It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:44

A Few More Boxes...

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

A Few More Boxes...

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Dec 2016, 00:12

As we're doing simple boxes, here's a few of mine made over the last three years or so. First a little box in some oddments of English Walnut, sent to my daughter as a birthday present a while ago, about 100mm square:

Then another couple of small ones with pivot hinges, the first made from Brazilian Walnut and the second from Mexican Rosewood or Bocote:

The next is a larger dovetailed box in English Walnut with a pivot hinge, made as a surprise gift for my brother's 60th, with the lid pull carved into the front rail:

The final offering is a similar box in highly figured Turkish Walnut made for my daughter's 30th birthday:

...and also showing it opened:

There are no boxes on the go at the moment as I'm continuing with SWIMBO's chest of drawers. Cedar of Lebanon bases have been prepared and passed through the Jet 16-32 drum sander (a 'must have' bit of kit :D ) and are in the process of being fitted into each of the drawers - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: A Few More Boxes...

Postby Phil » 08 Dec 2016, 07:30

Woodbloke wrote:As we're doing simple boxes, Rob

For a master craftsman, simple yes, but us mere mortals ............

Rob, excellent work, nice looking boxes. :eusa-clap:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby meccarroll » 08 Dec 2016, 08:37

What a nice display of boxes and in such a variety of woods too. They all look very nice.
Have you put your chest of draws up in the projects?

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 08 Dec 2016, 09:43

You are unquestionably the 'Box Master' Rob. 8-)

The last box in particular is... as ole Craig would say with great enthusiasm...

"Fab_u_lous darling!"

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Wizard9999 » 08 Dec 2016, 10:38

Right, that's it, after my router mishap I did take a picture of my box as it stands now but no way it's going public after everything you lot have posted! If I suggested I was taking up jogging I suspect there would be a flurry of posts showing your respective Olympic medals for athletics :lol:

So far I have enjoyed my first box and I think I may end up making more so I am looking for ideas. Do you have any more pictures of the one with the pivot hinge? I do think I remember the carved handle, did you post more pictures of this box previously? If so I can search your previous posts to find them.

I note the comment on a drum sander. I have always thought they looked very handy for sanding to final dimension and this has was reinforced when I was sanding the base of my box to get a good fit. I don't really have space for one, but tools and all that. How much use do you get from it Rob?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Dec 2016, 11:20

Nice dovetails!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Dec 2016, 11:55

Wizard9999 wrote:So far I have enjoyed my first box and I think I may end up making more so I am looking for ideas. Do you have any more pictures of the one with the pivot hinge? I do think I remember the carved handle, did you post more pictures of this box previously? If so I can search your previous posts to find them.

I note the comment on a drum sander. I have always thought they looked very handy for sanding to final dimension and this has was reinforced when I was sanding the base of my box to get a good fit. I don't really have space for one, but tools and all that. How much use do you get from it Rob?

Terry.

The intention was NOT to put you off Terry, but just to show what can be achieved...don't forget also that I've doing this woody cr@p now since the early 70's :D .

I can't believe why I didn't get hold of a drum sander years ago. I was partially encouraged by my FB friends Michael Lyndsey Foster and Jeremy Broun, both of whom have posted glowing (unbiased and unaltered) reviews of the Jet 16-32 on our Ax website. It doesn't actually take up a lot of space and if you get hold of the castors (as I did) it can be shunted into a convenient corner. You do however, need a bloody good dx system which will handle fine dust. Just to show how good they are, Jeremy said if it came to the crunch, he'd rather keep his drum sander than SWIMBO! :lol:

Boxes with pivot hinges are dead easy and even better, being a parsimonious soul, they're cheap! I've used drill shanks, brazing rod and bicycle spokes for the hinge rod and the holes are easy to drill provided you've got a pillar drill with enough depth. The handles on the bigger boxes are carved from the front lid rail...not difficult to do, but fiddly and time consuming. Both the bigger boxes have been on WH2 before if memory serves - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 Dec 2016, 12:20

With those pivot hinges Rob are you drilling the sides and the lid at the same time?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 08 Dec 2016, 13:36

Andyp wrote:With those pivot hinges Rob are you drilling the sides and the lid at the same time?

He might use a double ended drill Andy?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Dec 2016, 14:05

Andyp wrote:With those pivot hinges Rob are you drilling the sides and the lid at the same time?

Yep, clamp the lid to the box (with clearance packers if needed) and drill through the side of the box and into the end of the lid. I always make up some extra long pins which stick out so I can use a pair of pliers to extract them for final fitting and polishing etc. It helps also to make the ends of the pins slightly conical to help them locate. The very last thing to do is to cut the final pair of pins to the right length and drive them under the surface...once you've done that, there's no way you can get them out again! Fill the little 'oles remaining with a bit of wax filler and the box is sorted - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Dec 2016, 17:35

Eventually I found it! A photo of my first box made in 2004. I've not made anything since 2005, but will once the 'shop is built.

It's shown on my sisters' quilting and needlework at a craft fair.

'Naive', i think they call the style on Antiques Roadshow!

Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Phil » 09 Dec 2016, 06:44

This 'box' was made from 6mm ply, rebate joints, glue and panel pins.

The lid is on a pivot.
It was painted in antique green to match their kitchen tops, and then sealed with PU.

A bottle of Nescafe coffee fits inside, makes the counter top look neater.

The plan is based on the Shaker salt holder.

I knew it had been posted somewhere in the distant past ................

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=349&p=2914&hilit=coffee#p2914

These are different boxes ..................

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=147&p=861&hilit=coffee#p861

{edit - add link}
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby meccarroll » 09 Dec 2016, 09:15

This box thing has started to take off, maybe we need a box thread :obscene-drinkingcheers: :text-lol:

I like the use of colour Malcolm, quite the in thing at the moment (painted and coloured wood).

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Dec 2016, 11:48

Wizard9999 wrote:Right, that's it, after my router mishap I did take a picture of my box as it stands now but no way it's going public after everything you lot have posted! If I suggested I was taking up jogging I suspect there would be a flurry of posts showing your respective Olympic medals for athletics :lol:

So far I have enjoyed my first box and I think I may end up making more so I am looking for ideas. Do you have any more pictures of the one with the pivot hinge? I do think I remember the carved handle, did you post more pictures of this box previously? If so I can search your previous posts to find them.

Terry.

Terry

I know (think/hope) you're only joking but please do share once it's finished. We all started off knowing nothing, and for me, apart from being generally handy, my last woodworking experience was in school in the late 80's to early 90's until I started again in 2006. Everything I know, can and have done has been gleaned from here and UKW, DVD's, books and youtube and it doesn't take long at all before you start to become a perfectionist. Your box looked great from what I saw and for a first proper effort so please don't be put off.

As Rob says, he's been a woodwork teacher and doing this stuff since before I was born, the old fart :eusa-whistle: , so he's go a head start on most of us.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Dec 2016, 12:57

TrimTheKing wrote:... doing this stuff since before I was born, the old fart :eusa-whistle: , so he's go a head start on most of us.

Cheers
Mark

How very dare you sir, your incinerations could cause severial offence :lol: You may now find that by Christmas Eve, a certain green little ba$tard will have guzzled all your 25yo malt :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Dec 2016, 13:14

Woodbloke wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:... doing this stuff since before I was born, the old fart :eusa-whistle: , so he's go a head start on most of us.

Cheers
Mark

How very dare you sir, your incinerations could cause severial offence :lol: You may now find that by Christmas Eve, a certain green little ba$tard will have guzzled all your 25yo malt :lol: - Rob

:lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Wizard9999 » 13 Dec 2016, 20:25

TrimTheKing wrote:I know (think/hope) you're only joking but please do share once it's finished.

Of course I will share Mark. Joking aside I am 100% certain that all I will get from those on here is encouragement and constructive advice.

Lid was glued up yesterday and today, taking it slow and steady :lol: .

I have machined the parts for the tray insert (or whatever it is called), but I'm a bit worried that there is a bit of movement in the 'panel' I plan to use for the base of the tray. At the moment it is clamped to my outfeed table to try and encourage it to stay flat, I'll see how it looks on Thursday as I am in London with work tomorrow. I have even started to think about another box and maybe doing some veneering as part of that.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Return to Projects & WIP