It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:11

Most Cost Effective Shed Build?

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Most Cost Effective Shed Build?

Postby Beartricks » 01 Aug 2016, 12:37

Hi,

As I stated in my intro thread, I need to get a shed up before we find a place for all our stuff in our new house and all that's left is my tools dotted about all over the place.

It's a rented mid-terrace. We do have access to the garden from the road, but it's down the side of the neighbours' house, they don't speak any English and it's hit or miss as to whether they will have all of their six cars (and counting) crammed on to the drive and their back patio at any one time. We had some issues having a fridge delivered a couple of weeks ago but thankfully we're only renting so it's a temporary issue.

Anyway, on that topic I wanted the shed on the grass so it was in full view, I could paint it to look nice and maybe organise a seating/bbq area around it. The problem is that the grass isn't quite flat (bumpy rather than sloped) and it being a rental means that digging everything up and filling it with concrete isn't an option. My other option is a paved area at the bottom of the garden which unfortunately doesn't get a lot of light and is obscured by a poorly thought out bush. Getting a level shed would be much easier there, it seems.

The lathe is the biggest consideration, however I want a workbench too. I managed in a 6'x8' shed at my old place with the lathe, workbench and lots of wall storage. It conveniently prevents me from buying too many big tools. Ideally I'd like to upgrade to a 8x10 however I realise that might not be feasible. The usable space on the paved area is approximately 6x8, with a rickety old 4 by something shed beside it which will be useful for timber storage.

Anyway, waffling aside, I've been looking at off-the-shelf sheds however the number one rule of woodworking states that it will be cheaper if you build it yourself. I'm struggling to see this with the shed, however, and I've had at least one person tell me that sheds often go for less than the price of equivalent timber simply because the timber used in them is so poor that it can't be sold by itself. I'm not sure how true this is, but I've seen some sheds that support the idea.

The price for a T&G 6x8 seems to be around £400. Am I ever going to get it cheaper than that if I buy the components myself? I'd probably have to have them delivered and I'm fairly unfamiliar with timber yards round here. The ones I have visited conform to the usual stereotypes unfortunately so recommendations would be appreciated (Wigan area or close enough that delivery isn't an issue). After timber, I'd want to insulate it and line it with OSB; I might be able to get free felt but the jury's out.

Any help would be appreciated. I posted in Projects and WIP because most shed builds seem to be in here, but if it's more suited to General Woodworking considering I haven't started the thing yet then feel free to move it mods. I'd post photos of the garden but I'm still in the 3 post trial period.
Beartricks
Seedling

Name:

Re: Most Cost Effective Shed Build?

Postby RogerS » 01 Aug 2016, 13:00

Hi and a belated welcome from me.

The one question that occurs to me is that if your stay is only temporary is it worth all the hassle of building your own shed? If you really do need something then I'd go the £400 route and either take it (or what's still left standing :D ) with you or leave it behind.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 01 Aug 2016, 13:01

OK you are through the 3 post limit now and your post will appear immediately.

As for shed prices, I doubt that a self build shed will cost less than a kit one BUT a diy one will have the capability to be better quality.
If this is a temporary home for you then maybe you don't want it to last too long and you won't feel compelled to take it with you.

I think the first thought process is-
1)Do you want to build something that you can move when you do?
2) Do your current funds run to a diy design bearing in mind making one that you will be able to dismantle and move will possibly cost more than one that doesn't.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Aug 2016, 13:07

What about something like THIS...?

More expensive but solid and secure as hell and transportable when you move.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 01 Aug 2016, 13:10

TrimTheKing wrote:What about something like THIS...?

Cheers
Mark

Condensation?

Plus if he gets any machines inside then those metal walls are going to SING!!!

And mega-heat loss in winter and heat gain in the sun.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Aug 2016, 13:22

RogerS wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:What about something like THIS...?

Cheers
Mark

Condensation?

Plus if he gets any machines inside then those metal walls are going to SING!!!

And mega-heat loss in winter and heat gain in the sun.

Condensation - It's ventilated.

Could still insulate the walls with Kingspan if he wanted…

Just an idea, didn't say it's a good one…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Tusses » 01 Aug 2016, 14:08

I have a tin roof .. insulation under, then vapour barrier .. in the winter the tin roof .. which isn't air tight to outside, gets frost on the underside .. then the sun melt it .. arhh !!

when I get a chance, I will take the tin off and felt underneath.

I would say , scratch the ground .. plasic sheet .. sand .. free paving slabs .. for the base .

2x2's or cheap CLS from the shed walls ..

2x2'sagain and OSB for the roof with felt on.

tin or ext ply for the walls ..

should come in well under £400 ! ..

tin is cheaper than ply BTW and they will cut to lengths and deliver ..
but then I'd plasterboard inside , as I have mine . with rockwool and plastic in between.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 01 Aug 2016, 14:18

I've been through a similar thought process because my daughter wants a new shed at her place.

It will be cheaper to buy one and it will be an easier solution but it will not be as good. that may not matter too much to her but it will to me so I've talked myself into making it.

I moved her existing small shed (6 x 4) and it did come apart into large panels but the roof with its felt covering had to be carried in one piece due to that felt covering nailed on. All the battens making up the framing were pretty flimsy and the T+G cladding very thin. The door is just some T+G strips with a few battens on the back.The base is a sheet of 10mm OSB. The whole thing is insecure and has so many gaps my daughter will not go inside as it is spider heaven.

Don't know when I'll get round to it but when I do I'll keep a note of costings. just for interest that is as I doubt she expects to pay for it!
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Beartricks » 01 Aug 2016, 15:14

9fingers wrote:OK you are through the 3 post limit now and your post will appear immediately.

As for shed prices, I doubt that a self build shed will cost less than a kit one BUT a diy one will have the capability to be better quality.
If this is a temporary home for you then maybe you don't want it to last too long and you won't feel compelled to take it with you.

I think the first thought process is-
1)Do you want to build something that you can move when you do?
2) Do your current funds run to a diy design bearing in mind making one that you will be able to dismantle and move will possibly cost more than one that doesn't.

Bob

This is definitely a temporary place, but we have no idea when we'll be able to move and how much space we'll end up with when we do so a 10x8 might be a waste after all. You make some good points about dismantling and it does surprise me that a shed from a kit seems to cost less than it's component parts.

Am I right in thinking that an overlap shed would be a complete waste of money? The last one I was in was T&G (maybe shiplap) and it leaked, although I think the previous tenant did a bad job of putting it together. I can't imagine that overlap could be particularly watertight.
Beartricks
Seedling

Name:

Postby Rod » 01 Aug 2016, 16:11

My original shed was an off the shelf Waltons 8'x6' and apart from a change of felt lasted 20yrs before the roof started to sag.
The Shiplap was in good condition so I used it to clad my new shed build.
Which was based on 100x50 CLS framework, insulated with 100mm Rockwool and lined with 12mm OSB. Roof EPDM on 18mm OSB and insulated as above. Basically following Mike's Shed Design.
The shed was 3.6m X 2.8m and was built against a brick corner so effectively 2 new sides - the wood alone cost £700, EPDM £150 with adhesives- outer cladding and doors reused -free.

For a permanent shed make your own but for a temporary situation get a ready made and dismantle it when you move - they come apart very easily and the cladding can be reused.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Beartricks » 01 Aug 2016, 16:19

Off the shelf it is then. At least it's slightly less of a headache.

(Probably) the last question before I order it, but what's the best base to use on concrete paving? I've never done anything structural before, I'm more used to making bowls, carving things and refinishing the odd charity shop find.

I have a pile of red bricks. Any good for a base? (Please go easy on me). :?

Quick edit: Incidentally I found a post on another forum, while doing a google search, regarding insulation for a shed. Apparently, B&Q sold loft insulation for £3 a few years ago. Now it's £18 for the same product.
Beartricks
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 01 Aug 2016, 20:02

Put brick supports under the floor support timbers. Put pieces of damp proof course between the top of the brick and the timber. I this way the floor should be kept dry and air can flow underneath to let everything breathe.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to Workshop Builds