It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:20

Workshop cupboards

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Workshop cupboards

Postby 9fingers » 02 Aug 2014, 19:34

Another one from the archives. Takes me back to the days of a near empty workshop 6-1/2 years ago.

I've spent just about as much time as SWMBO will tolerate in the workshop since Christmas.
This is quite a long term project to equip the workshop with benches, cupboards, drawers etc and having to use the workshop itself to build everything. I have done worktops on frames ready for cupboards and drawers later on and decided before Christmas that the next important thing would be wall cupboards which would allow me to have somewhere to put tools other than on the worktops or the floor.

I've just completed 8 wall cupboard carcases and hung them on french cleats. Carcases are made from more of my 12mm resin coated birch ply with the edges lipped in oak and the shelves stiffened by being let in to dadoes at the back and 40mm deep oak edging at the front edge.

Eventually they will have doors at the top two levels and an open section at the bottom of the 3 shelf units. The 2 shelf versions are to give more clearance over the mitre chop saw and the RAS

I made lots of use of the Dado head in the tablesaw and cut rebates and tongues for the lipping using the sacrificial fence made a few weeks back. I know Dado heads are not to everyones taste but a real timesaver with batch work like this.
I've also taken the time to acurately measure the chippers and shims in the dado set and made another spreadsheet showing all the combinations available in steps of 0.08mm. Again a real timesaver - virtually always right first time now.

The cupboards are in two heights and five widths. All the cutting dimensions were calculated on a spreadsheet and the panel cutting optimisation done with SmartCut.

I've got a metal working job to do for someone else tomorrow then it is back to the dayjob. In any spare time I'll be thinking about the doors and buying some more oak to condition ready for the door production line.

Part 2

At last the wall cupboards are finished. last weekend was glue up time for the doors and an hour or so each evening got them varnished and ready to hang.
Now they are finished and ready to organise my stuff.

The knobs are cheapy pine ones and have come out a bit dark. I initially used light oak stain which was hardly visible so I tried medium oak - good job I did not use dark oak.

Now I've got to decide on the next job.

Drawers and Cupboards under the bench
Router table ( wood pecker lift at dollar prices on it's way via a friend from the US)
Stand and outfeed table for the bench top thicknesser
Or perhaps I had better put in proper power wiring - everything is on extension leads at the moment.
Install the intercom to the house so I can order coffee and sandwiches from time to time!

The list goes on........

2014 Update:

The items on the above list are nearly complete - no point in rushing :lol:
I've still the do the under-bench cupboards and more drawers. I have one 600 wide x 700 deep with dividers for organising boxes of woodscrews.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Workshop cupboards

Postby chataigner » 02 Aug 2014, 19:56

Oh my Bob, you put me to shame. My workshop cupboards are raw chipboard and hastily made mdf doors with rough and ready lipping. Nothing as smart as these pics. My reasoning was that I'd rather spend the time on projects in the workshop, but even so, while what I've lashed together is functional, it is not very well made.

These look really great.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby 9fingers » 02 Aug 2014, 20:32

Thanks David,

Perhaps they were a bot OTT but I did not have any time pressure to get the workshop functional. The workshop was the project at the time and dates back to when I was working for a living and needed to do some practical work at home to deal with the stresses at work.

I would possibly have used mdf sheet if it were not for the large stock of the phenolic coated birch that I had left from another job.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 04 Aug 2014, 08:28

Have to agree with David, my workshop cupboards are a right old mash up of recycled and reused cabinets and more recently and old dartboard cabinet.
Yours do look posh, not sure about the black interiors though
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 04 Aug 2014, 09:11

The interiors are not so visible now with being full of stuff and fine pale dust from the workshop.
I had the material free so it got used. Still lots left over. It is really good for jigs as the 12mm birch ply is very stable and the phenolic coating is nice and slidy.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 10 Aug 2014, 20:18

9fingers wrote:I made lots of use of the Dado head in the tablesaw and cut rebates and tongues for the lipping using the sacrificial fence made a few weeks back. I know Dado heads are not to everyones taste but a real timesaver with batch work like this.

Forgive me if, as a complete newcomer, I am asking a stupid question. I am in the process of planning a new workshop, both build and equiping it. I had understood it was not possible to use dado Head cutters in the UK, am I mistaken? If it is possible I would want to make sure that any table saw I buy has the capacity to use a dado head cutter.

Apologies in advance, this is likely to be the first in a long list of dumb questions as I try to get to grips with what I need for my workshop.

Wizard9999.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 10 Aug 2014, 20:44

Hi Wizard,

There is no problem using dado heads in UK (or EU) in a hobby shop environment provided you take care.
Professionally, the regulations get in the way and it is nigh on impossible to stay within the rules.

However very few new saws will take a dado head. the only new one I know is the xcaliber range from Woodford and they sell a CE marked saw and you can buy a separate adaptor to take a dado head.
You could also consider an old cast iron lump of a saw with a suitable spindle for a dado.

One warning I will make is not to attempt to fit a dado to a flimsy "toy" table saw. You need a very rigid set up with plenty of power, a solid fence and suitable guards and feather boards to keep everything held down with no flesh anywhere near. Push stick for small section work are essential.

Don't be afraid of asking questions - we like questions!!

Cheers

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 10 Aug 2014, 21:05

Hi Wizard,

I see that you are not too far away from me so if you fancy a trip down the M3 one day, I'd be happy to show you my set up and demonstrate safe use of the dado head on the xcalibur saw.

Cheers

Bob

No I don't work for xcalibur or dado head makers - honest! :lol:
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Wizard9999 » 11 Aug 2014, 12:14

9fingers wrote:I see that you are not too far away from me so if you fancy a trip down the M3 one day, I'd be happy to show you my set up and demonstrate safe use of the dado head on the xcalibur saw.

Bob

What an amazingly kind offer! I would very much like to take you up on it before I put my hand in my pocket to start shelling out for 'kit'. Is there a way I can contact you 'off board' to arrange a date that would be convenient for you?

I am also thinking that I may start a new thread to ask for input into design, shopping list, priorities, etc. for my workshop. I can already see there is a wealth of experience on woodhaven2!

Again, thansk for the very kind offer,

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Andyp » 11 Aug 2014, 13:06

Terry, after 3 posts you will be able to send any forum member a private message. The PM button appears on the left of any thread unders the users details. The 3 posts rule is an anti spam trap.
Maybe you could make your 3rd post by introducing yourself in our Welcome board and tell us what sort of woodwork you plan on doing or have done in the past.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 11 Aug 2014, 13:22

Terry, I've added my email address to the footer of my messages.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby kirkpoore1 » 14 Aug 2014, 01:58

Not to ignore your cabinets, Bob, which are indeed nice, but I have to ask: What are you using for dust collector pipe brackets? Are those an off the shelf thing, or did you make them up?

Kirk
who has a friend who ran his finger tip into his TS blade last week--but I'm not calling him 9-3/4 finger. (At least not to his face.)
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby 9fingers » 14 Aug 2014, 08:34

Hi Kirk
Those clips are standard part for supporting soil (foul drain) pipe in UK.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing ... 849/p65250
Our common size is 110mm but there is also 160mm
I'm sure that there will be something similar in US.

Hth
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to Projects & WIP