It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:48

Stair alterations. NOW FINISHED

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Stair alterations.

Postby Andyp » 01 Sep 2016, 08:14

Factoring in parking tickets is OK until they wheel clamp you.

Never understood hospital parking charges. I guess they have to deter non hospital users from parking but that could easily be solved inside the hospital.

At our main hospital here parking is free for 3hrs, if delayed inside the hospital then you can present your ticket to the receptionist who will mark it is a paid.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 01 Sep 2016, 17:26

Winchester used to have a problem as the Prison is opposite and when parking was free it was full of their visitors. It's also fairly close to the town shops so was a source of free parking for shoppers. They charge roughly £1.80/hr but the trick was to just pay for an hour as the Wardens don't visit very often and only look for a ticket
At Soton the entrances have barriers - pick up a ticket on entry then pay using machines before leaving - we were there for a scan which took 6hrs with all the waiting and cost £11.25!!
Cheapest we've ever paid was £4.25. But when you get off the highway roads you are greeted with a large sign saying it will take 60mins to get to the actual car park! That's when you see folks changing drivers and dashing off towards the hospital entrance on foot.
It's situated in the middle of a residential housing area with some on street parking so I can never envisage anybody else wanting to use it, anyway it's always full. Visitors to long term patients must spend a fortune?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 01 Sep 2016, 19:27

Doug wrote:Many years ago I used to do some sub contracting to a joinery firm, one job was in Solihull & that to had no where to park a double wheel based transit other than a short stay car park, we used to get a ticket every day for the month we were there as we left it there all day. We got to know the traffic warden quite well who one day enquired about the cost of all those tickets, to which the gaffa replied he knew he'd get a ticket each day but had priced it in to the job when he quoted as he worked in Solihull before :shock: :shock:

Yes, if I knew the parking on this job was a problem, I would have costed parking fines in as well, but fingers crossed, still no ticket yet and just a few hours on site tomorrow, I should be in the clear. :D
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 01 Sep 2016, 19:28

I've heard this before with hospitals etc - tis a frustrating one!

My saga continued today....... :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 01 Sep 2016, 19:58

Well, the parking saga continued again today.... I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :eusa-doh:

I arrived on site and parked my bus in the same out-of-the-way bay in the far corner of the car park. I bought a 1 hour ticket with the intention of phoning the parking peeps to buy one of these special ticket things. I phoned as soon as I got into the cottage... oh, after making a cup of tea ;)

Same as yesterday - answer phone. I left my name and number. Blokey calls back within 15 minutes. I explained the situation and asked to buy one of those tickets for the day. He said... "Why don't you just renew your ticket when it's expires?" I replied, "Because the maximum stay is only 3 hours and that's it for the whole day - apparently." "Oh." He says.

He then put me on hold to have a chat with his boss. He came back on the phone and said, "No that's fine, I've made an allowance for you today, so just renew your ticket when it expires." And he asked me for my vehicle details. Yippee sorted! :D

At 9:45, I strolled into the car park to buy another ticket and thought I'll do it on the phone as the facility is available and I didn't have the change, when a young lady approached me waving her ticket in the air which didn't expire until 11:15am'ish. I was most grateful and thanked her - bless. 8-) Back to work again.

Come 11:15'ish, I strolled into the car park again and stood by the pay machine getting all the details I need to make the phone call, when another young lady approached me waving her ticket in the air which still had an hour on it. I couldn't believe it :D Again, I was very grateful and thanked her kindly - beautiful.

Come 12:15'ish, I strolled into the car park again and this time, no one approached me :( . So, I phoned the car park peeps and oh boy, what a bleedin palava! The automated voice hung up on me twice (my sig was good) and then finally, I registered and bought a 3 hour ticket - with a surchange of 14p of course. This took almost 40 minutes! :| But that was my bus now sorted until roughly 4pm.

Come 4pm (well, 4:20 actually), I phoned to buy another ticket when the automated voice said... "Sorry, you've already used your maximum today - goodbye." :lol: :lol:

PRICELESS!! :lol: :lol:

I now only have 2-3 hours to finish the job and I would have worked on this evening, but to be honest, my knees and back were giving up on me, plus I had the 80 minute drive home, and... my mate phoned me (who lives fairly close to the job) asking if I could pop out to see him very soon, so this was my excuse to not finish tonight. I'll go out and finish tomorrow and then breeze over to Pete's for a brew and chat around lunchtime - sorted my lovelies. 8-)

I'll be posting lots of piccies of finished work tomorrow evening - beer night!

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 02 Sep 2016, 06:35

The parking issues blow my mind in all honesty, had it not been for those you would have been finished already! Bravo for carrying on carrying on, and I'm looking forward to the finished article!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Pinch » 02 Sep 2016, 19:44

Cheers Erich. It's a 'stay calm and carry on'

Finished work below.....
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 02 Sep 2016, 20:11

Project is now finished and the clients are extremely elated with the work - always makes me happy that - better than the actual payment I reckons. If only there was no such thing as darn money.

Okay, here are some piccies of my stuff finished. The clients will now decorate the stairs in with the actual room. They still have other building work to do as well.

First up; the 1st floor stair alteration...
Here is the stage when I prepared the existing flight ready to receive the new 3 winding tread jobby.

And from the top down - existing...

Now altered...

And various views of the alteration...

The ground floor stair alteration...
Again, here's the stage when I prepared the existing ready to receive the new.

From the top as existing...

And now altered...

And various angles of the finished work...

I always knew this project was going to be slightly challenging, but I have to say both stair alterations couldn't have gone in better. They were both mm accurate with their corresponding heights - new meeting old.

That's it chaps - hope you like! 8-)

I must also say, this project has been quite a journey in more ways than one. Although I've worked other smaller projects in with this project, I would be very happy to make another similar to this, but using oak.

All comments are welcome.

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Re: Stair alterations. NOW FINISHED

Postby kirkpoore1 » 02 Sep 2016, 21:58

Damn, that's nice. Are they going to seal the MDF parts before they paint?

I was going to suggest parking at the police station since you couldn't park anywhere else.:) I'm glad that you mostly escaped on that.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Mike G » 03 Sep 2016, 07:53

Nice job. I prefer the stair where you've replaced the straight flight with winders, but they're both a vast improvement. What are their plans for the floor? Tiling that little gap could be a test, unless they have a stack of spare tiles somewhere.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 03 Sep 2016, 07:58

I would be very happy to make another similar to this, but using oak.

Oh yes please.

Cracking work as usual, thanks for taking the tine to share it with us.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 03 Sep 2016, 12:12

Lovely work as usual Paul

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Sep 2016, 13:49

:text-bravo: :eusa-clap:

Lovely work Paul, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Pinch » 03 Sep 2016, 15:53

kirkpoore1 wrote:Damn, that's nice. Are they going to seal the MDF parts before they paint?

I was going to suggest parking at the police station since you couldn't park anywhere else.:) I'm glad that you mostly escaped on that.

Kirk

Cheers Kirk 8-) Yes, I expect so. I did mention about sealing or priming sooner will be better than later.

Ha ha... yes, parking in the local bobby station is a darn cool idea :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 03 Sep 2016, 15:56

Mike G wrote:Nice job. I prefer the stair where you've replaced the straight flight with winders, but they're both a vast improvement. What are their plans for the floor? Tiling that little gap could be a test, unless they have a stack of spare tiles somewhere.

Cheers Mike. They apparently have plenty of those tiles left over and are (apparently) very expensive. But now, they're going to remove the wall opposite the foot of the ground floor stair and extend out a wee bit. They have lots of work going on and is one of those slowly slowly catch the monkey jobbies. 8-)
Last edited by Pinch on 03 Sep 2016, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 03 Sep 2016, 15:57

Andyp wrote:
I would be very happy to make another similar to this, but using oak.

Oh yes please.

Cracking work as usual, thanks for taking the tine to share it with us.

:D Cheers Andy. Yes, it would be rather lovely that. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 03 Sep 2016, 15:57

Rod wrote:Lovely work as usual Paul

Rod

Cheers Rod 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 03 Sep 2016, 15:58

TrimTheKing wrote::text-bravo: :eusa-clap:

Lovely work Paul, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers Mark - tis always a pleasure chap. 8-)

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 03 Sep 2016, 16:16

Definitely a step up from the old ones :-D

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 03 Sep 2016, 16:32

Tusses wrote:Definitely a step up from the old ones :-D

Cheers Rich :lol:

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 03 Sep 2016, 17:57

Well, that depends. It you're already upstairs, they're a step down..... :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Commander » 04 Sep 2016, 06:22

Nice job as always Paul, it looks so much better than what it used to look!

Quick question, it looks like there is a hold in the floor at the bottom of the main stair, how will they go about fixing that?
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Doug » 04 Sep 2016, 08:23

Looks a big improvement Paul, the left hand newel on the upstairs flight looks a little overpowering having to be so long to pick up the stringer, but great workmanship I can see why you clients would be so pleased. :eusa-clap:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 04 Sep 2016, 09:08

Mike G wrote:

Well, that depends. It you're already upstairs, they're a step down..... :lol:

I think I prefer the 'step up' to the 'step down' :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 04 Sep 2016, 09:28

Commander wrote:Nice job as always Paul, it looks so much better than what it used to look!

Quick question, it looks like there is a hold in the floor at the bottom of the main stair, how will they go about fixing that?

Cheers Erich. Yes, that huge hole was where the old stair was sitting - bit naughty I reckons. The cottage is still an ongoing building project, so they will fill the hole with a sand & cement screed before making good the tiled floor. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP