It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:19

Bookcase/display cabinet (ebony handles fitted)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Bookcase/display cabinet (more joinery)

Postby chataigner » 01 Jun 2016, 13:03

Finished the afternoon yesterday cutting the slots for the floating side panels. Quite simple in principle, but a lot of material to remove to create an 8mm slot 175 x 36cm. Cut the short parts on the TS, three passes with a 3mm blade, then routed the long parts as I was not confident to control the 2m long corner sections well enough to make stopped cuts on the TS.

Also made the two central cross braces and routed the appropriate mortices.

Today I started making up the side panels. These will be in chestnut - I like the "cathedral window" grain and a slightly different tint will look good I believe.

Some 25mm rough boards planed up to 18mm, then biscuit jointed for alignment and glued up. Note the central section of the bench removed to allow clamping both sides of the job to the bench top to keep everything perfectly flat, this is one of the key advantages of this bench arrangement.

Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Pinch » 01 Jun 2016, 19:50

Nice work David - looking very neat and crisp. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Andyp » 01 Jun 2016, 20:43

Have you ordered the glass for this yet? I wonder if you will find similarly varying prices that Bob's recently experienced.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 02 Jun 2016, 15:39

Spent this morning trimming the panels to size and then routing the rebate on the back edge to get down to the 8mm slot size.

This afternoon much planing, scraping and sanding to get all the parts for one end of the bookcase up to standard and then the first glue up ! Went rather well, there are big shoulders on the wide cross members that pull it all into square without much intervention by me. Just a tap with a mallet to settle the tenons into the mortices. 8-) 8-)

The outside is face down in this pic so we are looking at the inside of the side...

Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 02 Jun 2016, 15:42

Andyp wrote:Have you ordered the glass for this yet? I wonder if you will find similarly varying prices that Bob's recently experienced.

No, not yet, it will be temporary in any case as I plan to fit a stained glass panel once I've learned how to do it !
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 16 Jun 2016, 12:57

Lots of other stuff going on at the moment, so progress is slow, but I have now made the floating panels for both sides and assembled them.

Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Re: Bookcase/display cabinet (lots of progress)

Postby chataigner » 16 Sep 2016, 14:01

It's been a while !!! What with holidays, organising a photo exhibition, fitting out the kitchen in Isabelle's investment appartment and numerous other distractions, I've not done much to the project during the summer. The last week however, there is finally some real progress.

The first steps were to prepare the oak frame members for the top and bottom and create the (chestnut) floating panels that sit in them. Lots of milling up of boards, lots of profiling for the cloud lifts - then cutting the big mortices in the side assemblies to take the top/bottom frames. Mortices cut with a router, the assemblies were far to big to manipulate in the hollow chisel morticer. Then assemble the top/bottom and central shelf with two sides : on trestles as it fouled the lights when I tried to assemble it on the bench top. The central shelf is M&T'd and glued into frame members at the front (free to expand etc at the back) to ensure the front of the cabinet does not bow in or out and so avoid potential problems with the doors

A simple job in principle, but it's big (almost 2m tall) and everything is VERY heavy, I nearly had a disaster when I found it was a tad out of square and I had no clamps long enough to reach corner to corner to pull it into line. Frantic improvisation using a loop of rope and a stick to twist it like a tourniquet !!

Next job : the doors. These are glazed with fancy muntins in the style of G&G, and since I didnt fancy cutting glass around these fairly complex shapes, the muntins are on the surface of a single rectangular glass panel. The cloud lifts are done by drilling the main parts of the curves with forstner bits, then cutting into the curves with the bandsaw, finally faired by hand sanding.

Getting the angles right on the muntins was quite tricky, in the end I simply made a full scale drawing and cut them to fit. All M&T'd into place even if they are only decorative.

I always cut mortices on the hollow chisel morticer where possible, then fine tune tenons to fit. I cut the shoulders on the TS using a crosscut sled, then cut the cheeks on the bandsaw. A trick I've found useful is to cut the tenons over long, then creep up on the bandsaw setting using the actual cheeks, but only cutting in the overlength bit. Once it all fits right, I cut the rest of the cheeks and trim off the end bit.

First door assembled today : here it is propped in the cabinet and secured with a clamp until I fit the hinges.

Now for the second door...
Last edited by chataigner on 16 Sep 2016, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Sep 2016, 14:07

Tasty! Very very very tasty!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby DaveL » 16 Sep 2016, 15:40

Malc2098 wrote:Tasty! Very very very tasty!

Yes very nice indeed.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Rod » 16 Sep 2016, 16:32

Looking good

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Sep 2016, 17:10

Oh yes.

Posh workshop clock too.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby chataigner » 16 Sep 2016, 18:28

Andyp wrote:Oh yes.

Posh workshop clock too.

Shaker repro with modern quartz mechanism. :D :D
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 16 Sep 2016, 18:32

Just like Norm's :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Commander » 19 Sep 2016, 06:44

Very nicely done David!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby chataigner » 19 Sep 2016, 15:50

Just finished the second door and have ordered the hinges so hope to have the doors fitted by the weekend.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 19 Sep 2016, 18:18

Oh my...I really, really like those doors.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 19 Sep 2016, 18:33

Looking good so far David
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Bookcase/display cabinet (lots more progress)

Postby chataigner » 26 Sep 2016, 19:00

Hinges duly arrived and were fitted. I used the router to cut the recesses, too tricky to eyeball it as the cabinet is assembled and upright with no space to lay it down, so I had to work on vertical surfaces. I made a little jig to clamp to the cupboard sides and then guide the router using a guide bush. 100% successful thank goodness - with quite a lot of time and material invested already, not a moment for a slip up !

The doors were made and hung oversize, then planed to fit. They are located in the closed position by rare-earth magnets epoxied in the top and bottom with corresponding magnets in the carcase. Works beautifully - the doors close silently rather than "clacking" against a stop.

Spent today making the ebony pegs for the classic G&G joint pegs which were both functional and decorative in the original. My joints are not pegged - modern glues are quite good enough on their own - but the decoration needs to be reproduced for an authentic piece. This is where I plan to put them (these are bits of black tape to test the effect).

Then to make the dummy pegs - rather a lot of them, 12mm square for the carcase : 22 off, plus 8mm square for the doors : 20 off. These were made by cutting strips of ebony 12 x 12 and 8 by 8 on the bandsaw (smallest kerf possible to avoid waste of precious ebony) then putting the strips in the lathe and turning a spigot which will be glued into a drilled hole in the cabinet. 8mm spigots for the 12 by 12 pegs and 6mm for the smaller ones. Then the dummy peg is cut off with the junior hacksaw (smallest possible kerf again) and repeat for the next one. (Apologies for the poor photos - didnt want to risk the reflex in the dusty workshop so used a compact that seems to have had trouble deciding where to focus !).

These little chaps were then taken to the belt sander and individually cleaned up, including pillowing the tops. My finger tips will be sore for days !

They will be fitted after the carcase is stained.

In the meantime, I need to make a back for the cabinet. I had intended cheating and using oak faced plywood, but at nearly 50€ the m2 and it needs 3.5m2, I decided to do it the long way and mill up a load of 15mm boards in chestnut which will be t&g'd or at least lapped to make the back. Quite a bit of work, but less than half the price and more authentic too.
Last edited by chataigner on 26 Sep 2016, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 26 Sep 2016, 19:02

Nice, nice, nice.....

It's not hard to see why Greene & Greene stuff is so expensive, and why there is so little of it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Sep 2016, 17:10

Very nice.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby chataigner » 27 Sep 2016, 18:33

Picked up a couple of miles of 18mm rough-sawn, live-edge, kiln-dried chestnut boards today. Spent the afternoon slicing off the live edges and planing to thickness. They ended up at 16mm when all were clean, but that's OK. Now I've started cutting rebates for the overlaps. Got enough for my 1m80 by 1m20 panel out of 2/3 of what I bought for 55€. The rest goes into stock. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A much better deal than the plywood and far more authentic. :D :D

Photos tomorrow.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 27 Sep 2016, 22:15

Another thread where I missed the previous update while on holiday.

Looks great and as others have said there is a real wow factor to the doors! The door proportions look different to your drawings at the start of the thread in a good way - better balanced to my eye than the drawing.

Not sure about the pegs but I'll reserve judgement until you have it finished.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby chataigner » 29 Sep 2016, 16:47

Made up the panels for the back and cut rebates shiplap style. Made quite a few, random widths to best use the boards.

They are also rebated to fit over the edge of the top and bottom cross members and will be tidied up from the back with a moulding to cover the ends.

I've also stained the whole thing. Decided to go with a spirit stain as I find the colours of the water based ones a bit flat. This is Liberon chêne moyen. Quite a challenge to put it on and wipe it off fast enough to keep it even. Very pleased with the result, it brings up the grain of the chestnut panels beautifully and is dark enough to minimise the colour difference between the chestnut and the oak. The photo does not really do it justice as there is a mix of overhead lighting and flash which makes the panel look lighter at the top. It's not really !

The door below is also waxed with a slightly tinted Carnauba wax and buffed out.

Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 29 Sep 2016, 17:00

Very nice David.

I have used that medium oak stain on a number of woods and it does do a good job of highlighting the grain.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 30 Sep 2016, 09:01

Lovely work, really enjoying this thread.

When I saw this on YouTube I immediately thought of you...
[youtube]HLopA6NF7dk[/youtube]

Not suggesting there is anything wrong with your method, but thought you may be interested in an alternative option.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP