It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:28

Garden furniture

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Garden furniture

Postby 9fingers » 02 Aug 2014, 18:21

This one dates from about 3 years back.....

I started this in April

No WIP I'm afraid (camera flatteries were bat) but here the result

Castings bought on flea bay last year for next to nothing from various owners who had let the wood rot.

Loose rust removed with an angle grinder and wire wheel and a couple of coats of ALDI clone of hammerite smooth (£3.99 per litre!) -wonderful stuff. The timber is Iroko from the Corby school science tables - the smell of spearmint gum still noticeable!
and give a coat of wood stain - LIDL walnut.
Bolted together with M6 BZP bolts nuts & spring washers.

Can you spot what is missing from the next photo??

These table castings are destined to support a 6 foot table top and the Corby iroko was 1200mm so I have some new Iroko on order which should come in a week or so to complete the project in a similar style to the seating.

Well at least I have more seating ready for tomorrow when the great unwashed (Wife's extended family :lol: ) are descending on us.
I'm planning on the expectation that if I don't provide a table, they will eat less :lol:
I've been told I can't stay in the workshop out of the way either :cry:

insert 3-4 month gap....

Finally I have got back to working on the table to match the seats above.

9 slats 90mm wide M&T into the ends and glue with PU glue.

Resulting table top ready for stain/preservative 1800 x 800 mm

and fitted to the cast iron legs

I might give it another coat so still got some of the masking in place. The stain is a gel but sprays very well with about 30% water-70% Gel - still seems quite thick but the HVLP gun seems to like it.

You might also spot a new garden path - I knew I had been doing something in the meantime.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Garden furniture

Postby Andyp » 02 Aug 2014, 19:11

Loverly.

I had to use a couple of BZP bolts on my garden table. When I took them out to re finish the top the part of the bolt that passed through the timber (chestnut) was totally rusted. Will iroko cause you the same problem?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Garden furniture

Postby 9fingers » 02 Aug 2014, 19:27

Not sure to be honest. Modern BZP nuts and bolts seem to have the absolute minimum of plating on them so it does not take much to find a pinhole and the rust starts. Iroko is sometime described as an 'oily' wood benefiting from a wipe over with acetone before gluing although I've never bothered.
The oiliness is credited with giving it the good rot resistance and the name of poor mans teak.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to Projects & WIP