It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:10

Bespoke fitted Oak Book & Display Case (FINISHED)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Bespoke fitted Oak Book & Display Case.....

Postby riclepp » 14 Apr 2016, 10:05

Pinch wrote:Ah ha! Sorry chaps. I've just read the above silly posting and I meant 'sorry' for being silly and not for stopping being silly. And my apologies to anyone who has dyslexia. Nothing personal - I have dyslexic symptoms myself.

Never apolgise for being silly or trying to make others giggle :D :lol: :eusa-dance:
Life is always giving you a second chance, it's called tomorrow.
riclepp
New Shoots

Name: Richard Leppard

Postby Pinch » 15 Apr 2016, 08:40

riclepp wrote:
Pinch wrote:Ah ha! Sorry chaps. I've just read the above silly posting and I meant 'sorry' for being silly and not for stopping being silly. And my apologies to anyone who has dyslexia. Nothing personal - I have dyslexic symptoms myself.

Never apolgise for being silly or trying to make others giggle :D :lol: :eusa-dance:

Thanks Rich - yes... I get a bit carried away though and I have to really hold myself back at times - all in good spirit of things. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 15 Apr 2016, 08:50

A quick update before I go and do a bit of boat work - I might even catch a wee fishy!

The bookcase and floor cabinets are now ready for the finishing schedule - after a final rub down.

Here's one of the shelves going through its finishing stages with the inlay. This picture showing the two routers - one with a chamfer bit and other with a 'V' flutey bit. There's also the block plane, scraper and paper in view.

Done... It's been very time consuming but with pleasing results.

I'll report back soon with this work.

On with a boat repair now. :|

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 21 Apr 2016, 20:47

Not much to report with this project, but my client visited the shop this morning as arranged, and as I've been busy with other stuff, I got to the shop early to dry assemble one part of the work for her viewing. All went well and she particulaly very much liked the small 'V' and chamfer detail - phew.....

I then had to dash to a 11:20am doc appointment, then back in the shop to get the TS installed and then down to the sailing vessel for a rub down. Cor, it's tough going you know!

I shall be beck on this work sometime next week and all going well, I shall really crack on with it.

8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 22 Apr 2016, 09:27

Pinch wrote:Cor, it's tough going you know!

Yeah but better than fitting kitchens, eh?

Nice to see Merlin creeping back into shot too. :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 22 Apr 2016, 23:06

Andyp wrote:
Pinch wrote:Cor, it's tough going you know!

Yeah but better than fitting kitchens, eh?

Nice to see Merlin creeping back into shot too. :D

Even bedroom suites ;)

I hoped you liked the crafty Merlin shot - especially for you Sir! 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Wizard9999 » 24 Apr 2016, 11:26

If the old chap ever fancies a holiday he is welcome to stay with me for a while :lol:

"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha" and all that.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 24 Apr 2016, 11:43

Ah Ha Terry
I see you have sneaked "Anál" through the forum profanny-filter :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Wizard9999 » 24 Apr 2016, 13:42

Must all be in the accent Bob, who would have thought the profanity checker was so sophisticated. Bloódy amazing :lol: .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 24 Apr 2016, 14:35

Accents really screw up profanity filters !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 24 Apr 2016, 19:32

Hey, I'll have none of that jiggery-pokery on my thread thank you! :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 03 May 2016, 19:00

I started working on this project again today.

As this morning was very sunny and most lovely, I thought I'd get Betty Boo the Beemer out for tickle and just the job. Here she is outside the shop this morning 8-)

Since buying the new Toby Slater and picking up the rather large Charlie Scrote, I've had to make a few minor changes to the shop's interior. Once I started this over the weekend, I then had to move 'A' to put 'B' there, and then move 'C' to put 'A' there, and so on... :x ...was a bit of a nightmare. But anyway, I've decided to keep old Cathy Shingstinger where she is and use Big Charlie Scrote for on site purposes - like in a couple of weeks from now. But, Charlie needs to live somewhere, so he's now under the middle bench out of the way - and, on his very on skateboard. This is where a scaled model of a house I fancied building many years ago for myself called 'Project Merlin' was living. I was close to smashing up the model as I didn't know where to put it, but I couldn't bring myself to doing so, so, it's further up/under the bench. 8-)

Here's Cathy Shingstinger in her usual place and she ain't moving now - typical female.
Cushty...

And Big Charlie's new home... lovely jubbly.

I think I took a shot before of Toby Slater's new location - sweet as a black cherry vanilla liquid cooler.

My oil stone box used to live on a shelf under the middle bench, but is now next to the bench grinder - logic I guess.

Evening All... :D

I've glued the side trims onto the bookace and floor cabinet end panels - this is in preparation of scribing to the walls and skirts.

And here's everything ready for the finish - including back panels.

I also grooved out and rebated for the door stiles/rails and I had to finish off with a bit of light rabbiting - so nice to get out the Carriage jobby once in a while.

Onwards and upwards...

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 05 May 2016, 22:21

Looking good pinch...I see you assemble without back panels, are they still to go in?

Might have to get a Merlin, is he handy....there's a lady (affectionately known as wacky Jackie) down the road from me who has an old (bald) shop dummy at the end of her drive...she dresses it to suit the seasons, I love it, partly cause I'm sure it rubs up some of the the parish councilers. If I remember I'll take a picture of the mannequin and post.

Jim

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 06 May 2016, 18:36

Cheers Jim.

If the work was freestanding, I would assemble with the back panels, but as this is fitted, I'll be just screw fix assembling with the back panel straight onto the backs of the cases - no rebates or grooves. Just the job.

Merlin is very handy - he's a treasure of mine and been with me for almost 20 years - give or take. You must get a piccie of Jackie's baldy ( :shock: that doesn't quite sound right, but...) and post it. I have another ole chap who's been with me for many years too - and that's Monkey. Here he is :D

He used to create a stir when I would drive around with Monkey in the passenger seat of my car and I had one of those long sticker things at the top of the windscreen quoting 'Husband' (above me) and 'Wife' above Monkey. :lol: Yes, I know, I'm a bit of a plonker.

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 06 May 2016, 18:54

Update:

Well, I drove to work in the Jag today - taken this very fine morning 8-)

Right then... Doors and drawer fronts are now glue assembled. I made these using stub haunched mortice & tenons. I cut most of the mortices with the router and then cleaned up using a couple of good old chisels and mallet.

After the router...

And a bit of traditional work...

Dry assembled display doors.

And lower doors/drawer fronts.

As I'm now ready to start applying the finishing schedule and there are approximately 74 pieces to finish, I made a wee structure and screw fixed it to the bench to rest the bookcase and lower cabinet shelves against. This is because I'm applying the finish to both sides.

Structure.

Now fully loaded.
The pieces down the edge of the bench are the lower cabinet bases (plinths attached) and the side panels which are to be scribed against the walls. Plus, the top rails of the lower cabinets.

Other side...

Here are more bits... :shock:

And more... :o
The bookcase side panels including the far end panels with scribe trims attached.

And door & drawer fronts glue assembled.

I'm in tomorrow to apply the first coat of finish.

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 10 May 2016, 19:07

Crikey, roll on Friday when our fibre optic GOES BLINKIN LIVE ! ! ! ! ! ! :evil:

Okay, update:

I've started assembly now and I'm almost ready to give the clients an installation date for next week.

As this work is completely fitted wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling, I have dry screwed all the cases together including the rear panles. Here's one of the bookcases on the bench in dry assembly. I used wooden shelf spacers for all the bookcases - labelled 200, 250 and 300.

Once the head was fastned, I worked from top-to-bottom upside down.

The 4th shelf up (or 2nd up in this pic - the case is upside down) is flush with the side carcase outer edges which only applies to the two centre cases. This is because there are a pair of glass doors going in here.

Before I screw fixed the rear panel onto the backs, I double checked for square - all lovely jubbly 8-)

Now then, the floor in my workshop is out of level by loads! Over 30' (the length), it's approximately 1' out, so when I moved into the shop alomsot 4 years ago, I made a platform for assembling work. This was to be temporary until I hade the time to make a decent level platform. Over the last few years, this platform has lost its level slightly due to the MDF (I should never have used MDF in the first place - But I am a knob-head sometimes: Only sometimes you ask?!) sagging a wee bit between the small wedged shape joists - or even firrings. Consequently, when I assemble a project like this, I have to level the floor first.

And this is what I've done here. It's not lots, but enough to create problems when installing on site if I don't level the floor in the shop. I must make a proper dooper platform - soon! Yeah right! :lol:

I've only partially screwd the carcases together at this stage.

I haven't placed the lower cabinets' top on yet as it needs one more coat of finish. The bookcases rear panels project above the heads by around 50mm - this is for fixing into the wall on site. And they project down behind the top of the lower cabinets by 12mm.

Here's what I mean about the tops of the rear panels - cushty.

And here are the scribe trims at each end. The overall length of the alcove this work is going into is 2405-2420. The bookcase is currently measuring 2440 with the scribe trims, giving me enough tolerance to cut the trims to suit the walls so it's snug as a bug in a sandpit.

Here's the bookcase - roughly 8' wide by 8' tall, excluding the pelmet.

Here's a shot when I sat down having a brew. You can see the 4th shelves to the central case sticking out further than the others. And, the wee 'V' goove feature is a pretty darn good result I reckon.

And here are the other bits including the top, pelmet, cornice, doors and drawers. I'll have some of this fitted tomorrow.

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 10 May 2016, 19:40

always good work from you Mr P !

keep it up :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 10 May 2016, 19:55

Cheers Rich 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 10 May 2016, 21:39

That looks a lot of material to finish there! I read the bit about the stand for drying but how are you applying the finish? Did you brush apply to all that area or do you have spray facilities somewhere?

looking very nice btw....
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 May 2016, 22:22

Looks cracking...loving the monkey...right...or is it left turn Clyde?

The mortice chisel from a few posts back looks like a movie murder weapon!...I think it's the handle design [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I'm waiting for a decent outfit before I get a snap in of Jackie's dummy.

Keep up the good work [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 11 May 2016, 20:24

Robert wrote:That looks a lot of material to finish there! I read the bit about the stand for drying but how are you applying the finish? Did you brush apply to all that area or do you have spray facilities somewhere?

looking very nice btw....

Cheers Robert. Yes, all brush applied - no spray booth. Two coats of PU and it's looking smashing. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 May 2016, 20:28

Jimmy Mack wrote:Looks cracking...loving the monkey...right...or is it left turn Clyde?

The mortice chisel from a few posts back looks like a movie murder weapon!...I think it's the handle design [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I'm waiting for a decent outfit before I get a snap in of Jackie's dummy.

Keep up the good work [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Cheers Jim. Haha yes, e-e-e oo-oo-oo ah-ah-ah Monkey!

The old Isaac Greaves mortice chisel is one of a set I have. They're over 100 years old and in its former life, I'm sure it was the weapon used in the stabbing of 1899 Great Bertie Bassett Street, East London.

:text-goodpost:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 11 May 2016, 20:40

Quick update:

I didn't get that much done today. It was one of those days when uninvited visitor after visitor kept walking in throughout the day - I was getting quite grumbly doodaas with it all :x

It must be my wonderful tea making skills. 8-)

Right then... The top and pelmet are fitted - albeit temporary. The doors are now sanded and ready for fitting, plus the drawers are in glue assembly.

Three support brackets for behind the pelmet when I fit the work.

I've screwed the case together where the display doors are going to hang... Marvellous.

Display doors in their resting places, although not hung or shot in yet - just there straight out of clamps and horns removed. I can hear an old Clint coming on... :lol:

I'll have the doors fitted tomorrow... :?

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 11 May 2016, 22:03

Looking good

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 12 May 2016, 00:49

Looks really good. Inspires me to want to get good at this woodworking lark :lol: .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP