It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:33

Mini Workshop (its only temporary, honest!)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mini Workshop (its only temporary, honest!)

Postby woodstalker » 18 Jul 2016, 17:16

Tusses wrote:I have one of those panel carrying thingamajigs from the video too. Mine must be 17 yrs old now :o

Wish I'd seen the video a bit earlier I was wielding a full sheet of OSB yesterday which was awkward.

Downloaded and printed the plans for the saw cheers Bob, looks like a good project although they keep referring to tools I don't have yet "trim these on your bandsaw" :) However I think I can be creative and avoid that bit.

Anyone got some tips for a good circular saw that I could use for this and have as a track saw? I figured a good powerful one would be a must for the panel saw project but there's quite a few models out there.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 18 Jul 2016, 21:35

go to somewhere that has a good range and handle them !

the more power .. the heavier they get.

I bought a beefy skil saw, but it's pretty heavy

think how you most will use it .. with a smaller trim saw do ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 18 Jul 2016, 21:42

Tusses wrote:go to somewhere that has a good range and handle them !

the more power .. the heavier they get.

I bought a beefy skil saw, but it's pretty heavy

think how you most will use it .. with a smaller trim saw do ?

Cheers, maybe a trip to Axminster Basingstoke one Saturday might be the order of the day! :D
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jul 2016, 21:45

I don't know what thickness panels you will be cutting but maybe 18-25 max?
That wont need a huge saw, 180mm blade perhaps
I'd explore picking up a known brand used one off the bay and then dedicate it to the machine. Then you can modify it drill holes in it etc without worrying about using it off the machine as well.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jul 2016, 21:50

I bought a second hand Festool TS75 off eBay, already taken its depreciation hit and I got for a good price and it's been bang on for me. Heavy but with a 75mm cut depth very versatile indeed.

Worth a look, and if you can afford Festool second hand then you won't have to buy again.

There are, I'm sure, cheaper and very good alternatives out there but I decided long ago to stop wasting money on cheap and take the 'buy once, buy right' mentality. Takes me longer to save up, but also stops me wasting money at the same time.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Mini Workshop (its only temporary, honest!)

Postby Rod » 18 Jul 2016, 23:15

Folks on the other forum were saying good things about the Lidl Track Saw at £69 I think??
I've got a cheap B&D one that's served me well for over 20yrs and which I only generally use for cutting up sheet materials.
My track is a length of straight ply/MDF and two clamps.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 19 Jul 2016, 22:55

9fingers wrote:I have uploaded a copy of the article that I referred to into the the drop box.

Link on the top right of forum pages.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I found a video online of a guy that made this saw:

[youtube]RbvGl0UYkG8[/youtube]

Looks pretty good, just need to get some other tools first in order to make some of it. :D
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 20 Jul 2016, 09:14

For some reason I cannot open that video link?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Jul 2016, 09:24

Rod wrote:For some reason I cannot open that video link?

Rod

Direct link here Rod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbvGl0UYkG8

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 20 Jul 2016, 12:22

Still doesn't open - weird

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby tracerman » 20 Jul 2016, 15:08

I am the proud possessor of a Safety Speedcut Cincinatti C4 . I bought it on a lease-buy arrangement in the late eighties when I was using a lot of MDF and birch Ply . I can honestly say that it has never been used as much as it should , to justify the expense , but when in use it has been brilliant . It sits in my museum and is probably used about once every six months . Those guys who have concocted their own panel saws have my esteemed admiration , some of them are damned good .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby woodstalker » 28 Jul 2016, 20:46

So i have slowly been gathering some of the hardware required for the panel saw and seen a couple of ways that might make its construction a bit easier.

I got a new Axcalibur cross cutting blade for my cheapie SCMS which has made a world of difference to it's cutting ability.

Also took delivery of my first "proper" piece of machinery :eusa-dance: :

Its a bit bigger than i was anticipating but it works well, it used to be in a school apparently. There is a bit of damage to the toothed rail that the table goes up and down on but i think it is easily fixable.

Its a axminster HD16FC, does anyone know where i could get the manual for it? :eusa-think:

Also purchased a little bandsaw off eBay, a table top one made by Elu. Don't know much about it but it was so cheap i took a punt and figured it would be a good start point.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 30 Jul 2016, 22:45

re- panel saw .. this is the sort of thing I started with

http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop ... l-saw.aspx
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 31 Jul 2016, 21:49

Tusses wrote:re- panel saw .. this is the sort of thing I started with

http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop ... l-saw.aspx

Thanks Tusses, i am slowly getting the bits together to make one up, found a few good ideas which i hope will make it all fit in my current space.

Need to put together a starter workbench first and get my "new" machines all working and into some semblance of order to.

James
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 01 Aug 2016, 21:17

So gave the new old bandsaw a good vacuuming out and ordered 3 new tuffs blades. Anyone used one of the Axminster fence upgrades you can get, the one that came with it is a bit pants to say the least?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-small-rip-fence-upgrade-100257

Also wondering about the lack of roller guides; it uses little angled bits of metal to guide the blade.

Won a MAKITA 5704R CIRCULAR SAW on eBay for my panel saw project.

Got some timber coming from to knock up a more robust temp workbench and start to put together the panel saw frame once the workbench is done and i can put my new machinery out of the way.

Still not sorted the pillar drill table track, its chucking it down here so my motivation to go out to the workshop is not very high at the moment.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 13 Aug 2016, 19:51

Busy couple of days; i have built a workbench based on one i saw Matthias Wandel build on youtube. My timber arrived from Travis perkins but the planed lengths were quite bendy and so i didn't fancy trying to use them, so i had a rummage round in the stores and found i had a fair bit of 3x3 sawn timber left over from various garden projects and figured that would be better:

So set to work with my SCMS fitted with the new cross cutting blade i got for it:

I remembered that someone mentioned that the workbench needed some weight to it, in order to prevent it moving about so i had a load of joist off cuts from when this house was built and figured i could incorporate them to give some mass low down on the bench:

So i followed the video and used 20mm dowels in the joints along with screws and glue to keep it all nice and stiff:

I ripped a sheet of 18mm hardwood ply down the middle (badly) to make the top and glued and screwed (again badly) it into place. I found this morning that even with the 3x3 top rails there was still a bit of wobble in the bench so i used some of the PSE timber from Travis Perkins to make two cross braces for the back and that has cured it:

Workbench done i then watched the Alex Snodgrass video on youtube and set about putting the new blade in my band saw, found i was missing one of the guide block grub screws so ordered some new ones fromBolt Base and used one i found fitted which was way too long as a temporary measure. Anyway got the band saw going nicely, just need to have a think about the fence, its not great...

Next i laid the pillar drill down and took the motor etc off:

Which was a bit of a man test; very heavy. Then put the replacement table raising track on. Compared to the old one:

All back together and working like a charm. So after a bit of a tidy up i am left with half the mini workshop looking like this:

Next big job is to start building the wall mounted panel saw. After a little sit down of course! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Aug 2016, 20:12

Good Job!

That dodgy table raising track is just how my legs go on a couple of bottle of Ringwood Old Thumper!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby woodstalker » 13 Aug 2016, 21:10

Malc2098 wrote:Good Job!

That dodgy table raising track is just how my legs go on a couple of bottle of Ringwood Old Thumper!

Cheers Malc, i was going to have a crack at straightening it but Axminster still stock the spares and i thought for the price i might as well get a new one. Nothing wrong with a bit of Ol' Thumper, not recommended operating heavy machinery though ;) Great progress on clearing the site for your workshop by the way. I have some stumps to get rid of where mine will eventually go, just had a guy come round to quote to build the first retaining wall and i reckon i will get my turbo incinerator on the go and do them in turn in situ; just dig under them a bit and then get a fire going and the blower in there!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Aug 2016, 21:58

You little pyro!

I'm thinking of getting a stump grinder firm in to do it. They should be in and out in an hour. Hope it won't cost a lot.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby woodstalker » 16 Aug 2016, 21:58

Well the quote for the wall was a bit more than I was expecting which is disappointing. Not sure how to proceed on that one; it's too much for me to do on my own currently especially with the little one but the wall will form one end of the base for my workshop.

On the plus side I built some sawhorses today:

Now just waiting for some damper weather to do some burning (my neighbour on that side goes away for a week in the morning!) :twisted:
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby MattS » 17 Aug 2016, 12:31

Now you have saw horses why not build a frame to match a standard sheet size and then use the circular saw on top with a guide?

I have knock down saw horses and frame which all just slot together. There's some movement in it but then I figure I very rarely cut down full sheets so it does the job while taking up minimum space in storage.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 17 Aug 2016, 20:40

MattS wrote:Now you have saw horses why not build a frame to match a standard sheet size and then use the circular saw on top with a guide?

I have knock down saw horses and frame which all just slot together. There's some movement in it but then I figure I very rarely cut down full sheets so it does the job while taking up minimum space in storage.

Still planning on building the wall mounted panel saw to do my sheet materials, i have a fair bit of outside space but its right next to my neighbour so i can't be out sawing all the time, so the plan is the wall mounted panel saw which is inside the mini workshop so i can use it whenever i need to.

In the interim i will use the saw horses and circular saw when i can.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 18 Aug 2016, 13:36

Found out there is a small reclamation yard quarter of a mile from me so went up there this lunchtime to have a nose round and look at all the old timber hardwood and other bits and saw a couple of big clamps there which i thought i might be able to clean up and add to my equipment in the workshop. The bloke there pulled out four more so i bought the lot:

normally i clean up this sort of thing with the the grinder, but does anyone (Wallace?) have any other tips for getting this unseized and up to scratch (or at least useable!) Some plusgas rather than wd40 for example...
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP