Oak Book & Display Case.....

Postby Pinch » 13 May 2016, 18:45

Rod wrote:Looking good

Rod

Cheers Rod 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 13 May 2016, 18:46

Wizard9999 wrote:Looks really good. Inspires me to want to get good at this woodworking lark :lol: .

Terry.

Cheers Terry. Go on, you can do it. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 May 2016, 19:19

Good evening my fellow woodworking chums! :D

This be me last update before installation.

I had a short day yesterday, so I fininshed fitting the doors and drawers today. The lower cabinet doors are on soft-close mechanical overlay hinges - easy. The drawers are on soft-close runners - easy. The display glass doors are hung on traditional butt hinges, so I though I'd do a WIP photo shoot of this procedure. You probably have your own way with these things, but here's my way.

I was pleased that the doors snug beautifully into their openings straight off the clamps after "the horns were removed" - easy Clint! Easy... Here's the right hand door wedged into place using some old veneer.

After making a few marks, I then shot-in the door and offered back into its opening.

Maintaining a good narrow joint. Note: I wedge the door tight over to the hinge side.

Once all is good, I then marked out the edges of the door stiles ready for the hinges. In this case, I'm only housing into the stiles and not the carcase of the case, so this means I want to aim at having the back of the case leaf about 1mm proud of the stile when the hinge is closed.

Here we are ready to go...

HInges marked out...

Most of the waste has been removed using the router.

And after a clean up with the chisel and mallet, here's a hinge in its housing.

Here's what I mean when the hinge is closed; the back of the case leaf is just proud of the door stile - just the job.

Now back wedged into the opening to mark the holes of the hinges onto the case ready for piloting.

And here's the door hung - snug as a bug in a pair of 'Y' fronts. 8-)

Here's everything fitted.

I've machined a small 60 degree chamfer to the lower doors and drawers.

Hang on a minute... What's that I see lurking in the display area of the bookcase?? :?

Ah yes.... My wonderful and growing collection of 3 super E-pipes.

A bit closer I hear you say.... Oh okay.

:text-bravo:

The doors are now off and have had their first coat of finish applied. Back in tomorrow for the second and then in on Sunday for an hour to glaze the display doors and then on site for Tuesday morning.

If all goes well with the installation, I'll do a WIP with photos.

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 13 May 2016, 19:24

Gorgeous
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 13 May 2016, 19:37

Is there a reason (technical one rather than just tradition?) why doors are assemble with horns on and immediately cut off.
I fully accept that my methods are unorthodox but I make a door/panel etc from components cut to exact sizes and assemble square & true so all it should need is a minor fettle to fit the opening. If the opening is not a rectangle I make a template and use that to dimension from.

I'm curious to understand.

Thanks

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Pinch » 13 May 2016, 19:56

Andyp wrote:Gorgeous

Cheers Chap 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 May 2016, 20:16

9fingers wrote:Is there a reason (technical one rather than just tradition?) why doors are assemble with horns on and immediately cut off.
I fully accept that my methods are unorthodox but I make a door/panel etc from components cut to exact sizes and assemble square & true so all it should need is a minor fettle to fit the opening. If the opening is not a rectangle I make a template and use that to dimension from.

I'm curious to understand.

Thanks

Bob

Cheers Bob. The main reason for a horn is protection, especially after glue assembly and through the cleaning up process. I would imagine clean-up these days are sanders over the work, and even then, a horn will protect the corner edges of the end grain. I was taught by two old boys when I was an apprentice and these guys would have served their apprenticshipes during the 1930's - real old school. Back then when I was serving my time, we used smoothing and block planes to clean up doors, frames etc after glue assembly. The horns would protect the end grains against potential chipping of a tear-out when racing a plane over the work. Also, when running a plane from the horn end and up the stile, the horn is acting as a guide platform before the plane iron reaches the actual stile. Horns were also used to protect if the work needed to be stored somehwere before it required working again, or even transit.

But having said that, if your method suits you with no issues, you're onto a winner. If I was making a door, or frame, or anything which had stiles & rails, I would naturally mark everything out with horns. Without a horn, it would be a shame if after glue assembly, the end grain of a stile found itself on the wrong side of the rail's outer edge. This would also depend on the tightness of the joint. If there was a small margin for error (say, 1mm), that 1mm could go the wrong way. But with a horn, it wouldn't matter.

Beer night tonight :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 13 May 2016, 20:34

Thanks for the reply Paul.
I can appreciate the protection that the horns offer if you are making a batch of doors keeping the stile end from damage until ready to fit. Also ready made doors get protection from maker to merchant.
However the moment you come to fit a door, the horns have to at least come off the bottom so it can be offered up, marked and attacked with a plane.

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Tusses » 15 May 2016, 08:07

Hi Paul

I was surprised to see you only morticed the hinges into the door, and not the case.
I was told the mortice adds support to the hinge, and make the over all thing stronger ?

I guess you know from experience when this is needed or not ?

Cheers
Rich
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 18 May 2016, 18:05

9fingers wrote:Thanks for the reply Paul.
I can appreciate the protection that the horns offer if you are making a batch of doors keeping the stile end from damage until ready to fit. Also ready made doors get protection from maker to merchant.
However the moment you come to fit a door, the horns have to at least come off the bottom so it can be offered up, marked and attacked with a plane.

Cheers

Bob

I know, life can be a real real bummer at times :cry:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 18 May 2016, 18:09

Tusses wrote:Hi Paul

I was surprised to see you only morticed the hinges into the door, and not the case.
I was told the mortice adds support to the hinge, and make the over all thing stronger ?

I guess you know from experience when this is needed or not ?

Cheers
Rich

Cheers Rich, yes, the leaf of a butt hinge will add some resistance to gravity and I wouldn't do this with a normal sized heavy door. This cabinet door is lightweight and letting the hinges like this used to be common practise.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 18 May 2016, 18:44

The work is now fitted. I didn't make it yesterday, but I did today. The clients weren't there when I left this afternoon at 2:30 and I've just come online, checked my emails and there's an email from my clients to say they're thrilled with the finished work 8-)

After applying the finish to the doors, I rehung them before dismantling evverything to load onto the van. Here's the bookcase ready to go.

Now on site...
Here's the 8' square alcove the case is going in to. I rolled back the carpet and removed the gripper rod. Anything fitted should never go direct onto the carpet - a big no-no. You'll be surprised how many peeps do. :shock:

The first check was the floor and ceiling for levels and the walls for plumb. These were not too bad - floor was about 6mm out over 2.4M. Ceiling very similar. Right hand wall almost spot on. Left hand wall about 5mm out of plumb on a 6' level.

I started with the right hand cabinet and packed it to get the levels. I had already worked out roughly how much waste to remove from the scribe trims - about 18mm. Here the right hand cabinet in situ and ready for the compass to mark the masking tape ready for cutting.

And now cut.

Lovely jubbly.

I then continued along through the the left hand side - all good.

Top surface now cut/scribed in.

Those uprights are offcuts I've used as wall packers. The bookcase back panels tuck in behind the back of the lower cabinet's top surface and the packers are ensuring a nice tight fit - we like em tight.

After fitting all the bookcases, I rehung the two glass display doors just incase I had to tweek the bookcases before securing them at the top level - all was dandy. So now with securing the top before fitting the pelmet... Here are the pelmet's support brackets now fitted.

And here's what's going on above... You can see where I've fixed into the wall with packers behind the back panels.

And now on with the pelmet - probably the trickiest bit of the installation.
I made a couple of templates for each end.

Left hand.

Right hand.

Transferred this onto the pelmet, cut it, and then fitted the bugger!

Left hand.

Right hand.

And here's the work all finished and complete.

This was in the shop...

And now on site - finished.

The installation took me 6 hours which I was quite pleased about. It would have taken much longer if I didn't make a few preparations in the shop before fitting.

Hope you've enjoyed this WIP and your final comments/assessment will be gratefully received. Any critics also okay - easy!!

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 18 May 2016, 19:28

Pinch wrote:
Cheers Rich, yes, the leaf of a butt hinge will add some resistance to gravity and I wouldn't do this with a normal sized heavy door. This cabinet door is lightweight and letting the hinges like this used to be common practise.

Thanks for the reply Paul .. I've done it like that for small lightweight doors .. but never any with glass. So it's good to know :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Bespoke fitted Oak Book & Display Case (FINISHED)

Postby Tusses » 18 May 2016, 19:33

the final fitting looks excellent !!! as usual

Maybe you ought to think about doing this for a living ?? ;)

did you swap the bright posidrive screws for slotted brass ?? :-P
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 19 May 2016, 00:02

Really nice work - the client must be well pleased.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 19 May 2016, 07:42

Tusses wrote:the final fitting looks excellent !!! as usual

Maybe you ought to think about doing this for a living ?? ;)

did you swap the bright posidrive screws for slotted brass ?? :-P

Cheers Rich. No, :oops: but I did use a nicer pozi screw. I must stock up on some nice slotted screws. I keep saying I will. I shall do this today. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 19 May 2016, 07:43

Rod wrote:Really nice work - the client must be well pleased.

Rod

Cheers Rod, yep, they're delighted and there might be another one for the living room. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby DaveL » 19 May 2016, 08:17

Nicely described, I think that really finishes the job off as a classic piece.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 19 May 2016, 08:30

Nice, Paul.

I'm not a fan of art deco (although I designed the interior of a 90m super-yacht in art deco style some years ago). Cover the top of your piece up, and the rest doesn't say "art deco" at all (which is a positive for me, as I said). I wonder in hindsight if you might have added a motif to the door panels, or done that layered thing to the stiles and drawer fronts which was typical of art deco?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Newbie_Neil » 19 May 2016, 10:00

Paul,

I really enjoy your WIPs, as your work is always so good. Thank you for taking the time to post.

This must be the least "quirky" piece that you have ever made. :lol:

Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby TrimTheKing » 19 May 2016, 11:44

Very nice work as always Paul.

I'm with Mike with AD not being a favoured style of mine but the workmanship, quality and fitting are just as we come to expect from your good self. :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

:text-bravo:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Halo Jones » 19 May 2016, 11:53

Lovely work. Could you describe how you get such accurate scribing? This is something I always struggle with. I always get it close but nothing near as nice as in your photos!
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby chataigner » 19 May 2016, 12:25

Lovely work, looks terrific. :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
Thanks also for the detailed fitting WIP, something I tend to struggle with, so very helpful to see how you do it.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Wizard9999 » 19 May 2016, 16:22

Top notch! No wonder they are delighted.

Plus one for the scribing question. Also, a couple of posts back you said about marking the position of pilot holes for the hinges on the cabinet itself. I guess in this instance with no glass it was easy to do, but any tips on doing it with a solid door.

Last question is having pulled back the carpet is it down to you to cut and refit it?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Jimmy Mack » 19 May 2016, 19:27

Wizard9999 wrote:
Last question is having pulled back the carpet is it down to you to cut and refit it?

Terry.

Interesting that one.

I myself, advise customers to get a professional fitter in to cut and stretch it in...partly as i'm rubbish at carpet fitting! :D :D ...don't know why...got one of those kickers, I've watched the youtube vids but I still either over or under cut it and generally goof it up!
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP