It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:00

Mini Workshop (its only temporary, honest!)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Mini Workshop (its only temporary, honest!)

Postby woodstalker » 16 Jul 2016, 21:48

So planning permission for the actual workshop in the garden is in, but with a new baby and some house remodelling also on the cards i can see the garden and, most importantly, my workshop not getting built anytime soon.

I read the forum every night and when I'm sat with my daughter watch a lot of woodworking on youtube. So despite not actually having any tools yet i am itching to start making stuff.

This weekend i decided enough was enough and i needed a space to fill with machinery and horribly mangled bits of wood. In lieu of having storage in the loft we have a sort of storeroom under the house so i decided that through the use of clever stacking, some new shelves and a general tidy up i could get at least half the space to be a mini workshop.

Heres how it started out:

I hasten to add that we moved in at the end of November last year and everything that didn't have anywhere to live ended up in here. Then i had to clear out a garage worth of stuff i was storing at my parents whilst we were renting and that got shoved in here too. So i had a ton of scrap wood about the place and i fashioned another set of shelves to put the boxes and storage bins on and i think its been successful so far.

There are the shelves back right:

Dinner and bath time called an end to the day bit i reckon tomorrow a good bonfire will solve a few of my storage issues. Then i need to go through the boxes one by one and be ruthless.

Heres how it finished up today:

It gives me a space about 3m long by 2.3m wide, a bit more sorting out and i can start to purchase some tools/machinery and then make some more/better storage solutions in here.

I've saved up a bit of money to buy stuff so any recommendations for someone just starting out gratefully received. I only have a B&Q type mitre saw, Wickes Jigsaw, Dewalt NiCd cordless drill driver and an Erbauer (from Screwfix) impact driver and a pitiful selection of mediocre hand tools. We all have to start somewhere! :eusa-violin:
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Mini Workshop (its only temporary, honest!)

Postby DaveL » 16 Jul 2016, 21:53

Well done, that is useable space, have fun working in it.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Rod » 16 Jul 2016, 23:12

Beef up your bench or make a new one with a woodworkers vice.
Make some stacking saw horses.
Buy tools as you need them and buy the best you can afford.
I still use a B&D circular saw I bought 30yrs ago and straight pieces of timber as a guide with some clamps to cut sheets down.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Jul 2016, 23:17

You've done a grand job. My garage has been full and untidy for ten years since I moved here. Wish it had as much space as you've created. We do all have to start somewhere and I started collecting cheap woodworking hand tools over 40 years ago and power tools and machines more recently. Now, I've retired, I'm waiting for the PP to build the man shed. You seem to be getting there much quicker than I am. Well done!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby tracerman » 16 Jul 2016, 23:28

Woodstalker - the camera makes it look quite long and narrow , but you say its only 3 m long x 2.3 wide . A good point is that it looks like you have a nice flat floor . If you have any kind of bench make it strong but long and narrow . maximize storage space . If you graduate to a saw bench or planer thicknesser , these could be just inside the door so you get clearance on the " cut " side of the blade . You would be working partially outside . You wont have much room for assembly inside , but long and narrow is good . As Rod says just accumulate your gear as and when you need it . Good luck .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Andyp » 17 Jul 2016, 08:34

Remember size is not important, it is what you do with it that counts!

As for my tools, I have always started with projects. I want to build this, using these materials, and then decide what tools I need to do it.

One of my earlier projects which I built in the dining room on top of an old table was an oak dining table. I bought rough sawn oak boards from a sawmill in Shewsbury, hired an electric hand planer to smooth them, a B&D circular saw to size them, and dowel points and an electric drill to join them together. I went to a local turning club with the 4 legs and an exisiting chair and asked if someone was willing to turn the legs to match the chair. The chap that did them even offered to cut the mortices for me so all I had to do was hand cut the tenons (in the rails) and add some pegs (dowels).

So decide what you want to make first then choose the tools to match both you abilities and space available to use them.

Oh, and accurate measuring and marking and the ability to cut to the line is more important than anything else.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby woodstalker » 17 Jul 2016, 09:04

Thanks very much for the positive comments, it's one of the reasons I joined this forum after stalking it for a while.

The bench on the right was put in by the previous owner and I was using it for sorting out the car parts which I am selling to fund my new habit. Plan to take that down and reuse the wood to make some more shelving behind the look boxes. Need to sort out the multitude of tools and other bits that have just been chucked on it as I cleared the floor.

That will leave me a nice big working are to make some mobile bits to work from. Outside the door is a gravelled are but its nice and big for working in as long as it's not raining!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 Jul 2016, 15:37

Consider a vertical panel cutting Jig for breaking down full sheets up against the wall :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 17 Jul 2016, 17:27

Tusses wrote:Consider a vertical panel cutting Jig for breaking down full sheets up against the wall :-)

I've never hear of one of those before, i shall have quick internet search and find out, thanks.

finished off today, just need to start sorting through the boxes one by one. anyway here we are:

And some extra shelving today:

Now to think of some little starter projects. I think i will need to get some sort of dust extraction going, even if its just one of those shop top vacuums to connect to a tool as i'm using it. I like the ones with the power outlet on them that only come on when the tool is drawing power through them.

I suspect some saw horses will be needed, so that might be a good start.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 17 Jul 2016, 17:46

Looking at the price of vertical panel saws i think i will have to have a go at making one :eusa-think: . They look like a good bit of kit; especially for a little workshop like mine.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 17 Jul 2016, 17:47

This is on of the best DIY wall panel saw designs that I've seen.

Somewhere (!?!) I have the original article. It is on my round 2-it list

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby StevieB » 17 Jul 2016, 18:05

I would also recommend considering knocking up a frame and making some ply doors to separate your workshop from your storage area. Doesn't have to be fancy but it will stop sawdust etc from going all over your long terms storage area - this can be a considerable inconvenience and ruin items that you thought were safe and secure.

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 Jul 2016, 18:34

the vertical panel jig in it's simplest can be a few 2x4's, straight edge with circ saw offest (home made) and some clamps (how I started)

or as elaborate as a roller guided horizontal and vertical track saw :)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 17 Jul 2016, 19:38

Cheers guys, i think i will have to make something rather than buy, but then thats all the fun of it!

Bob, did you have the plans for the one you saw by any chance?

Steve, yes thats a good idea, i will have a think at a way of doing it.

Cheers Tusses i think thats how will start off and maybe modify/build up capability from there!

James :)
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 Jul 2016, 20:20

I'll try and find(or make) some basic pics of how it works :D
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 17 Jul 2016, 20:26

I have uploaded a copy of the article that I referred to into the the drop box.

Link on the top right of forum pages.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby woodstalker » 17 Jul 2016, 21:00

Bob, just downloading it now.

Tusses, thanks very much looking forward to seeing it.

Found this one a guy made for a few pounds on youtube:

Edited to try and make link work:

[youtube]cu5UU10F7NQ[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/cu5UU10F7NQ

Any ideas why the "YouTube" function thingy doesn't work for me?

MOD Edit (TrimTheKing) : I've fixed it for you, the only bit you need in between the tags is the random number/letter sequence at the end of YT links. In your case, this bit "cu5UU10F7NQ". Cheers.
Last edited by woodstalker on 18 Jul 2016, 07:19, edited 3 times in total.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jul 2016, 21:49

Rod wrote:Beef up your bench or make a new one with a woodworkers vice.
Make some stacking saw horses.
Buy tools as you need them and buy the best you can afford.
I still use a B&D circular saw I bought 30yrs ago and straight pieces of timber as a guide with some clamps to cut sheets down.

Rod

:text-+1:
This is a similar idea to AndyP, i.e. buy the tools as you need them for each project, but bear in mind what the Schwarz said in the Anarchist's Tool Chest and that is that you can build great furniture with around 50 or less quality hand tools. The bench is also your primary and most important tool; without a decent one you'll still be able to build stuff, but not as easily or enjoyably - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 17 Jul 2016, 22:24

Woodbloke wrote: The bench is also your primary and most important tool; without a decent one you'll still be able to build stuff, but not as easily or enjoyably - Rob

oh I dunno .. MY TS and outfeed have been my available workbench for years ! lol

My Real WB is buried in the corner :(

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 17 Jul 2016, 22:36

Hmm!
I don't have a bench as such, but like tusses, i have a decent outfeed table.
I did buy a couple of vices but have not found the need for them and they are dumped under the RAS.
I do have a couple of planes but can't see how to plug them in so they done see much action.
Now chisels are used to scrape glue squeeze out from internal corners and a not so sharp one is good for scraping dried glue off the outfeed table But if you machine joints properly they dont need adjusting with a chisel

So Rob there is nowt wrong with your way of woodworking and you turn out excellent stuff :eusa-clap: but it is not the ONLY way to work wood.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jul 2016, 10:43

9fingers wrote:Hmm!
I did buy a couple of vices but have not found the need for them and they are dumped under the RAS.
I do have a couple of planes but can't see how to plug them in so they done see much action.
Now chisels are used to scrape glue squeeze out from internal corners and a not so sharp one is good for scraping dried glue off the outfeed table But if you machine joints properly they dont need adjusting with a chisel

So Rob there is nowt wrong with your way of woodworking and you turn out excellent stuff :eusa-clap: but it is not the ONLY way to work wood.

Bob

As ever, horses for dooberies, but your's is an engineering approach whereas I come at stuff from a different perspective. The bench allows me to use hand tools on parts of a project where it's extremely difficult or almost impossible to achieve the same result with machines alone:

Detailed rasp and shaping work on the leg profiles, 'Birds Mouth' mortise and tenons, wedged, raised and profiled mortise and tenons in the leg; shaped and made with a Jap paring chisels, shaped and fitted cross rail. All almost impossible to do without a proper bench, hand tools and the holding facilities that a good bench provides - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jul 2016, 10:45

woodstalker wrote:Bob, just downloading it now.

MOD Edit (TrimTheKing) : I've fixed it for you, the only bit you need in between the tags is the random number/letter sequence at the end of YT links. In your case, this bit "cu5UU10F7NQ". Cheers.

Fixed for you, see above.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby woodstalker » 18 Jul 2016, 11:11

TrimTheKing wrote:
woodstalker wrote:Bob, just downloading it now.

Fixed for you, see above.

Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jul 2016, 13:04

Woodbloke wrote:
9fingers wrote:Hmm!

Bob

As ever, horses for dooberies, but your's is an engineering approach whereas I come at stuff from a different perspective. The bench allows me to use hand tools on parts of a project where it's extremely difficult or almost impossible to achieve the same result with machines alone:

Detailed rasp and shaping work on the leg profiles, 'Birds Mouth' mortise and tenons, wedged, raised and profiled mortise and tenons in the leg; shaped and made with a Jap paring chisels, shaped and fitted cross rail. All almost impossible to do without a proper bench, hand tools and the holding facilities that a good bench provides - Rob

Only teasing you Rob - superb example of your craft btw!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Tusses » 18 Jul 2016, 15:18

I have one of those panel carrying thingamajigs from the video too. Mine must be 17 yrs old now :o
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to Projects & WIP