It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:31

Bespoke fitted Oak Book & Display Case (FINISHED)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Bespoke fitted Oak Book & Display Case (FINISHED)

Postby Pinch » 25 Mar 2016, 12:15

...with a hint of Art Deco.

Hello Chaps!

It's been a while since I've posted any work on WH2. My business recently became quiet (it's a tough old life!) and I've had to start doing a bit of subby work for a large company, fitting bedroom suites. The interview was long and I was sent away on a mandatory assessment course for a week - all paid for plus a wage. I passed the course and have since installed 8 jobs. The work is okay but like all these national companies, the labour pricing structure is very tight indeed. On the plus side, it gets me out of the shop and out of 8 jobs so far, I've also been approached by 3 of the customers to design and price other work for them. So, the jobs are a bit like spending a few days on a lead, getting paid for it and then designing/pricing the job - all good really. :D

This job is one of those leads and I'm due to start after the Easter Holiday.

Brief: A light coloured hardwood case to house books, including an upper display with glass doors and low level cabinets with two drawers. I've also included a subtle hint of Art Deco in the design as this architectural period is popular with my clients.

The design drawing below illustrates the front elevation of the case, which will be fully fitted from floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall. The work will consist of veneered crown cut European oak and solid European oak. Dimensions are approximately 2.4M x 2.4M.

Below is illustrating the door arrangement for the display and lower line of cabinets.

Report back soon.

All comments are welcome.

Cheers,
8-)
Last edited by Pinch on 18 May 2016, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Bespoke fitted Oak Book & Display Case.....

Postby Rod » 25 Mar 2016, 12:52

Nice to pick up work that way.

Are the shelves adjustable or did they tell you what they are likely to hold?
I'm sure it will look great.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 25 Mar 2016, 14:18

Looking good and a cracking way to get new business!

Out of interest, how wide are the lower cabinet doors? Have you considered splitting them to pairs? It's possibly a personal taste thing... but I like my doors higher than they are wide, I find it visually gives lower cabinetry more height, I rarely go over 500mm width. Another consideration being the wider the door the more space that is required to get in. The glazed doors I'd leave wide. Any lighting in there?

Just my thing tho..looking forward to seeing more [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Jim

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Mar 2016, 16:00

Glad to see to see you back Paul. Art deco not my thing but I know you will make an excellent job of it.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Wizard9999 » 25 Mar 2016, 17:03

Looks very nice, but aren't you worried the mention of veneer will put them off, I mean they could get solid oak from Oak Furniture Land... queue sound of Terry running for cover :lol: .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Mar 2016, 17:38

Wizard9999 wrote:Looks very nice, but aren't you worried the mention of veneer will put them off, I mean they could get solid oak from Oak Furniture Land... queue sound of Terry running for cover :lol: .

Terry.

There's veneer and then there's proper veneer. 2mm thick bandsawn veneer is a very different beast from the measly 0.6mm commercial stuff - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 25 Mar 2016, 19:12

Woodbloke wrote:
Wizard9999 wrote:Looks very nice, but aren't you worried the mention of veneer will put them off, I mean they could get solid oak from Oak Furniture Land... queue sound of Terry running for cover :lol: .

Terry.

There's veneer and then there's proper veneer. 2mm thick bandsawn veneer is a very different beast from the measly 0.6mm commercial stuff - Rob

Think you may have missed the history to that comment Rob. :eusa-whistle:

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Mar 2016, 21:02

Rod wrote:Nice to pick up work that way.

Are the shelves adjustable or did they tell you what they are likely to hold?
I'm sure it will look great.

Rod

Cheers Rod, yes, it is. The shelves are going to be fixed and will be holding books.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Mar 2016, 21:07

Jimmy Mack wrote:Looking good and a cracking way to get new business!

Out of interest, how wide are the lower cabinet doors? Have you considered splitting them to pairs? It's possibly a personal taste thing... but I like my doors higher than they are wide, I find it visually gives lower cabinetry more height, I rarely go over 500mm width. Another consideration being the wider the door the more space that is required to get in. The glazed doors I'd leave wide. Any lighting in there?

Just my thing tho..looking forward to seeing more [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Jim

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Cheers Jim.

The lower door widths will work out around 580mm each. Yes, I'm with you on that, but I had to work within a budget and the design sits well with the clients. There won't be any lighting in the display either.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Mar 2016, 21:12

Andyp wrote:Glad to see to see you back Paul. Art deco not my thing but I know you will make an excellent job of it.

Cheers Andy. Yes, it's cool to be writing on WH2 again - I'll try and keep it clean :shock:

No probs, I'll do what I can.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Mar 2016, 21:16

Terry.

Cheers Terry :lol: ........easy tiger!
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Mar 2016, 21:18

Woodbloke wrote:

Terry.

Sorry to disappoint Rob, this will be the 0.6 jobby...... And on MDF :(
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Mar 2016, 21:20

Wizard9999 wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:

Terry.

Think you may have missed the history to that comment Rob. :eusa-whistle:

Terry.

Eh up... There's no veneer in ere....... Blithering scrotums. I see they're running a run of ads for the Easter deals.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Mar 2016, 22:52

Pinch wrote:Eh up... There's no veneer in ere....... Blithering scrotums. I see they're running a run of ads for the Easter deals.

I think the penny may have dropped :eusa-whistle: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 26 Mar 2016, 11:13

Woodbloke wrote:
Pinch wrote:Eh up... There's no veneer in ere....... Blithering scrotums. I see they're running a run of ads for the Easter deals.

I think the penny may have dropped :eusa-whistle: - Rob

Yes, you've got it... Oak Furnitureland.

"Solid oak." Errr, laminated or engineered actually.

"There's no veneer in ere." Makes my blood boil. :x
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 26 Mar 2016, 11:17

Well, Mrs P and me are going to Highcliffe Castle today which was the home of the great Harry Selfridge for several years. We're then going to pay our respects at his grave which is in the grounds of St Mark's Church, just a few hundred yards from the castle.

We don't care what the weather is doing, we're going anyway... and in the Jag too. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Mar 2016, 12:15

Pinch wrote:

One of my 'must see' places to visit, just to take the *. There's one at Hedge End on the M27 so next time I go to the big M&S near by I'll nip in, unless SWIMBO bottles out :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 26 Mar 2016, 13:22

There's a similar, Pine & Oak Furniture shop at Winnall (M3 Jnt 9 ) though I don't think they use those magic claims?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 26 Mar 2016, 21:59

Woodbloke wrote:
Pinch wrote:

One of my 'must see' places to visit, just to take the *. There's one at Hedge End on the M27 so next time I go to the big M&S near by I'll nip in, unless SWIMBO bottles out :lol: - Rob

What a wonderful idea - go on, be a devil. Perhaps Mrs S can secretly film you taking the *. :text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Wizard9999 » 27 Mar 2016, 16:05

Pinch wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:
Pinch wrote:

What a wonderful idea - go on, be a devil. Perhaps Mrs S can secretly film you taking the *. :text-bravo:

Why not organise a TWH2 get together at the most centrally located Oak Furnitureland, then there can be a mass * take :lol:

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 02 Apr 2016, 13:17

Why not organise a TWH2 get together at the most centrally located Oak Furnitureland, then there can be a mass * take :lol:

Terry.

Count me in :text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 02 Apr 2016, 13:24

The oak veneered board arrived during the week, so I made a start by working out the correct sizes for each panel ready for cutting. Each panel is the structural make up of the complete work including the sides, tops, shelves etc etc. These panels will be faced with an oak lipping, so every overall width of each panel has been reduced by the thickness of lipping, which is 19mm.

Here is one board on the bench during the cutting process.

And here are all the panels cut to their correct widths and labelled ready for the next stage of work.

It's obviously important the face edges are square and ready to receive the oak lipping which will be glue applied with biscuits. Here, I have used the Trying Plane #7 to ensure the edges are good and ready for the biscuit jointer.

Here is the jointer ready to form each housing which I previously marked out.

And here are all the panels prepared and ready for the next stage of work.

I've also made a start in preparing some oak for the Art Deco feature on the pelmet. I've glue applied two pieces together to establish the correct stock size, which will be ready for cutting and shaping. You can also see the other pieces which are ready to be worked.

Report back soon...

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 05 Apr 2016, 10:59

Looking good so far Paul! I always enjoy your WIP's!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Robert » 05 Apr 2016, 13:12

Thanks for bumping this thread Erich. I hadn't checked back after seeing the discussions on door sizes. Didn't realise it was now a WIP.

One to watch :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 05 Apr 2016, 15:32

Commander wrote:Looking good so far Paul! I always enjoy your WIP's!

:text-+1: Also good find trying to spot Merlin too :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Next

Return to Projects & WIP