It is currently 19 Jan 2017, 03:23

Hully's Workshop Build - Framing almost complete

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Hully's Workshop Build - Framing almost complete

Postby Hully » 14 Oct 2016, 16:35

Hi All

I'm about to embark on my workshop build so thought I'd post it up and contribute to whats been a massively informative and inspiring forum for me - particularly Mike and Jimmy's build threads so thanks to both of you.

I'm building the workshop at the end of our garden under permitted development with a certificate of lawful development issued by my local council.

The garden is 9.3m wide, so to stay within permitted development the workshop is going to be 5m wide (around 4.8m internally) and 5.3m long (5.1m internally). I have a builder lined up to do the slab next week as I have zero experience in that area but I'll then be doing pretty much everything else myself.

Its going to be built in a similar way to the other workshop WIPs on the forum - basically an insulated timber frame sitting on a concrete slab/brickwork with larch featheredge cladding, a tile hung vented "cold" roof and double glazed french doors and window.

At the moment I'm planning on building it as follows:

Image

If it all goes according to plan it should hopefully look something like this:

Image

There are a few "unknowns" in my head regarding the construction, mostly around finishing off the roof with sofits etc, so I'll be asking for advice along the way :D

All feedback welcome.

Cheers
Hully
Last edited by Hully on 10 Jan 2017, 11:18, edited 3 times in total.
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Oct 2016, 17:01

Hi Hully.

Good luck with this. Yep, it's a good forum. I wouldn't have got half so far in planning mine without all the experience and knowledge shown on here.

I can't offer much because I'm at about the same stage as you.

ATB

Malcolm
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 766
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby kirkpoore1 » 14 Oct 2016, 17:40

That's pretty thick for a whole slab, isn't it? I can see deeper footings, of course, but 8" thick concrete for a slab seems like overkill.

Kirk
Not a structural engineer...
User avatar
kirkpoore1
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 580
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 22:12
Location: O'Fallon, Illinois
Name: Kirk

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Hully » 14 Oct 2016, 18:10

Hi Kirk

I was actually worried it wasn't enough!! :D

My builder checked with a Building Control Officer on another one of his jobs and he suggested a 200 mm reinforced slab...I think because the soil here is mostly clay.

THB, I'd rather go overkill to be sure it wont give me problems down the line.

Cheers
Ed
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby greeno » 14 Oct 2016, 20:18

Your breather membrane detail looks funny. You seem to have two sole plates and you're sandwiching it between the two, bringing it into the inside.

Also, your DPM, you've just put it on top of the slab. I'd expect it in between the hardcore and slab on top of a blinding layer.

What are you using for floor insulation? If it is celotex or similar it can just float. No need for batons.
greeno
Seedling
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 10:46
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby greeno » 14 Oct 2016, 20:20

OSB doesn't make the best floor material (I know from experience). T and G chip or ply.

Any reason why you are overboarding OSB with plasterboard?

If you just want plasterboard finish them swap the OSB for a vapour barrier.
Last edited by greeno on 14 Oct 2016, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
greeno
Seedling
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 10:46
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Mike G » 14 Oct 2016, 20:23

Hi Hully.

This looks like another nice workshop. It cheers me no end to see so many good buildings going up these days.

200mm is a chunky old slab. I'd only do that if there were nearby trees, but, other than to your wallet there is no harm whatever in overdoing things here. I have a little personal thing about the cladding overhanging the brick-line in the way you propose. It doesn't bother everyone, but be warned, that overhang will be 60 plus mm. I built a house like that once, and can barely look at it these days!

With the floating floor and DPM above the slab, you'll need a good floated finish on the concrete. Is your builder aware of this? Powerfloating, if that is what you propose, has to happen when it has to happen, even if it is the middle of the night. Hand floating doesn't produce such a polished finish, but the timing can be a bit more flexible.
User avatar
Mike G
Old Oak
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: 30 Jul 2014, 22:36
Location: Somewhat less of a hovel
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Mike G » 14 Oct 2016, 20:27

greeno wrote:Your breather membrane detail looks funny. You seem to have two sole plates and you're sandwiching it between the two, bringing it into the inside.


I've misled people before now with that detail. I think the dashed line you are looking at is the tie-down strap.

greeno wrote:Also, your DPM, you've just put it on top of the slab. I'd expect it in between the hardcore and slab on top of a blinding layer.


It is possible to put it above the slab, as shown. It just requires a very smooth slab, and very careful building practices, such as keeping everything very clean and free of debris.

greeno wrote:What are you using for floor insulation? If it is celotex or similar it can just float. No need for batons.


Indeed. Nor battens :lol:
User avatar
Mike G
Old Oak
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: 30 Jul 2014, 22:36
Location: Somewhat less of a hovel
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby greeno » 14 Oct 2016, 20:28

Mike, if you really wanted to put the damp proof layer on top of the slap you could just tank it with a couple of coats of black jack couldn't you?
greeno
Seedling
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 19 Jul 2016, 10:46
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Mike G » 14 Oct 2016, 20:33

greeno wrote:Mike, if you really wanted to put the damp proof layer on top of the slap you could just tank it with a couple of coats of black jack couldn't you?


You could, but that stuff is like satan's snot. Horrible to work with.
User avatar
Mike G
Old Oak
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: 30 Jul 2014, 22:36
Location: Somewhat less of a hovel
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby 9fingers » 14 Oct 2016, 21:25

Mike G wrote:You could, but that stuff is like satan's snot. Horrible to work with.


Hmm! I'd not seen it available in green! :lol: :lol:

Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3001
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Hully » 14 Oct 2016, 23:13

Mike G wrote:Hi Hully.

This looks like another nice workshop. It cheers me no end to see so many good buildings going up these days.

200mm is a chunky old slab. I'd only do that if there were nearby trees, but, other than to your wallet there is no harm whatever in overdoing things here. I have a little personal thing about the cladding overhanging the brick-line in the way you propose. It doesn't bother everyone, but be warned, that overhang will be 60 plus mm. I built a house like that once, and can barely look at it these days!

With the floating floor and DPM above the slab, you'll need a good floated finish on the concrete. Is your builder aware of this? Powerfloating, if that is what you propose, has to happen when it has to happen, even if it is the middle of the night. Hand floating doesn't produce such a polished finish, but the timing can be a bit more flexible.


Hi Mike

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Agree with you on the overhang, but increasing the thickness of the brickwork and the walls and bumping out the bottom featherboard seemed like a lot of effort to avoid the overhang. I'm sure hindsight will run up and smack me in the face once its done though :?

I've told the builder I want a smooth and level floor, so had assumed he'd hand float it, which hopefully should suffice for a floating floor on top, which will be Celotex. I had thought of putting the DPM between the hardcore and slab but with the ground level ending high up the slab I thought it would be best to keep it above the ground level and therefore on top of the slab. What do you think?

Cheers
Hully
Last edited by Hully on 14 Oct 2016, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Hully » 14 Oct 2016, 23:19

greeno wrote:OSB doesn't make the best floor material (I know from experience). T and G chip or ply.

Any reason why you are overboarding OSB with plasterboard?

If you just want plasterboard finish them swap the OSB for a vapour barrier.


Hi Greeno

Thanks for the feedback on the floor, I'll look at T & G chip...I've seen it elsewhere on the forum as the floor with a painted finished and it looks good.

I've used OSB on the inside to kill two birds with one stone. It acts as sheathing (as when traditionally used on the outside) but also acts as the moisture barrier if used on the inside so I can avoid using plastic sheeting/caulking etc. It looks like they've starting using this technique quite a bit in the States so figured I'd try it that way.

I could then just paint it rather than overboarding with plasterboard (and may still do that depending on how the budget goes) but I'd rather have a nice finish and having it plastered will help sell it as a "garden office/playroom" if we ever put the house on the market.

Cheers
Hully
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Hully » 14 Oct 2016, 23:22

Mike G wrote:
greeno wrote:Your breather membrane detail looks funny. You seem to have two sole plates and you're sandwiching it between the two, bringing it into the inside.


Mike G wrote:I've misled people before now with that detail. I think the dashed line you are looking at is the tie-down strap.


Correct Mike. Sorry, its not very clear but the dashed line is the tie-down strap.

greeno wrote:Also, your DPM, you've just put it on top of the slab. I'd expect it in between the hardcore and slab on top of a blinding layer.


Mike G wrote:It is possible to put it above the slab, as shown. It just requires a very smooth slab, and very careful building practices, such as keeping everything very clean and free of debris.



I had considered putting the DPM between slab and hardcore but as the groundlevel finished high up the slab I thought it would be better to keep in on top of the slab. Happy to be corrected though if it wont be a problem underneath the slab :D

greeno wrote:What are you using for floor insulation? If it is celotex or similar it can just float. No need for batons.


Mike G wrote:Indeed. Nor battens :lol:


Yep, Celotex.
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Hully » 17 Oct 2016, 17:11

The first days work on the foundation is complete!!

Following the feedback here I talked to my builder and we've agreed to change the foundations to the below. It seems to be a better solution and my builder says its a better overall foundation - I wasn't sure about the wall foundation and the slab being separate but my builder says its absolutely fine and how they would do it for house extensions etc. Feedback welcome if you think there are any issues.

Image

And here's a picture of the progress so far. It should be finished by Saturday and then the fun starts!!

Image

Cheers
Hully
Last edited by Hully on 17 Oct 2016, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby 9fingers » 17 Oct 2016, 17:17

MOD NOTE: Hully, Your post had a broken link in it. I hope I've fixed it correctly, if not apologies - Bob
Image
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3001
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Hully » 17 Oct 2016, 19:08

9fingers wrote:MOD NOTE: Hully, Your post had a broken link in it. I hope I've fixed it correctly, if not apologies - Bob


Thanks Bob.
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Hully » 28 Oct 2016, 10:24

Quick update:

Foundations are now complete and overall pretty happy with them. My one slight annoyance is that the sole plate has been screwed to the brickwork in a few locations so the DPC has been broken in those locations. Not the end of the world though I suppose and nothing can be done about it now anyway.

Regardless of the screws I'll still use galvanised strapping screwed to the slab to secure the sole plate which will be this weekends job. Timber is on order so walls should be going up from next weekend.

Thanks for looking

Image

Image
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Malc2098 » 28 Oct 2016, 10:51

Looking good! My digger arrives Monday!
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 766
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Mike G » 28 Oct 2016, 19:41

Hully wrote:........ My one slight annoyance is that the sole plate has been screwed to the brickwork in a few locations so the DPC has been broken in those locations. Not the end of the world......


No, it's not the end of the world, but if you can undo the screws a bit and raise the plate by an inch or so, then squeeze a circle of silicon around the screw, then so much the better.
User avatar
Mike G
Old Oak
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: 30 Jul 2014, 22:36
Location: Somewhat less of a hovel
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Andyp » 29 Oct 2016, 07:45

Must be a thrill to be out of the ground like that. Don't envy the build at this time of year. Hope the weather holds
cheers

Andy
User avatar
Andyp
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3368
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Dan0741 » 30 Oct 2016, 01:36

Nice work Hully, looking good. :D
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling
 
Posts: 316
Joined: 09 Aug 2015, 19:38
Location: nn6
Name: Dan

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Hully » 30 Oct 2016, 18:00

Malc2098 wrote:Looking good! My digger arrives Monday!


Bet you can't wait Malcolm. Looking forward to seeing your build!!
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Hully » 30 Oct 2016, 18:01

Mike G wrote:
Hully wrote:........ My one slight annoyance is that the sole plate has been screwed to the brickwork in a few locations so the DPC has been broken in those locations. Not the end of the world......


No, it's not the end of the world, but if you can undo the screws a bit and raise the plate by an inch or so, then squeeze a circle of silicon around the screw, then so much the better.


Thanks for the tip Mike. I'll definitely try to get some silicone in there.
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Re: Hully's Workshop Build

Postby Hully » 30 Oct 2016, 18:04

Andyp wrote:Must be a thrill to be out of the ground like that. Don't envy the build at this time of year. Hope the weather holds


I've not really done anything woodwork related for nearly 6 months (since we moved) so can't wait...though I'd certainly prefer it to be sunny and 25 outside 8-) :D
Hully
Seedling
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 16 Jun 2016, 08:30
Name:

Next

Return to Projects & WIP

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron