It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:37

Table and chairs project (table DUN)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Table and chairs project

Postby Phil » 20 Dec 2016, 06:38

chataigner wrote:Truly side by side 1m25 is the absolute minimium in my view, 1m40 is better, but angled as in the hexagonal version only the knees come that close ! Elbow room is far greater.

Agree, hexagonal the better route.

You can also talk to and look the person next to you in the face without getting a stiff neck.

chataigner wrote: only the knees come that close !

8-) Depends on who is sitting next to you.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Rod » 20 Dec 2016, 11:18

There's lots of stuff on the web giving min sizes etc for tables, chairs etc

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chataigner » 22 Dec 2016, 10:43

In a quiet moment yesterday I've refined the design with precise proportions etc and added the dimensions - this is what it looks like :

Note it now fits into 1m20, leaving a tiny bit more space at the sides.

Today I plan to revisit the design of the chairs to bring them more into line with the G&G style and to reduce slightly the footprint. The original ones were quite large, seats over 50cm wide, these will need to be a bit smaller.
Last edited by chataigner on 18 Feb 2017, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Wizard9999 » 22 Dec 2016, 10:54

Really looking forward to this, a hexagonal table will be very interesting to see built.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby chataigner » 22 Dec 2016, 12:44

Here we go, this is a first cut at the revised chair design.

I've kept the sizes of the legs the same as my earlier chair, so I will be able to use the same jigs and templates, however the back has been changed radically and the width and depth reduced a bit. I've kept the same proportions for the difference between the width at the front and at the back, so the double angle joinery can also use the same jigs.

The seat height is chosen to suit me, I've got long legs, but it might be wise to reduce it by a cm or so for the comfort of others. What seat height do you find comfortable ?
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Dec 2016, 13:30

Looking good, David.

Although I bought my chairs and table for my kitchen, I found the critical dimensions were the height of the seat relative to the height of the table. Too low, and it's uncomfortable to rest your arms on the table. Too high, and your legs can get caught under the apron.

HTH.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby chataigner » 22 Dec 2016, 14:56

Malc2098 wrote:Looking good, David.

Although I bought my chairs and table for my kitchen, I found the critical dimensions were the height of the seat relative to the height of the table. Too low, and it's uncomfortable to rest your arms on the table. Too high, and your legs can get caught under the apron.

HTH.

One of the advantages of this form of table is that there is no apron, the legs are braced across the centre rather than around the edge. :)
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 22 Dec 2016, 15:24

If it's any help the chairs I made had a front leg length of 445mm. Pressing the seat pad down gives a seat height of 460mm.
Mine were based on one I borrowed from a shop - chosen for the comfortable curve of the back profile.
Our old chairs had straight backs. You sat in them for as long as you needed to then moved away. These ones people tend to stay put much longer. Don't know if it is possible to have a supporting shaped back and the style you want but it would be good if you could.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby chataigner » 22 Dec 2016, 16:45

Robert wrote:If it's any help the chairs I made had a front leg length of 445mm. Pressing the seat pad down gives a seat height of 460mm.
Mine were based on one I borrowed from a shop - chosen for the comfortable curve of the back profile.
Our old chairs had straight backs. You sat in them for as long as you needed to then moved away. These ones people tend to stay put much longer. Don't know if it is possible to have a supporting shaped back and the style you want but it would be good if you could.

Does that mean the backs are curved top to bottom and not just side to side ?

LIke this perhaps :

Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 22 Dec 2016, 17:17

like this :)

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1055

The pictures from my lost build thread on WH1 - loads of them... so skip to the end..
Robert
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 22 Dec 2016, 17:29

Thanks Robert. Got it. From what I can see in the photos, the back slats were cut curved on the BS rather than steam bent - is that right ?

I think I could probably integrate that aspect into mine - the shape of the back as I've drawn it is simply a copy of the previous chair, it's not fundamental to the design. I'll take another look at the design later.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 22 Dec 2016, 18:11

Yes bandsaw cut using a template.

Why not do what I did - go to furniture stores and sit on as many dining chairs as you can. You might find a back shape you like then you just need to trace the profile - or just ask to take a chair home to try it for size.. then trace it at leisure :)
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Stargazer » 22 Dec 2016, 20:11

When making windsor chairs, the seat is often angles so that the front is half an inch higher than the back, mine are 18" at the front and 17.5" between the spindles at the back. The spindles themselves are also angled relative to the seat and we find them extremely comfortable despite the lack of padding.
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby Commander » 22 Dec 2016, 20:34

David, it looks like the design phase is coming together nicely! I have built a rudimentary bench before, but I'm always shocked by the amount of thought and work that needs to go into a decent chair, these look like they will do nicely! I will be keeping an eye out to pick up some tips. :mrgreen:
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Andyp » 22 Dec 2016, 23:02

chataigner wrote:
Robert wrote:If it's any help the chairs I made had a front leg length of 445mm. Pressing the seat pad down gives a seat height of 460mm.

Does that mean the backs are curved top to bottom and not just side to side ?

LIke this perhaps :

That looks like a Sam Maloof chair. Gorgeous. Shame you will not be making those.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 23 Dec 2016, 10:24

I'm with Andy here - gorgeous chairs! 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby 9fingers » 23 Dec 2016, 10:56

David,

When I made my table and chairs, the critical dimension for me was the gap between the seat cushion top and the underside of the table frame or apron so I could get my thighs under the frame when sitting up close to the table to eat. Like you, I have fairly long legs but also quite big thighs.

Floor to frame is 625mm and chair leg height (roughly the same as compressed seat pads) is 490mm on mine.

hth

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby meccarroll » 24 Dec 2016, 08:37

This promises to be an interesting thread. Looking forward to this. Like the chair in the pic above.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 24 Dec 2016, 12:01

I like the look of the hexagonal shape but have you tried the space/layout with say 300mm Diam place settings etc.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chataigner » 12 Jan 2017, 19:09

Made a start today - nothing photogenic to show for it, just a couple of 45mm live-edge oak boards that I've had for years have been band sawn to rough width and length for the feet and legs and then planed and thicknessed.

I'm planning to make the feet and legs (which are around 75mm square section) the same way I made the uprights for the cabinet, that is, two 40mm pieces glued in the thickness then planed to size. Cutting the parts from a wide board of half thickness and glueing the pieces back to back gives an interesting grain pattern - not quite book matched, but close. It's also very stable as any tendancy to move is largely cancelled out with the two very similar pieces working against each other.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Re: Table and chairs project (making a start)

Postby Mike G » 12 Jan 2017, 21:13

Are you sure 420 is wide enough for the seat, Andy? I know it is just for breakfast and lunch, not formal dining, but that feels 30 or 40mm too narrow to me (Everyone who reads this will now reach for a tape measure!!).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Jan 2017, 21:44

When I was in the old job, the minimum EEC bum size for seats in vehicles, backs of vans etc, was 400mm!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Commander » 13 Jan 2017, 05:02

Malc2098 wrote:When I was in the old job, the minimum EEC bum size for seats in vehicles, backs of vans etc, was 400mm!

Which is probably part of the reason why I don't fit properly on airplanes and buses! :? :lol:
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby chataigner » 13 Jan 2017, 10:49

Mike G wrote:Are you sure 420 is wide enough for the seat, Andy? I know it is just for breakfast and lunch, not formal dining, but that feels 30 or 40mm too narrow to me (Everyone who reads this will now reach for a tape measure!!).

Well spotted ! Thanks. You are quite right, I'd measured my existing dining chairs, then, in transferring the dimensions, I made the overall width 420, whereas the 420 refers to the seat pad width of my current chairs, ie inside the front legs. Overall is quite a bit wider. :oops: :oops:

Will revise the drawings in a bit, as I'm only working on the table for now.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 13 Jan 2017, 11:50

I've taken another look at the chair design and have incorporated a curved back (curved in both planes) as suggested by Robert. The width has also been corrected - in my enthusiasm for making the whole thing narrow enough to fit the space, I'd copied a dimension wrongly, looks more balanced now.

Think I need to refine the curve of the back legs, it looks a bit clunky here. Will probably make a full scale mock up.
Last edited by chataigner on 18 Feb 2017, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP