It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:26

Malcolm's Boiler Doors

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Malcolm's Boiler Doors

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Jul 2016, 20:17

Hi Gents,

While I'm waiting for the PP to come through for the Garden Workshop, I thought I'd get a few jobs done in the house.

Before I retired, the last major job was to change the 1980s floor standing boiler for a modern condensing wall mounted version (the previous two jobs were take the wall down between the small kitchen and the back room and create a large farmhouse style kitchen, and.....rip out the bathroom from the dormer, take out all the wall plasterboard and ceiling and refill with insulation and install a new bathroom - it's now nice and warm to have a shower, and with the window open it clears quickly!)

Anyway, the floor boiler stood between two pillar walls and the new one is now at the kitchen wall cupboard level. So I have to make a pair of doors to match, or thereabouts, the commercial versions.

I've got a local supplier for MR MDF and I can route the relief in the MDF to nearly match the commercial.

My question is, the commercial finish is like a satin but not quite matt lacquer, cream in colour and I'm happy to paint and get a fairly good finish, but I've no idea what the best paint system for DF is.

There I've mastered the bloomin' photo bucket thingy...I think!

Any Ideas?

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Malcolm's Boiler Doors

Postby Mike G » 05 Jul 2016, 21:31

If you can't match exactly, Malcolm, then my advice is not to try to match at all. Do the doors in a contrasting colour.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Jul 2016, 21:38

Mike G wrote:If you can't match exactly, Malcolm, then my advice is not to try to match at all. Do the doors in a contrasting colour.

Mike, thanks. That had occurred to me and I could use the same colour as the walls, but my client, MC, wants the same. I realise that matching is almost impossible, but because the pillar separates the boiler doors from the commercial cupboards, I thought I could get away with a shade difference or two. In any case, I would still like to achieve the same smooth satin effect, whatever colour is eventually decided upon. Are there finishes out there in small quantities for the DIYer to get that finish on MDF?

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Robert » 05 Jul 2016, 22:23

I did a refresh on our old kitchen where I made new doors, drawer faces and changed some base cupboards to drawers. A new extension and new kitchen means it is all gone now but the painting proved quite durable.

I used MRMDF, primed it and painted it with Dulux trade eggshell. I ordered a particular colour but the trade place I got it from just mixed it there and then. I don't see why you couldn't get paint mixed to match your doors - just take a door/drawer front with you to somewhere that will colour match.

I sprayed all the new parts but the cabinet faces and visible sides I used a mini roller and it worked well with no 'brush' marks.

More recently I made cabinets for the bathroom and painted those with Morrells Fastmatch Acid Catalyst Lacquer bought online from wood-finishes-direct.com. I specified a RAL colour when ordering so I guess you'd have to identify the colour first. It's the real deal for a professional tough finish though and will be close to the originals for toughness.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 06 Jul 2016, 06:40

Did you spray the Morrells', Robert ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 06 Jul 2016, 08:52

RogerS wrote:Did you spray the Morrells', Robert ?

Yes. The acid catalyst thins it just right for my Fuji HVLP kit. Very nice finish. I'll be buying it again if I do another sizeable painted project. 5L of paint with catalyst and 5L of MDF primer (which is also very good and goes a long way so I've plenty left) came to £101 delivered. not cheap but the difference is obvious.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Jul 2016, 10:10

Robert and Roger,

Thank you. I've not got spray facilities yet, so will be looking for brush application with rubbing down in between. I've got pretty good at that over the years. I like the idea of paint mixing from one of the big suppliers, and I like the idea of a good primer. Think I'll go with both of those. And of course, if I take Mission Control with me to choose the colour, then it can't be my fault if it's not quite the same! Can it?!

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 06 Jul 2016, 10:32

Malc2098 wrote: And of course, if I take Mission Control with me to choose the colour, then it can't be my fault if it's not quite the same! Can it?!
Malcolm

Careful Malcolm, I've tried that in the past and all I got was.."but why did YOU let me choose it" :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 06 Jul 2016, 10:35

Do you have a dedicated spray booth, Robert? My understanding was that this stuff was pretty nasty to inhale.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Jul 2016, 13:12

Andyp wrote:
Malc2098 wrote: And of course, if I take Mission Control with me to choose the colour, then it can't be my fault if it's not quite the same! Can it?!
Malcolm

Careful Malcolm, I've tried that in the past and all I got was.."but why did YOU let me choose it" :D

Ha! Ouch, I better watch out for that one!!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Robert » 06 Jul 2016, 14:24

RogerS wrote:Do you have a dedicated spray booth, Robert? My understanding was that this stuff was pretty nasty to inhale.

A combination of good ventilation, a 12" plate fan extracting through the wall via a filter and organics filter mask meant I didn't even smell the paint when spraying. I convert the end of the workshop to a spray booth using dust sheets. means I can pack it away when not needed.

back on the OP's topic... I was thinking of one of these mixing services where they use a colour scanning device to analyse your sample then mix the paint to match. think even Homebase does it. hence suggestion to take a small panel from the kitchen for matching.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Jul 2016, 14:33

Robert wrote:
RogerS wrote:Do you have a dedicated spray booth, Robert? My understanding was that this stuff was pretty nasty to inhale.

back on the OP's topic... I was thinking of one of these mixing services where they use a colour scanning device to analyse your sample then mix the paint to match. think even Homebase does it. hence suggestion to take a small panel from the kitchen for matching.

Thanks, Robert,

I never knew they had that technology now. I've got a HB five minutes away!

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Jul 2016, 18:44

Well this photo's the reason I've applied for PP for a workshop. The level of brick where the weed is growing is the DPC, and as you can see the builder in the 60's built a path around the house that goes up a couple of bricks above the the DPC making the garage damp.

The next one also reinforces the fact that I haven't got enough room in the damp garage anyway!!

Anyway, the MR MDF arrived and I've started marking out.Image

And an original door for proportion comparison.Image

That's it for now. It's our wedding anniversary weekend, so nothing till Monday when MC goes back to work for her last week ever!! Then she'll be under my feet and another reason why I need a workshop (although she says I'll be under hers!!!)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Jul 2016, 12:06

Two door blanks marked up ready for the router next week.

Here's an interesting topic, my D-i-L is Taiwanese. When we went over to meet her family, I brought back a couple of tools, one of which is a ruler. Notice the comparison between inches and centimetres?!

The Taiwanese new measuring system appears to be ten inches to the foot and 3cm per inch. I have to remember not to use that side of the rule when measuring!! The other side is standard metric and imperial.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Robert » 09 Jul 2016, 12:17

Love the scale rule :)

I'll be interested to see how you rout the panels. it doesn't look easy.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Jul 2016, 12:23

Robert wrote:Love the scale rule :)

I'll be interested to see how you rout the panels. it doesn't look easy.

Lots of practice on scrap mdf!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Jul 2016, 13:26

Started practising routing the relief on scrap MDF.

First passes with the small round nose.

Warts 'n all! Wobbly edge of the MDF and wobbly operator!

Second passes with the small round nose. More warts 'n all!

Next passes with the flat cutter.

Now a comparison with the original.

Now I know the arc is wrong on the practice piece, but the radii were set up for the width of the new doors, so it'll be alright on the night!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby DaveL » 11 Jul 2016, 14:27

Well that is certainly looking doable, just need a steady hand.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Rod » 11 Jul 2016, 14:37

Are you using a guide or completely freehand?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Jul 2016, 15:09

And lastly with the edges rounded over.

The standard MDF ends up a little furry. I did a test run on the MR MDF and it has a much better finish after machining.

I've only used the straight guides that come with the router, and the radius guide. The radius pin needs a little hole in the surface, but that will fill and I don't think you will know it's been there.

Now, a little transcendental mediation to steady my hands and I'll have to do it for real!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Jul 2016, 17:39

Here they are.

Quite pleased with them. Just a bit of finishing off and then get one of the commercial doors scanned to copy the colour.

They'll be hung level with the top of the wall cupboards and they're long enough to cover the magnetic filter and pipework when you walk around the kitchen.

The space on the floor where the old boiler was is reserved for a butcher's block table that I've planned to make out the recycled worktops and doors of the old kitchen, in beech and cherry.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 11 Jul 2016, 20:38

Looking good

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Jul 2016, 10:23

One fits!

They both fit!

Just got to adjust them and fit the frieze above and then wait for a really still day to paint them. BTW the HB and B&Q paint scanning services are only for acrylic paint, so I found an almost identical satin ivory in B&Q and bought a couple of tins of white primer and one of the pistol grip thingies that you clip on to an aerosol.

The stains you can see on the faces are where I used Isopod the fill the wobbles and re-rout them. It seems to have worked.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 14 Jul 2016, 11:29

So far so good, nice job.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Jul 2016, 12:34

The forecast says tomorrow is the least windy day of last and next weeks, so I'm programmed to spray the doors - aerosols from B&Q. I reckon I can make a temporary spray booth by hanging poly sheet from all four sides of the garage up'n'over door (while in the open position!) giving me about 7'x7' to work in and hang the cupboard doors from the garage door braces. Wish me luck!

To get to that point I've been sanding and I cannot rate Abranet highly enough, on the ROS, on a sanding block and freehand!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Next

Return to Projects & WIP