It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:13

Table and chairs project (table DUN)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Table and chairs project (in glue up !!)

Postby woodstalker » 11 Feb 2017, 21:40

I was just sanding and getting ratty having to wait for it to slow down. Genius mdf solution. :text-bravo:
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Table and chairs project (table top started)

Postby chataigner » 18 Feb 2017, 20:19

Bought some big 1/4 sawn oak boards from my local sawmill for the top of the table and a load of spare for the chairs. 3.5m boards, 45mm thick and around 400mm wide. Works out to 40-50kg per board at estimated density of 0.75 or so. Something of a struggle to load and unload and even more of a struggle to cut them up.

I started by cutting them in half in the length, then tried to trim off the live edge on the bandsaw. My poor bandsaw was totally overwhelmed, it nearly fell over at one point, so I abandoned that and cut them up on blocks on the ground using a big hand held circular saw. Lots of very messy free range sawdust, but safe and effective.

Next step was to plane and thickness the rough cut sections, each around 1m by 150mm, 6 of them for the surround to the hexagonal top. So lovely to see the ray fleck emerging as the boards were planed up. Then cut to width on the table saw. Finally marked out the 60° mitres, set up the mitre gauge and cut them to length and angle. I was quite surprised when they all married up perfectly in a dry run. 12 angled cuts and not a fag paper gap to be seen when laid out ! I've always had to trim and correct jobs like this in the past, so I was really chuffed !

The slot around the inside is to accept the 15mm MDF central part which will have an inset oak ply panel on top to match up with the oak surround. If this was a show piece, I'd veneer it properly, but it is a kitchen table after all, so ply will do fine. By using MDF for the structure in the middle I can glue it in and avoid panel expansion issues. I tried this first on my desk top which is quite big and it has worked a treat. The surround will have M&T joints with loose tenons at each corner all with drawbored pegs to keep eveything tight.

The plinth is ready to accept the top, so I hope to finish the construction this weekend - I've got all of tomorrow free since Isabelle is in Paris visiting her son, so I can get a clear run at it. Notice the slight gap under the feet. Our kitchen is tiled and Isabelle tends to slosh quite a lot of water around when cleaning it, so I've fitted small feet to keep the wood slightly off the ground - they are adjustable too as our floor is far from level.

Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Feb 2017, 22:13

Looking really nice, David, and them rays...!!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Table and chairs project (table top mostly done)

Postby chataigner » 19 Feb 2017, 13:33

Today I cut mortices in the ends of the 6 sections making up the hexagon. Did this with a spiral upcut bit in the router with both the work and the router supported by a router box.

Then made a batch of slip tenons, cut the 16mm MDF into the hexagon shape to support the top. It goes together with the 16mm MDF set into a slot in the inside edge of the hexagon, just like a frame and panel door then more MDF plus a ply layer on top.

The second layer of MDF is there simply to center the 16mm panel because, without it, there would only be 5mm of the oak frame above the MDF, a bit fragile in my view. The 5mm oak face ply goes on top a bit like a veneer. Think of it as a raised panel !

Did a dry fit just before lunch to test the fit :

The perspective effect from a wide angle lens makes it look a bit of an odd shape, but it's actually a perfect fit, I'm delighted. Glue up this afternoon.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 19 Feb 2017, 14:07

Looking good. Good luck with the glue up.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 19 Feb 2017, 14:51

chataigner wrote:
The perspective effect from a wide angle lens makes it look a bit of an odd shape, but it's actually a perfect fit, I'm delighted.

Indeed. When I first saw your earlier photo of the top, the part nearest the camera looked much more as if it was a pentagon from the angles. I did actually stop and count the sides to start with.

Looking very good David and I wish I had a timber mill local to me. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of prices are you paying for the oak? Are they selling it a QS or are you selecting boards from a stack for optimum grain?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby chataigner » 19 Feb 2017, 15:44

9fingers wrote:Looking very good David and I wish I had a timber mill local to me. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of prices are you paying for the oak? Are they selling it a QS or are you selecting boards from a stack for optimum grain?

Bob

It depends on the thickness, thinner boards, more cuts, more work, more waste etc. These were sawn to 45mm live edge - I paid roughly 600€/m3. At 20mm the price is more like 800€/m3. As for the Q sawn, I'm a pretty regular customer and, while they roll their eyes a bit (mainly because of the time it takes), they let me sort through the stack. However, with live edge boards it's quite easy to do because you can see from the angle of the bark where you are in the log.

Of course these are not strictly Q sawn as they are slices the full width of the log, so you have to cut out the middle bit as well as the live edges, though they do allow for that when measuring up for pricing. I've got a big collection of oak tree stakes for the garden !
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 19 Feb 2017, 16:14

Thanks David,

Those prices seem very good and curiously our prices can be higher for thicker boards than thin ones usually blamed on time in the kiln I think. Wide boards are also sold at a premium.

Is your air dried or kilned?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby chataigner » 19 Feb 2017, 19:39

Last post of the day before heading for a long shower - my back is killing me !

Top is glued up, sharp corners removed, top edge profiled, but still a lot of finishing to do.

In the meantime, the oak ply is being glued into the cavity left for it in the top. A kind friend offered me a vac bag and pump, but unfortunately, the top is too big for the bag. Lots of clamps and spreaders plus some heavy weights will have to suffice !

Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 19 Feb 2017, 19:43

9fingers wrote:Thanks David,

Those prices seem very good and curiously our prices can be higher for thicker boards than thin ones usually blamed on time in the kiln I think. Wide boards are also sold at a premium.

Is your air dried or kilned?

Bob

Most of this yard's timber is kilned and my boards certainly were, but he also does air dried - you have to ask for it specifically and it's not always available.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 19 Feb 2017, 21:16

Coming along nicely!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Commander » 20 Feb 2017, 10:01

That looks fantastic David! If I may ask what does the whole table weigh? Does it disassemble to some extent to make moving it easier? I always try to allow my furniture to disassemble into manageable pieces because they usually end up being heavier/more bulky than expected.
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby chataigner » 20 Feb 2017, 13:59

Commander wrote:That looks fantastic David! If I may ask what does the whole table weigh? Does it disassemble to some extent to make moving it easier? I always try to allow my furniture to disassemble into manageable pieces because they usually end up being heavier/more bulky than expected.

A ton !! I havent weighed it, but the top alone is quite a challenge to lift. Disassemble ? Yes it does - the top and the cross members underneath it lift out of the slots in the tops of the legs. In normal use they will be retained by tapered pegs that can be tapped out from the opposite side. Taking the top off also allows it to be turned on its side to pass though doors 'cos at 1m20 by 1m40 it would be too wide otherwise and the height is too great to pass a 70cm internal door on its side (just OK for an 80cm door though).
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 21 Feb 2017, 06:18

chataigner wrote:
Commander wrote:That looks fantastic David! If I may ask what does the whole table weigh? Does it disassemble to some extent to make moving it easier? I always try to allow my furniture to disassemble into manageable pieces because they usually end up being heavier/more bulky than expected.

A ton !! I havent weighed it, but the top alone is quite a challenge to lift. Disassemble ? Yes it does - the top and the cross members underneath it lift out of the slots in the tops of the legs. In normal use they will be retained by tapered pegs that can be tapped out from the opposite side. Taking the top off also allows it to be turned on its side to pass though doors 'cos at 1m20 by 1m40 it would be too wide otherwise and the height is too great to pass a 70cm internal door on its side (just OK for an 80cm door though).

I can just imagine! :lol: It even looks heavy in pictures!
Commander
Sapling

Re: Table and chairs (finishing the table top)

Postby chataigner » 23 Feb 2017, 17:10

Yesterday I fitted ebony splines in the mitred corners of the table top and got one coat of stain on to the top and the plinth. Today I put on the first coat of varnish - normally I would go for carnauba wax over stain, but this is going to see some pretty rough wear and tear in kitchen, so a coat or three of hard poly seemed like the thing to do. This is still wet, so the colour is not even, I'm hoping it will be better when dry !

I'm increasingly convinced that the ply I bought is not oak, whatever the dealer said. The grain is not right and the colour most certainly isnt. However... I rather like the effect of a different timber in the middle of the top, so I'm actually quite pleased. Hope I dont come to regret it !!

The ebony is not yet polished, the pieces are rather small to handle, so I thought it would be easier to do once they are glued into the edge - that's the next job : sanding to 240g and then waxing.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Feb 2017, 17:53

Still coming along nicely!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 23 Feb 2017, 19:43

Nice, David. Cutting out for those ebony pieces is one of those take-a-deep-breath moments that furniture making throws up regularly, I'll bet.
Last edited by Mike G on 24 Feb 2017, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Commander » 24 Feb 2017, 07:53

That looks great David!
Commander
Sapling

Postby chataigner » 24 Feb 2017, 08:35

Mike G wrote:Nice, David. Cutting out for those ebony pieces is one of those take-a-deep-breath moments that furniture making trows up regularly, I'll bet.

Yes, as you say - when so much time and effort is invested in a project, the last operations are a always bit nervy making. ;) ;)

I ended up making a jig to guide the router that I could clamp on to the table top. Someone on this forum once said "routers are not known for small easily corrected errors when they get out of control". I had it constrained in both planes to leave no room for error. :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 24 Feb 2017, 12:13

chataigner wrote:
Mike G wrote:Nice, David. Cutting out for those ebony pieces is one of those take-a-deep-breath moments that furniture making trows up regularly, I'll bet.

Yes, as you say - when so much time and effort is invested in a project, the last operations are a always bit nervy making. ;) ;)

I ended up making a jig to guide the router that I could clamp on to the table top. Someone on this forum once said "routers are not known for small easily corrected errors when they get out of control". I had it constrained in both planes to leave no room for error. :twisted: :twisted:

I might have been tempted to use a hand-tool.......
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Table and chairs project (table FINISHED)

Postby chataigner » 27 Feb 2017, 16:48

The table is finished. 3 coats of poly on all parts for protection. Shown here with one chair removed so you can see the detail of the table.

Note also that these chairs are borrowed from our dining room and they are rather biger than average. The ones I've designed to go with the table will be a bit smaller, and of course, will match in colour.

Now to finalise the curve of the back of the chairs (probably a full scale mock up) and then I can get started on milling up the parts. There are two really big boards left from the batch of oak I bought a week or two ago and used some for the table top, most of the chairs' parts will come out of that.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Re: Table and chairs project (table DUN)

Postby Phil » 27 Feb 2017, 16:59

David, the table really looks great.

Size also good for the space, cant wait to see the chairs with it.
:D :eusa-clap:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 27 Feb 2017, 19:27

Excellent David, looking forward to the chairs build.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 27 Feb 2017, 20:52

That's cute.

Next time ( ;) ) how about 6 legs to go along with the 6 sides? :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Feb 2017, 21:48

Mike G wrote:That's cute.

Next time ( ;) ) how about 6 legs to go along with the 6 sides? :lol:

Or 3?! ;)

Looking nice!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP