It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:08

Underground conduit question (Mike G ;))

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Oct 2016, 10:56

Hi all (Mike G in particular)

Mike - in a thread a while ago you mentioned to someone about underground cable conduit, not to use soil pipe because of the expense and there are dedicated off the shelf products for this.

Hopefully my builder starts laying my foundation layers this weekend and I want to make sure I have all the necessary conduits in place before he does.

I know I need the water/soil pipe, MDPE for water, then I need probably 2 conduits, one each for data/alarm cabling and one for electrics. Any others I might need or you can suggest?

Can you point me in the direction of the right product? I've googled for underground conduit but there are hundreds of types and differing views on suitability for running Cat5/6 in due to water tightness etc.

Thanks
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Underground conduit question (Mike G ;))

Postby Mike G » 04 Oct 2016, 13:25

I use the crinkly plastic type about 40mm or 50mm in diameter, with a draw line. I couldn't link to it, because I picked mine up for a song in a barn sale at a local farm.

One of the reasons not to use soil pipes is that they look like soil pipes, and someone might be searching for a cable in the ground and not recognise the pipe as a conduit........or, conversely, someone in future might assume it was a soil pipe and try to connect a new drainage branch to it. Try to surround the conduit with a pale coloured sand, so that people digging in the area are alerted by the sand colour.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 04 Oct 2016, 15:05

I'd be surprised it water tightness was a consideration as I doubt you'd keep it out anyway.

I have cat5 running to my garden shed so there is internet when we use the patio next to it. it's just buried in the ground under the house patio and the lawn with no protection as it wasn't that important...and its fine.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Oct 2016, 15:16

Thanks Mike. I've found some corrugated external/smooth internal 50mm * 50m for £60 so will go for that I think.

Thanks Robert

I'm just paranoid and have a few cables to run so a 50m length of conduit should do me 2 and maybe 3 runs between the house and shop so for that price I'm going to do it.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby chataigner » 04 Oct 2016, 15:49

If people digging it up in the future is an issue for you, here in France (UK too perhaps?) there is a type of plastic net that you place in the part filled trench and which is designed to alert digger drivers before they get deep enough to do real harm. It comes in different colours to indicate the type of pipe or cable.

Example here : http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/search/search.do?intuitiontodo=newSearchAllSite&facet=PRODUCT&keyword=grillage+avertisseur
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Oct 2016, 16:01

It's not that mate, more about keeping it as dry as possible and giving me some way to get cables between the two buildings in the future should my needs change.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 04 Oct 2016, 18:42

You'll never in a month of Sundays get another cable through a conduit that is already buried and with the draw wire gone.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Oct 2016, 19:15

Mike G wrote:You'll never in a month of Sundays get another cable through a conduit that is already buried and with the draw wire gone.

You will if, as I always do, pull another draw wire through with your last cable...

Or at least give myself a chance to...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby MJ80 » 04 Oct 2016, 19:29

There is also duct grade cat 6 cable. The conduit will get wet inside from temperature differences over time. I am going through the same getting power and data to the barn, I just have normal cat 6 so am pulling 2 cables through and then pulling the wire through again in case anything breaks in the future. I can't be bothered buying an extra reel of cat 6 for a single job. Im going to try and cap the conduit at both ends to stop vermin getting in as well.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby DaveL » 04 Oct 2016, 20:56

I have heard of people blowing a draw string in using a bit of plastic bag as a parashoot, never tried it but it might work!
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Oct 2016, 21:05

DaveL wrote:I have heard of people blowing a draw string in using a bit of plastic bag as a parashoot, never tried it but it might work!

I worked for a small civil company for a short while laying ducting and this was what they guys did.

The trick was to tie a T*scos bag to the end of the draw line and use the compressor hose to send it through.

But the ducting was all 100 or 110mm smooth plastic. I could tell you all the colours, but Ive forgotten what they're for; perhaps grey - BT, Orange - Orange, Green - cable data; purple - motorway data --------someone else take over, please!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 04 Oct 2016, 23:09

Gas - yellow, Electricity - red, Water - blue, Street Lighting- orange.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP