It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:07

wadkin CO restoration

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

wadkin CO restoration

Postby wallace » 06 Sep 2016, 17:57

Here we go again :D This one has been outside for a couple of years and is pretty rough. The strange thing about this one is that the whole thing is aluminium. It dates from 1948 so maybe made from old spitfires

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: wadkin CO restoration

Postby Andyp » 06 Sep 2016, 18:45

I am stumped, you will have to explain what a CO is? One of your pics not on the thread appears to show a circular blade so it is some kind of fancy radial arm/chop saw?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby kirkpoore1 » 06 Sep 2016, 19:22

I was wondering too. From the adjustable side guards and what looks like a drain in the table mount, maybe a metal cutting chop saw?

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby wallace » 06 Sep 2016, 19:31

Its a foot operated chop saw, they called them nippers. They only do 90 degree cuts but the catalogue says that you can do 30 cuts per minute :shock: And probably a high chance of loosing fingers if you got the timing wrong
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 06 Sep 2016, 19:46

If its aluminium isn't it's corrosion hard to repair?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wallace » 06 Sep 2016, 20:00

With ali you get a white deposit, big damage with ali comes when it comes into contact with a dissimilar metal like steal then the ali can turn to powder
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Commander » 07 Sep 2016, 05:51

Yay, another one! The worse they look before you start the bigger the difference when your done! Looking forward to this one Wallace! :D
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Robert » 07 Sep 2016, 10:48

You've been busy in the couple of weeks I've been away!

Catching up with your progress was one of the first things I did once back in internet land.

:)

I read the thread title as Cut Off for CO btw..
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby wallace » 07 Sep 2016, 20:42

I find the taking to bits really fun for some reason. I used to always get wrong for taking my toys to bits as a kid :D

On trying to take the spindle to bits I had some problems getting the blade clamp off. It would normally just come off with a puller, but it was having none of it. And then I bent the disc. You normally get a feel for how much pressure to put on something and I didn't think I'd gone too heavy handed.
I took the spindle out and it became clear why I bent it. It had been repaired by brazing. To get the spindle out I put the nut back on to protect the threads, cover with wood and hit with a big boy hammer oh and heat it up.

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 07 Sep 2016, 22:51

When doing restorations, a word I never like to hear is "bent", unless it's talking about sheet metal. In this case, though, you should be able to get it flat enough to work.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby stephen.wood125 » 08 Sep 2016, 11:57

Interesting stuff!

I wonder how much of a brown trouser moment that failure of the blade clamp gave the original operator? :lol:

Stephen
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Postby kirkpoore1 » 08 Sep 2016, 13:18

stephen.wood125 wrote:Interesting stuff!

I wonder how much of a brown trouser moment that failure of the blade clamp gave the original operator? :lol:

Stephen

I would figure it broke when somebody tried to take it off before. (BTW, another name for this part is "arbor flange".)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 08 Sep 2016, 15:43

kirkpoore1 wrote:
stephen.wood125 wrote:Interesting stuff!

Stephen

I would figure it broke when somebody tried to take it off before. (BTW, another name for this part is "arbor flange".)

Kirk

Pedantically that would be arbour in uk. Two nations separated by a common language! :lol:
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby wallace » 08 Sep 2016, 16:16

I think it was definitely done when trying to get the 'flange' off. Its got 4 holes which align with alan bolts to keep the spindle in. I didn't notice this at first :oops: I had to put it between the gap at the very end of my lathe with some wood to protect things. I had to use a proper big boy's hammer as well which is unusual for wadkin kit.
My next project arrived today, I bought it nearly 2 years ago and its been in a barn in wales. I could really do with a fork truck.

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 08 Sep 2016, 17:57

Hey a Wadkin LQ overhead boring machine!

Ok so your picture led to the LQ caption and google did the rest :)
Google took me here where there is a basic manual PDF
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby stephen.wood125 » 09 Sep 2016, 00:59

@Kirk, Likely same here (with Bob's adjustment to our spelling) In fact I grew up watching a lot of N*rm *br*m enthralled. So it would be Ahhhbr (obviously whilst wearing safety glerrses)

I was using the terminology Wallace used, but as you say it looks (hopefully for their sake) like perhaps it was tried with a 2 leg puller and it snapped then.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Sep 2016, 11:21

stephen.wood125 wrote:@Kirk, Likely same here (with Bob's adjustment to our spelling) In fact I grew up watching a lot of N*rm *br*m enthralled. So it would be Ahhhbr (obviously whilst wearing safety glerrses)

I was using the terminology Wallace used, but as you say it looks (hopefully for their sake) like perhaps it was tried with a 2 leg puller and it snapped then.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Why edit out Norm's name? Norm is a hero regardless of whether you agree with his techniques or not, I grew up watching him on Sunday morning with a hangover, bacon & egg butty and mug of tea :D

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby stephen.wood125 » 09 Sep 2016, 14:30

TrimTheKing wrote:

Why edit out Norm's name? Norm is a hero regardless of whether you agree with his techniques or not, I grew up watching him on Sunday morning with a hangover, bacon & egg butty and mug of tea :D

Cheers
Mark

Haha fair point, Mark! I feel the same way, just always cautious that so many people call him for everything... for my next trick, how does everyone sharpen their stacked dado cutters?

*runs off*
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Postby Rod » 09 Sep 2016, 17:16

I've made a few of Norm's things - Garden Lounger, Router Table/Cabinet and Saw Table.
If you ignored his lack of safety and frequent use of brads most of his work was pretty good.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wallace » 09 Sep 2016, 17:27

Heres a close relative of the saw I'm doing a CL

For the Australian contingent, this was stuck into the same catalogue

Because this is cast aluminium I'm taking extra precautions when dismantling. Things are getting a good soak in plus gas and like this bit a little heat.

I thought the bearings in the pivot a little overkill. The pivot on the mitre saw I did was just a bushing.

I was taking a pic of a box of parts and noticed the end cap for the pivot broken.

Looks like its been cracked for a while.

Everything is stripped ready to de gunge

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 14 Sep 2016, 19:08

A tad more progress. On checking the parts out I noticed there is a base coat of green paint. I wonder if its war paint or some kind of etch primer.

I have been debating how to do the blade door. Do I do the wadkin in red like normal or leave it aluminium.

In the end I went all Boyd Coddington :D

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 14 Sep 2016, 19:55

Looks awesome. How do you get everything so nice and shiny? What is your secret especially on the big parts?? I'd love to get some bits and bats looking like that
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby wallace » 14 Sep 2016, 21:03

Simples, I used a belt sander with a 60 grit then one of them sanding spinny things you put in a drill then the ROS going down to 240 grit then a big buffing wheel on the lathe with compound. Time taken about 6hrs
I wouldn't normally use a belt sander but the belt guard had lots of casting marks to flatten, I didn't use it on the door.
I quite like a flapper disc in a grinder which makes short work of pretty much anything. The thing to remember is its a bit like when you've finished turning a bowl and your getting ready for the finish. If you try and rush things and miss a grit you will see it in the end piece.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 15 Sep 2016, 16:24

Todays efforts.

This piece is getting sprayed so I just cleaned up the casting with a flapper disc.

I just wire wheeled the foot pedal

The motor is pretty rough

One end bell is cast iron and the other ali

The fan is made from aluminium and is in bad way, I wonder if it will weld

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 16 Sep 2016, 06:07

I suggest trying to find a replacement fan. You can probably get a plastic one with the right bore and similar diameter.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Next

Return to Projects & WIP