It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:52

Veranda rebuild

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Veranda rebuild

Postby martc » 07 Jul 2016, 20:42

This is a subject that comes up every winter, yes it is winter here on the southern hemisphere,
"The house is too dark, there isn't enough sunlight getting in"
Our house has a 12meter long veranda across the front of the house, extending just over two meters wide
and sloping at the same angle as the roof, ( I will post pictures when I can remember how to do it, Its been too long since i last posted anything.)
We looked at some opening louvre roofs but decided that they spoil the old fashioned look of the house which has a corrugated tin roof.
I fitted a few skylights from some pieces of laminated glass that was given to me but I could never get them sealed properly.
I finally came up with an idea that I think might just work.
I am going to divide the roof into 12 sections, the first section will be fixed, the next will be hinged to swing open and be pinned flat underneath the fixed section.I will make 5 out of the 12 panels to open and the rest will be permanently fixed.
So today I started removing the old roof sheets, already there is a big difference in the amount of light coming in to the house.
Tomorrow I will go and fetch the timber and try to get the rest of the roof sheets removed
martc
Seedling

Name: Martin

Re: Veranda rebuild

Postby martc » 13 Jul 2016, 19:10

I managed to rip the whole roof and skylights out by Saturday afternoon.
Before;
During;
As you can see the woodwork was not up to a very high standard
As the front beam was in 4 sections and the only thing in decent condition that i wanted to keep I had to remove the rafters a few at a time and replace with the new ones one section at a time
By Sunday evening I had the old framework removed and most of the new frame in place,
This coming weekend I should finish the framework and the opening sections made and in place.
martc
Seedling

Postby Rod » 13 Jul 2016, 22:57

What sort of finish are you going to use and that looks like a proper dog kennel?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 14 Jul 2016, 08:46

The key question with a stoep is which way does it face? If this is north facing, then obviously you are in the process of letting a lot more sun directly into your house, hence increasing your internal temperature, and your air-conditioning costs. However, if it is south facing, all you get is diffuse (indirect) light with no impact on the house temperature. Would you expect to open the panels daily, or (more likely, I'm guessing), is this a seasonal thing?

The junction between the hinged panels and the fixed panels is going to be a really important detail, and you'll have an interesting job making the gutters work, but all in all, this looks like a nice idea, particularly as it retains the traditional look of the building.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby martc » 14 Jul 2016, 18:05

Hi Rod, Its all going to be painted to match the existing roof, Charcoal/Black. And the dog kennel was made from some ply that I had laying around and threw together about 8 years ago
Hi Mike,The stoep is north east facing and the openings don't extend all the way to the gutter, the gutter end of the corrugated where each opening goes will have a sliding section that will slide underneath the opening panel, that is the theory, I am not going to know if it works until I try it. I have drawn it all out roughly and I think I have worked out all of the tricky little details.
martc
Seedling

Postby martc » 21 Jul 2016, 15:45

Things are not going as quick as I would have liked, combination of work commitments and adjusting things to get the fit that I wanted meant that one opening panel was in place by Saturday mid afternoon.

Things then started to come together nicely.
Before each opening panel was assembled I ran one piece through the table saw and put a 10 degree chamfer
along one edge to ensure that it didn't catch on the fixed frame.

This is the panel half open,

Panel clamped to underside of the framework

I have secured this against the fixed panel with two 'U' shaped pieces of 10mm round bar. What a mission to bend these accurately using a vice and a piece of hollow bar as a lever,

Every thing is now in place for the painting phase of the project, I hate doing this so have told my better half that this is her job, Just need to see how long the painting will take,
martc
Seedling

Postby Rod » 21 Jul 2016, 21:56

I was thinking in my innocence that they would open upwards - how are you going to weather proof them from say any rain?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby martc » 31 Jul 2016, 13:23

Hi Rod, the corrugated sheeting has to overlap each other to form a seal so each opening has the sheets overlapping the opening both sides, this does cut down the amount of light by a small amount but not too much.
I haven't had any time to work on the veranda due to a rat!
My brother in law called me to ask why none of his doors would shut, the answer, they were all swollen from damp. the cause of the problem was a rat that had chewed through the overflow pipe where it connects to the waste pipe of the bath, so for a long time there has been water draining into the floor of the bathroom and spreading throughout the whole house under the tiled floors.
As with most things here building standards are not quite what they should be. for instance the bath has a brick wall all round it with no access panel to see what is going on, so the only way to see what is wrong is to remove tiles off the wall, chip away the cement seal around the bath and then lift the bath out.
so for the past 8 days all I have been doing is stripping his bathroom, replacing all the copper pipes which were starting to seep water from being so thin, removing wall and floor tiles and trying to dry the place out.
Where the bath had been leaking was a hole in the floor that I could get my arm into right up to my elbow.
I should get back on track with the veranda next weekend.
martc
Seedling

Postby Rod » 31 Jul 2016, 19:08

Oh dear that sounds nasty - I hate rats!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP