It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:02

Grinding Concrete Floor Flat

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Grinding Concrete Floor Flat

Postby the bear » 10 Oct 2016, 14:58

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I will stand some woodwork machines on it when its done!

I want to flatten my garage floor. Its too rough for moving small casters and wheels on. Its also got a few places where there are raised bits, and a large section has had what looks like self levelling compound poured on (which is also not level). I don't mind a slope, but I want it to be flatter, and I understand SLC doesn't take paint. There also seems to be in a few places something black embedded in the SLC like old roof underfelt, very weird.

This will be a temporary workshop space so I don't want to buy materials to board it out and insulate, but I've seen the rough prices of floor grinders and epoxy paint and the investment in these will still be relevant when it becomes a garage again in my mind, so thats the way I'd like to go.

So my question is, has anyone any experience of hiring and using a floor grinder, types of heads to use, technique, anything really.

A few years ago I saw some guys do our hanger floor at work and I believe what I want to do is achievable but in need of some guidance if anyone can help before I visit the hire shop please.

Cheers

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Re: Grinding Concrete Floor Flat

Postby Robert » 10 Oct 2016, 15:33

I don't know anything about floor grinding but my single garage workshop floor was very uneven. I screeded it one half at a time and eventually covered it with plastic followed by moisture resistant chipboard floor panels. it is now nice and flat. Uneven was a PITA with machines on wheels.

Previous to a rear extension being built it was usable (but never was used) as a garage. It had chipboard flooring over the uneven concrete then. I shaped a timber edging strip to trim the floor behind the up and over door and it had been down many years before the partial rebuild and was still solid when removed.

Think the panels were about £7.50 ea and they are 8ft x 2ft. don't know how that compares to grinder hire and paint etc.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: Grinding Concrete Floor Flat

Postby the bear » 10 Oct 2016, 15:52

Thanks Robert
I don't want to go down the boarding insulation route. My reasons are this is temporary as a workshop but will be permanent as a garage long term. Even as a garage I'd like it smoothed and epoxy painted to satisfy my OCD. Doing this will also satisfy me as a temporary workshop.
Therefore doing what I will eventually do for it as a garage anyway will save me paying for boards now and grinding later.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP