It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:08

"Universal box joint jig"

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: "Universal box joint jig"

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jul 2017, 09:28

Malc2098 wrote:6mm - Cotton reels or those spool thingies that go inside sewing machines?

Spot on Malcolm! Yes it is a cotton reel tidy to store reels that come in a wide range of sizes from 3/4" to 1-1/2" in 1/4" steps it seems.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Jul 2017, 10:02

9fingers wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:6mm - Cotton reels or those spool thingies that go inside sewing machines?

Spot on Malcolm! Yes it is a cotton reel tidy to store reels that come in a wide range of sizes from 3/4" to 1-1/2" in 1/4" steps it seems.

Bob

Feeling quite smug today! Thanks.

My mum was a seamstress before the war and in our dining room in the 50s and 60s was where she did all her sewing, making both my sisters wedding dresses and all the bridesmaids' dresses, and my sisters have carried on her traditions of sewing craft with a cottage industry of handmade bespoke quilts. Back at school, I made something with 1/4" dowelled thingies to hold the cotton reels.

They were good reels in those days; all made of wood and all the same standard size. You could make a 'tank' out of one with some panel pins, a rubber band, and a lolly stick, and then cut out some tread on the edges of the reel! Anyone remember them?

And what about french knitting?! Four panel pins in the end of a reel and somehow hooking the wool round them so it came out as a tail through the reel hole. Blimey, that came out the back of beyond of my memory!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 06 Jul 2017, 10:13

Cotton reels, spools, bobbins - all the same thing

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 06 Jul 2017, 10:34

9fingers wrote:

Bob

yep exactly what Valerie said ;)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 06 Jul 2017, 10:38

Malc2098 wrote:And what about french knitting?! Four panel pins in the end of a reel and somehow hooking the wool round them so it came out as a tail through the reel hole. Blimey, that came out the back of beyond of my memory!

remember doing that too. These days done with small coloured rubber bands. More plastic, more waste and not as much fun.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Tusses » 06 Jul 2017, 11:15

Andyp wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:And what about french knitting?! Four panel pins in the end of a reel and somehow hooking the wool round them so it came out as a tail through the reel hole. Blimey, that came out the back of beyond of my memory!

remember doing that too. These days done with small coloured rubber bands. More plastic, more waste and not as much fun.

yep .. my grandad used to make a hole in a bit of wood with a hot poker, then knock some carpet tacks in .. everyone used to have a box of carpet tacks about ! lol
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 04 Feb 2018, 08:16

The wife is busy making curtains for the new house (we moved in nearly 3 years ago), and I saw the cotton bobbin storage stand on the table.
(certainly not as elegant as Bob’s)

It has hinges on the top and a leg at the back for stability when folded open. When not in use it folds relatively flat . The bobbins cant fall out and stands in one of the cupboards when not in use.

Very easy construction. She bought it at one of the needle work shops.

Open and ready to use – front

Cotton_Reel_Stand_Open.jpg
Cotton reel stand open
(40.39 KiB)

Open and ready to use back

Cotton_Reel_Stand_BackLeg.jpg
Cotton reel stand back with support leg
(37.62 KiB)

Folded for storage

Cotton_Reel_Stand_Folded.jpg
Cotton reel stand folded for storage
(21.46 KiB)

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby 9fingers » 04 Feb 2018, 09:40

Looks a nice design. I like the way the bobbins are held in place when its closed.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Feb 2018, 11:17

Yes, I like it too.
Malcolm