It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:12

Garden Gate in chestnut

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Garden Gate in chestnut

Postby Andyp » 02 Aug 2014, 11:57

Another recently completed project

Garden Gate

The old one was quite rotten

The new gate is made from chestnut with a few design details that I hope will prevent, or at least prolong the onset of, the wood from rotting.

Layout

Tenons made on the tablesaw

Mortices on the morticer

Gluing up the frame

The panels are nailed into rebates in rails

Numbers cut on the scroll saw

It is difficult to see in the pictures but all top surfaces of the rails were chamfered to allow water to run off. The top rail is on top of the stiles so that the exposed end grain is to the side and not the top and space left below each panel to prevent water being trapped.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Garden Gate in chestnut

Postby Rod » 02 Aug 2014, 12:24

Nice work - what finish did you use?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 Aug 2014, 12:50

Hi, Rod, thanks.

The finish is this http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/shed_and_fence_protector.jsp which is my preferred finish for just about everything outdoors. Spirit based so it soaks into the wood. Does not leave a skin so reapplying is a doddle just brush of the dirt and slop it on.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 02 Aug 2014, 13:30

Nice, but curious to see the stiles finishing below the rails. I guess you are trying to reduce the exposure of end-grain timber horizontally to the elements.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 Aug 2014, 14:06

Mike you are spot on. Since coming up with the design i=I have only seen about 3 others with the top rail like this and I have looked at 100s!.
Here is another picture of the rot on the old gate. I was determined that the new one would not suffer the same fate.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 03 Aug 2014, 08:38

Andyp wrote:Mike you are spot on. Since coming up with the design i=I have only seen about 3 others with the top rail like this and I have looked at 100s!.
Here is another picture of the rot on the old gate. I was determined that the new one would not suffer the same fate.

Looks very good Andy.

I am clueless :( about constructing gates etc, but the way you built it is logical (for me) and I would have done the same.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 03 Aug 2014, 08:42

Phil, there is logical - to you and me, and then there is traditional and what is easy to make.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Tusses » 13 Jun 2016, 15:59

I like the wood work .. good job :-)

I don't like the metal work .. spoils the wood work for me
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Jun 2016, 16:48

Tusses wrote:I like the wood work .. good job :-)

I don't like the metal work .. spoils the wood work for me

You are probably right. It was a case of using the existing hardware as the hinge bolts were set into the stone pillar. I nearly lost my wedding tackle trimming the lower hinge to fit my slightly thinner bottom rail.

Sparks from the angle grinder set my overalls alight.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Tusses » 13 Jun 2016, 17:21

I hope that's your thumb ! :shock:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 14 Jun 2016, 06:17

Hi Andy,

"look at that original gate, rotten through and through" that was a truly neglected gate for sure.

I'm sure your new gate with contemporary design will be much better cared for and last a long time.

It's a bit more clear to me now why you asked the question about end grain on top of framed gates in my thread.

When you take a look at that original gate you have replaced, it was completely rotten in every location not just the end grain on top of the stile.

You seem to be a bit of a rebel when it comes to woodwork and traditional methods of construction, not to say that there is anything wrong with trying new ideas though. There are a few reasons why we traditionalists use horizontal jointing methods and don't tend to use vertical mortice and tenon joints in gates and doors. The main one is strength. Quite often in the past doors and gates just had the joints painted and wedged, sometimes draw bored as well. Constructing doors using traditional methods was the only time tested way to ensure a door or gate remained rigid and stable.

Of course today we have modern glues which are far superior to anything we had years ago (paint) so jointing methods have, in recent years, been greatly experimented with and now we use biscuits, finger joints, dowels, domino's and of course the vertical mortice and tenon too.

It's hard to really argue that any of these methods will or won't last longer that the other because modern glues are really that good that most joints if constructed correctly will last.

Well done that man for thinking out of the box.

Mark

Mod edit: Link added to your gate thread
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2016, 09:42

Mark, thanks you for you comments. You may also notice I choose not to inset the panels. There are all a couple of mm short of the rails which were angled to shed water. Hopefully there is nowhere for moisture to collect.

I also edited your post to link to your thread.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby AJB Temple » 24 Jan 2021, 22:03

Reading the old book on gates that Andy posted in Mr T's thread, even back in the 1880's they were advocating chamfers and curves to aid water run off and minimising joints that water could seep in to.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP