It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:08

Bedroom Cupboards

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Bedroom Cupboards

Postby meccarroll » 22 Nov 2016, 20:09

Robert wrote:I was thinking that cupboard door would knock stuff off the bedside cabinet but that last picture makes it clear you could have an alarm clock near the bed and a book both missed by the door. Nice solution. Like the paint too.

Hi Robert, the swing of the door allows for more than is at first appreciated regarding the placing of high objects. You are quite right in noticing that this arrangement does add some limitations to what can be placed on the draw tops.

Thank you for commenting.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 22 Nov 2016, 20:27

Tusses wrote:
Robert wrote:I was thinking that cupboard door would knock stuff off the bedside cabinet but that last picture makes it clear you could have an alarm clock near the bed and a book both missed by the door. Nice solution. Like the paint too.

I was thinking similar, maybe a bit more clearance would have been useful ?

Nice job though :-)

I agree your observation is valid Tusses. The detail is a compromise between space, access and what is required. To make the clearance to high would make access to the blind corner is too restricted but if clearance is too low then the draw top is unusable.

In this case I allowed 50mm clearance above the draw (it worked fine for what was required) but in future I will make that 100mm in view of the comments. Good point chap.

Regards Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Commander » 23 Nov 2016, 06:18

Good job Mark! The photo with the bed in the room makes everything clear, and I like a good MDF build, not everyone's favorite material, but I find it very useful and easy to work with, it also finishes great with the right technique. Excellent all round! :eusa-clap:
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Nov 2016, 11:40

Nice solution to a space challenge, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Nov 2016, 17:52

Tasty!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby meccarroll » 23 Nov 2016, 18:18

Commander wrote:Good job Mark! The photo with the bed in the room makes everything clear, and I like a good MDF build, not everyone's favorite material, but I find it very useful and easy to work with, it also finishes great with the right technique. Excellent all round! :eusa-clap:

I have used MRMDF before in solid and inscribed form for for making doors/cabinets and had good results but this has been a first using it to frame doors with separate MDF panels. I did notice the doors seemed to flex a bit when I glued them together but the chaps on here assured me they would be fine once hinged and they were of course right :D .

Thank you for your comment.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 23 Nov 2016, 18:21

TrimTheKing wrote:Nice solution to a space challenge, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers Mark,

Mark :lol:
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 23 Nov 2016, 18:22

Malc2098 wrote:Tasty!

Thank You Malc.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Nov 2016, 18:25

I like the colour of the wardrobe. Very smart. Now, we need to have a little chat about the wall colour........ ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 23 Nov 2016, 20:44

Very nice indeed Mark - beautifully made and finished. You could get a job with Sharps no probs, but I wouldn't recommend it. :x

My only question; Did you not scribe around the cove because you used a cornice for the pelmet, or did I miss some of your text - which I do a lot these days? :eusa-doh:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby meccarroll » 24 Nov 2016, 06:31

Mike G wrote:I like the colour of the wardrobe. Very smart. Now, we need to have a little chat about the wall colour........ ;)

LOL :lol:
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 24 Nov 2016, 07:20

Pinch wrote:Very nice indeed Mark - beautifully made and finished. You could get a job with Sharps no probs, but I wouldn't recommend it. :x

My only question; Did you not scribe around the cove because you used a cornice for the pelmet, or did I miss some of your text - which I do a lot these days? :eusa-doh:

I have looked at 'Sharps' and to me they seem to cater for the big market. Imagine fitting the same cupboards in to hundreds of properties year on year :eusa-think: :eusa-snooty:

Originally the cupboards were designed to have a flush pelmet finish about 10mm below the line of the plaster cove. Had we kept to this design the pelmet would most probably have been scribed over the coving (would have looked ok). The decision to add a cornice was an afterthought and to scribe this over the coving would have looked a bit of a miss match (IMHO) so in this case the coving was altered.

Some cabinet makers, make their cupboards as units and fit the unit in as a fully lined unit (Back, sides, top and bottom, similar to your current alcove units) but with the top of the unit finishing below the cove line. I think this type of fitted cupboard looks very nice, speeds up fitting time and does away with the cove scenario but the trade off is you don't end up with as much cupboard storage.

Thank you for your comment and question Mr pinch.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Nov 2016, 07:25

Great job and use of space. I think the door over the cabinet would drive me nuts. Looks like a double bed has been squeezed into a single room.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby meccarroll » 24 Nov 2016, 07:40

Andyp wrote: Looks like a double bed has been squeezed into a single room.

That's modern houses for you Andy :lol:
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 24 Nov 2016, 20:04

meccarroll wrote:
Pinch wrote:Very nice indeed Mark - beautifully made and finished. You could get a job with Sharps no probs, but I wouldn't recommend it. :x

I have looked at 'Sharps' and to me they seem to cater for the big market. Imagine fitting the same cupboards in to hundreds of properties year on year :eusa-think: :eusa-snooty:

Originally the cupboards were designed to have a flush pelmet finish about 10mm below the line of the plaster cove. Had we kept to this design the pelmet would most probably have been scribed over the coving (would have looked ok). The decision to add a cornice was an afterthought and to scribe this over the coving would have looked a bit of a miss match (IMHO) so in this case the coving was altered.

Some cabinet makers, make their cupboards as units and fit the unit in as a fully lined unit (Back, sides, top and bottom, similar to your current alcove units) but with the top of the unit finishing below the cove line. I think this type of fitted cupboard looks very nice, speeds up fitting time and does away with the cove scenario but the trade off is you don't end up with as much cupboard storage.

Thank you for your comment and question Mr pinch.

Mark

I've just recapped and read my post again before reading yours, and I must quickly say; forgive my writing "...or did I miss some of your text - which I do a lot these days?". This was meant generally and not specifically at your text. It may not have even crossed your mind, but I just thought I'd mention it in case it did. :oops: :lol:

Yes, Sharps are a 90M turnover firm now owned by an American - not that there's anything wrong with that (I'm digging no more holes! :lol: ). I tried them out earlier this year as a bit of subby work, but never again. The pressure is full-on, lots of driving, long hours and * money. After the assessment course, I vowed I would do 10 jobs for them before I decided whether to continue. I walked off site halfway through the 10th job - end of. I wouldn't have in normal circumstances, but the customers were far up their own backsides as well, so I felt no guilt. Sharps have since contacted me a few times offering me work, but I've turned it down without hesitation.

Sharps fitting is very similar to the way you've fitted your suite and needless to say, this is a highly skilled art within it's own right. One needs to know what one is doing to do the job efficiently and successfully. You've certainly done that chap - plus, you made yours! It looks great and the cove thing is dandy as well.

I would normally only make these projects like I did the 'alcove shelving project' because I prefer to get as much done in the shop as I can before venturing on site.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby oddsocks » 26 Nov 2016, 00:59

Mark, I've just caught up with this project and all I can say is 'Wow'. It just goes to show what you can do with MDF and a good paint finish (I wish I could convince my daughter but she wanted oak so now movement of the doors aftert a few years is showing).

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Postby meccarroll » 26 Nov 2016, 12:18

oddsocks wrote:Mark, I've just caught up with this project and all I can say is 'Wow'. It just goes to show what you can do with MDF and a good paint finish (I wish I could convince my daughter but she wanted oak so now movement of the doors aftert a few years is showing).

Dave

Cheers Dave.

First time I've tried framing doors with MRMDF so all the advice and tips on here have been very helpful. Oak is one of my favourite woods, still very much in fashion for bedroom cupboards but gone slightly out for kitchens. Did you do a thread on your daughters cupboards? I'd like to read it if one is about.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby oddsocks » 26 Nov 2016, 12:45

Did you do a thread on your daughters cupboards? I'd like to read it if one is about.

Mark

Mark , I did but it was some years ago and so was lost when the old forum went offline (thats why I now save a word doc version of my project threads as I also used to refer back to them!)
Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Postby meccarroll » 26 Nov 2016, 15:08

oddsocks wrote:
Did you do a thread on your daughters cupboards? I'd like to read it if one is about.

Mark

Mark , I did but it was some years ago and so was lost when the old forum went offline (thats why I now save a word doc version of my project threads as I also used to refer back to them!)
Dave

Shame :(
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP