It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:29

Tricky little boat repair.

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Tricky little boat repair.

Postby 9fingers » 17 Apr 2016, 14:15

If it is a brush motor powered saw it will have a reduction gear enclosed on the end of the motor. These tiny gears go through a real pounding as the motor possibly runs at 10kRPM or faster.
Often a tooth get shed and mashed in the works.
Motor replacements are normally so dear that they normally end up in the bin.

The SIP should be a much better proposition being induction motor powered.

3.3hp will need a 16amp supply with a type C Breaker (unless it is 3 phase) but so much better and worth the work.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Pinch » 17 Apr 2016, 19:13

Cheers Bob, I'm going to see the SIP tomorrow afternoon. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 19 Apr 2016, 07:07

I popped into the shop to double check my little TS and it's definitely had it, so I drove to see the SIP last night and bought it for £120. The chap is a GP and he's owned the saw from new and in the last 4 years, it's had very little use. He's also selling a large SIP chop saw (01470) which I have also bought for £50 - picking this up next week. In addition to that, there's a bench, but I don't need this. If there's anyone local who wants this, let me know.

Here's the table saw and bits.

And the large chop saw.

I must say, I'm rather chuffed with this purchase - £170

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 19 Apr 2016, 07:20

Nice one Paul, well done.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 19 Apr 2016, 07:28

Chop saw and stand for £50 - what a steal!
Well done

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 19 Apr 2016, 21:38

I'm curious, Paul, as a non-tablesaw owner. Is that really man enough for you, a professional furniture maker? That looks a bit of a tiddler.......dare I say it, even a bit DIY. I see that you buy PAR timber, so you don't need it much for ripping, so is it just for slicing up sheet material and veneer, and for doing the odd rebate?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 21 Apr 2016, 06:22

Andyp wrote:Nice one Paul, well done.

Cheers Andy. I started to instal the saw yesterday - quite a job. I'll finish it today and post up th pictures. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 21 Apr 2016, 06:25

Rod wrote:Chop saw and stand for £50 - what a steal!
Well done

Rod

Cheers Rod, although sadly not the stand. The £50 was for the saw only. I don't suppose he'll want much for the stand and I would like it, I just don't have the room for it in the shop. It would be handy for the roof job I'm going to start soon. :eusa-think:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 21 Apr 2016, 06:41

Mike G wrote:I'm curious, Paul, as a non-tablesaw owner. Is that really man enough for you, a professional furniture maker? That looks a bit of a tiddler.......dare I say it, even a bit DIY. I see that you buy PAR timber, so you don't need it much for ripping, so is it just for slicing up sheet material and veneer, and for doing the odd rebate?

Cheers Mike. I think this SIP machine is either heavy duty DIY or light work for the trade, although it is classified for the professional. I don't need anything too heavy duty and this TS is 3.3hp with a 310mm dia blade, which should be more than adequate for me. It all feels good, solid and very heavy.

My last TS (which was 100% DIY) was given to me and the heaviest use I gave it was carefully ripping down some 80mm sq seasoned oak. Although it wasn't totally in its comfort zone, it did the job successfully. The old TS isn't a patch on the SIP. I guess time will tell, but the old one gave me over two years service before going into retirement, so hopefully, all going well, the SIP should last me quite a few years. 8-)

Yes, its main use will be ripping down small'ish profiles as and when (up to 60mm thick maybe), splayed cuts, rebates (sometimes use the router depending on size of rebate), man-made boards, veneers etc...
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 21 Apr 2016, 20:19

I finished off installing the table saw today - bit quirky, but you know me - a quirky dude.

Here's the little old TS still in its place - she served me well.

And here's Miss SIPPY waiting to get in there! Slightly on the larger size to her predecessor. Hmmm, that could go somewhere, but fear not, I am behaving myself. ;)

And now all in and operational.

Yes, I know, I have removed the riving knife and top guard, but I need them gone so when not in use, the whole bench is usable with no obstacles.

Old dusty bin is behind the MDF board to the right of the saw and is easily accessable round the corner. I'm also going to add a double socket off the ring main to the MDF board.

Back on the sailing vessel tomorrow.

8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 22 Apr 2016, 18:33

Back on the job.

I don’t know where this morning went and I wanted to get all the veneer cut in before the end of the day. It was now almost lunchtime and so I started to prepare the veneer leaves for ripping down to 38mm strips.

Firstly, I taped an edge with masking tape so I could create a face edge on the opposite edge using the new Toby Slater. This was only to remove a few millimetres.

And here's a new face edge.

Now, I could set up the saw fence to 38mm which will give me my veneer strips. I used a piece of oak on the veneers while cutting to prevent any kick-backs or splintering - a bit precarious I know, but it works.

And here are a bunch of mahogany strips at 38mm.

A quick bite to eat with a cup of Yorkshire’s finest tea, and then off to site.

Here are a couple of shots of the stern after a final sand down.

To get going with the veneer work, I firstly marked a vertical centre line and then a perimeter guideline 50mm back from the stern’s edge.

I then cut my first veneer strip and temporarily tacked it into place. Here’s the top edge nicely tucked under the decking.

As I continued to cut and tack, I pre marked for the cut-outs in the stern’s ply and later transferred the lines onto the veneer. I shall cut these a couple of millimetres within the line when I remove the strips for gluing.

Earlier in this thread, Mike made an interesting point about bending laths in more than one direction at the same time. In this case, we’re looking at bending a veneer strip along the thickness which is approximately 2.4mm – no probs. But, we also need to bend it across the width which is 38mm, and at the same time – bit of an issue. What will happen, is the material will naturally form a kink due to the simultaneous forces working in opposite directions. Also, the wider the lath or strip, the harder it’s going to be to do with minimal kink or distortion. Which is why these strips are 38mm for these curves, and although the forces are going on, it’s just about doable without any major distortion.

This next series of pictures illustrates exactly that. But of course, I’m only tacking this dry today. Tomorrow, I shall remove all the pieces, cut everything as marked and then glue it all down, working and tacking all the minor distortions home so it’s all nice and comfy.

Here’s half done.

And now the other half.

In the first picture, you can just about see where I’ve marked the perimeter line onto the veneer which I did using the compass.

By 4pm, I'd had enough, and although I didn't get it all done, I was pleased with what I had done.

Report back tomorrow.

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 22 Apr 2016, 19:29

Looking good - weather forecast not too brilliant - will the temps effect the gluing time?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 22 Apr 2016, 22:58

Cheers Rod.

Oh is it - I was hoping to take Betty The Beemer out tomorrow. :|

No if anything, the damp weather will give me more working time with the glue, but, the veneer already started to curl slightly today, due to the damp weather.

Although it didn't stop raining today, I really enjoyed the veneer work on the boat. It was good old fashion woodwork - tenon saw & pin hammer and no machines. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Apr 2016, 19:11

I worked on the boat project today and before removing all the veneer strips, I labelled them in numerical order and also labelled pieces nos 5 & 20 on the decking as these were my first pieces to glue for each side.

I then made all my cuts from previously marked when dry tacked and started to glue and tack these back onto the stern's new ply clad. Here's about 60% done and you can also see the perimeter's line is ready for the edging veneer.

And here's the stern now veneered. I cut in the edging veneers after the strips were fixed. The perimeter cuts were always going to be roughly accurate. I then marked up the edgings from the perimeter cuts using a compass and then cut the edgings (using a tenon and coping saw) close to the lines and used the edgings as a template to tidy up the perimeter cuts with a sharp chisel - if that makes sense.

Anyway, here are all 59 pieces of veneer now glued onto the stern.

Nice sweep...

I shall back on this job Thursday to finish off, including a tidy up of all the cut-outs & edging pieces and a good sand down..

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 25 Apr 2016, 19:27

It's a hedgehog! Don't forget to take your pincers with you next time you go... :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Apr 2016, 19:33

Are you sure you didn't do an apprenticeship with the people who built these beauties

Built by Riva in Italy.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 25 Apr 2016, 19:39

Mike G wrote:It's a hedgehog! Don't forget to take your pincers with you next time you go... :)

Yes, the pin heads caught me out a few times on my hands and forearms, but no blood shed 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Apr 2016, 19:40

Andyp wrote:Are you sure you didn't do an apprenticeship with the people who built these beauties

Built by Riva in Italy.

Now that is very nice indeed - what a beauty! 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 25 Apr 2016, 20:17

Looking good

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chippy1970 » 25 Apr 2016, 20:44

Andyp wrote:Are you sure you didn't do an apprenticeship with the people who built these beauties

Built by Riva in Italy.

Beautiful , always say I'm gonna build one but I doubt thatll ever happen lol

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
chippy1970
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Pinch » 25 Apr 2016, 20:53

Rod wrote:Looking good

Rod

Cheers Rod 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Apr 2016, 20:55

chippy1970 wrote:

Built by Riva in Italy.

Yeah me too Chip. The dilemma I have is do I build my car before the boat, or t'other way round? :eusa-think:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby chippy1970 » 25 Apr 2016, 21:01

Pinch wrote:
chippy1970 wrote:

Built by Riva in Italy.

Yeah me too Chip. The dilemma I have is do I build my car before the boat, or t'other way round? :eusa-think:

Mine is to rebuild an old 911 and build a slipper launch. Just have to win the lottery

chippy1970
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 25 Apr 2016, 21:03

You need the car first to tow the boat to the river!
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 26 Apr 2016, 06:25

RogerS wrote:You need the car first to tow the boat to the river!

That's where my Monkey Bus come into the equation ;)

I don't like all these hanging label things people have in the rear windows, but i have one - it says:

There are no little people onboard.
There are no little persons onboard.
No screaming kids.
Just a couple of monkies.

:lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP