It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:34

Thien separator build (picture heavy)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Thien separator build (picture heavy)

Postby Doug » 06 Nov 2016, 17:00

Can't remember if this was on the original Woodhaven but I just came across my Thien separator build so thought I'd share it

Thien separator build:-

Working on the principle that I wanted an air tight container to minimise loss of suction I managed to get hold of an airfreight drum made for transporting batteries.

I liked this drum as not only was it robust with a locking ring to hold the top secure but it also had a built in rubber gasket in the rim of the lid.

The first thing I did was to find the center of the lid for the connection to the extractor, this I did with dividers

With the center marked I drilled a 50mm hole, I also drilled a hole near the rim for the dust hose elbow, the fittings I'm using are 50mm mini gutter down pipe fittings.

With that done I turned my attention to the baffle, this is made from 14mm plywood, I started by cutting half way through the ply to outline a 14 inch disc the internal diameter of the drum.

I then measured round the circumference divided the measurement by 3 & marked this measurement on the edge of the circle, the router was then moved in 1 1/8 inch towards the center & an arc cut all the way through the ply 2/3rds around the circumference.

The router was then moved back to its original position & the outer circumference cut all the way through. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of the finished shape but this is the baffle when bolted in, showing the finished shape

The baffle was then placed in the drum held up with packing, the lid was placed on top & the holes for the bolts drilled.

The holes were filed roughly square & the underside cleaned up with the grinder.

After which PTFE was wrapped around the bolt heads, these were secured to the lid with nuts,packers & locking washers & the baffle fitted temporarily.
Finally for today the 2 fittings were epoxied in position.

Last edited by Doug on 06 Nov 2016, 17:12, edited 2 times in total.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Thien separator build

Postby Doug » 06 Nov 2016, 17:02

I removed the baffle, sanded it, applyed a coat of cellulose sanding sealer & then a coat of wax polish that was buffed with the ROS.

The baffle was refitted & offered up to the drum.

Next I disconnected my Cam vac from my Dust Deputy, I`d not emptied the Camvac for about 5 months & even though the Dust Deputy was full & had been emptied many times within those 5 months this was all that was in side the vac.

The old hoses were fitted up to the the Thien & it was hooked up to the vac.

After a little vacuuming it appears that the separator works with a star shaped pattern of dust in the bottom of the separator drum.

A check on the vacuum drum revealed that some debris had gone through possibly more than I`d have expected with my Dust Deputy cyclone.

But still not bad & I`ve time to tinker with the set up.
Whilst I was at it I took the opportunity to modify the Camvac inlet as I noticed that Camvac have altered their design, so I added an elbow & short piece of pipe in the vac drum so any dust entering would be forced against the sides.

With that all done I`ve now reconnected the Dust Deputy to an old Henry vac, this fits nicely under the mitre saw bench with my compressor which are boxed in with removable panels to dull the sound.

The Camvac & Thien separator sit behind my the lathe giving hplv extraction when sanding.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Thien separator build (picture heavy)

Postby Commander » 23 Nov 2016, 06:26

Looks like a good build Doug, at some point I will also have to look at the whole "dust and shavings" problem, so I'm taking notes as I go along. :D
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Re: Thien separator build (picture heavy)

Postby RogerM » 23 Nov 2016, 13:42

Interesting thread Doug. Where do you get hold of an airfreight drum?
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Return to Projects & WIP