It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:54

Table and chairs project (table DUN)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Table and chairs project (table DUN)

Postby chataigner » 12 Dec 2016, 11:34

I'm in the first stages of a project to build a table and 4 chairs for the kitchen at Rue Darnet. The 2m high Greene and Greene style display cabinet I've recently finished is just a few feet away and it really puts the old cheap pine table to shame. Hence the project which will need to be in keeping style wise.

I've picked out a design from pics found on the net, not original G&G but from the same period and, I think, compatible. Here is the table pic and with it the chair I propose using. I built one of these chairs as a prototype for a planned set of 6 at my former home, but the project was overtaken by events. I've still got all the jigs and templates etc, so it's logical to use that design and the chair back reflects the design of the table legs quite well.

The kitchen at Rue Darnet is fitted both sides which makes the space for the table quite long and narrow.

I could align the legs as on the right in the diagram and place the chairs at 45° to the room, or align the legs at 45° and place the chairs square to the room - however, if I do that the whole thing will have to be scaled down or made narrower or it will be a bit cramped. Note, this is just for casual family use, there is a dining room with table and 8 chairs (expandable to 10) for entertaining. What do you think ?
Last edited by chataigner on 27 Feb 2017, 16:32, edited 8 times in total.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Re: Table and chairs project

Postby Commander » 12 Dec 2016, 12:16

David, that looks like another great project and I will be keeping an eye on this thread. For what its worth the 2 chairs per side design looks a bit odd to my eye, so I would opt for the one chair on each side design (does that make sense?), I do understand the constraints of the room are a big factor however.

I'm also guessing a rectangular table is not an option with the style/not to your liking?

At any rate I look forward to seeing a oval/round table made, I think I can learn a lot!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby chataigner » 12 Dec 2016, 12:24

Commander wrote:David, that looks like another great project and I will be keeping an eye on this thread. For what its worth the 2 chairs per side design looks a bit odd to my eye, so I would opt for the one chair on each side design (does that make sense?), I do understand the constraints of the room are a big factor however.

I'm also guessing a rectangular table is not an option with the style/not to your liking?

At any rate I look forward to seeing a oval/round table made, I think I can learn a lot!

It could be rectangular, the old one is after all, but I liked the idea of an oval. That being said, most G&G was rectangular with breadboard ends, so it would be quite authentic :

Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 12 Dec 2016, 13:25

OT :- !
I always like your work and posts ..

but

I always get glenn miller in my head ! lol :lol:
chattanooga choo choo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHIn5S-RbY
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 12 Dec 2016, 13:28

You'll all be doin it tomorra !
:D

Spook !!! :shock:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 12 Dec 2016, 13:31

in fact ,, I have that on video ... .. on goes the glenn miller story ......

see you all later ......
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Dec 2016, 14:38

David,
I think in the available space a rectangular table would be more practical and I prefer the design and accents on that one.
Suggest you make a cardboard template of the oval shape you require plonk it in top of the existing and see how it works.

I look forward to seeing the build whichever you choose.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 12 Dec 2016, 16:25

I like both tables, but particularly the rectangular one. The drawer makes it look very much like a kitchen table rather than for dining. Not so sure about the chairs.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby chataigner » 12 Dec 2016, 17:40

The trouble with a rectangular table is that the available width with chairs placed each side limits the table to around 75cm wide (the size of the existing one) and which I find a bit small. My reasoning was that by going to an oval with the chairs angled, the table could be wider in the same space - as below.

However, the gain in table area is fairly small and this exercise has made me realise that it's not the table that is the limiting factor, it's the chairs when pulled back enough to allow soneone to sit. Turn the whole thing round 90° and put the chairs in the length and the table can be much bigger. Here it is as a square, could be even longer.

Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Dec 2016, 18:33

Hi David,

The room looks a nice size for a farmhouse style table and chairs approach.

FWIW, I found that a previous round/oval table that I had in a dining room, just didn't seem to make best use of available space. I see what you mean about the chair spaces, but I found that table space was more of a priority. Tables are often used much more than just for dining. You may have much more room than I had, but trying to do admin work, or children trying to do homework on and curved edged table, just didn't work.

I'd prefer rectangular.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Commander » 13 Dec 2016, 05:48

I am in two minds now, on the one hand I was really looking forward to seeing a round/oval table made, but I also prefer the rectangular table (especially the one you posted), and I think turning the table 90* as you suggested would be the right solution especially looking at the pic of your kitchen as it is.

At any rate I'm looking forward to another excellent project!
Commander
Sapling

Postby Robert » 13 Dec 2016, 10:28

I think I may be seeing this a little differently. I look at your cabinet and see some attractive art deco styling and the pegs and block panels G & G elements as secondary.

The table and chair pictures don't have anything that reflects the art deco 'fan' or even the stepped cross rail look.

May just be me though as I'm not keen on the G & G pegs etc style but do like the cabinet.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby chataigner » 14 Dec 2016, 08:38

The square table with the chairs in the length works well on paper, but looks a bit odd in the room itself (I've mocked it up using the existing table with an extended top). The oval table still has the chairs well to the sides, so I thought perhaps round, but a hexagon works even better I think :-

I could even stretch the length of the hexagon to give a bit more table space...

(Just for ref., the width of the space defined by the lines on the drawing is 1m30)

Robert : Yes I agree the designs as posted (copied from elsewhere) do not really conform to the style of the cabinet, however, I would adapt them. The table could have G&G style ebony inserts in the edges of the top and the legs would need to be straight. I could also add a cloud lift in the bottom rail of the table leg assembly, plus of course the pegs that you dont much like... ;) ;) As for the chairs, the back could be adapted and the front and side seat rails could include cloud lifts, I'll do some sketches.

Getting there slowly - thanks for the inputs. Having one's ideas challenged really helps clarify thinking.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 14 Dec 2016, 09:40

I would go with a rectangular table.

Looking forward to seeing this develop. 8-)

Your new G&G display cabinet is looking very graceful and elegant in her new resting place - top chap! 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby chataigner » 14 Dec 2016, 10:40

A first look at the detail of a couple of ideas for a hexagonal version of the table :

Last edited by chataigner on 18 Feb 2017, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Commander » 14 Dec 2016, 12:58

chataigner wrote:A first look at the detail of a couple of ideas for a hexagonal version of the table :

Ah yes, I think this is a good compromise, would also make an interesting project. Looking forward to what ever you decide to build!
Commander
Sapling

Postby Tusses » 14 Dec 2016, 15:07

I'm guessing I have my proportions wrong from your drawing ?

the photo looks plenty spacious :)

But the drawings look tight to the wall ?

how many of you usually dine at once ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 15 Dec 2016, 09:02

I went through a phase years ago when I fancied one room in the house that had all of its furniture suspended from the ceiling with nothing touching the floor. I know you can't really do this in your kitchen, but a suspended table would be rather interesting. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Tusses » 15 Dec 2016, 19:21

Pinch wrote:I went through a phase years ago when I fancied one room in the house that had all of its furniture suspended from the ceiling with nothing touching the floor. I know you can't really do this in your kitchen, but a suspended table would be rather interesting. 8-)

like a DJ setup :D
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chataigner » 17 Dec 2016, 13:10

Tusses wrote:I'm guessing I have my proportions wrong from your drawing ?

the photo looks plenty spacious :)

But the drawings look tight to the wall ?

how many of you usually dine at once ?

Question of interpretation ! The lines on the drawing represent the max width I feel I can use without making the access too narrow - they are imaginary boundaries. The actual width between the kitchen units is 2m55, the space I've decided to allow for the table is 1m25, so that leaves 1m30 divided between two open spaces of 65cm each. Just about enough... Remember, this is not just space to pass through, but there are kitchen cabinets with doors that need space to open etc.
Last edited by chataigner on 19 Dec 2016, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 17 Dec 2016, 14:23

David, are you suggesting the new table will be 1.25m wide? That seems very large for occasional 4 person
use.
I would have thought a 1m is wide enough by about 1.70 or 1.80 would fit well enough and accommodate 4 or even 6 easily easily.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 19 Dec 2016, 10:13

I was suggesting 1m25 wide, but having mocked it up, I agree with you, smaller would be fine and would have the advantage of leaving more room at the sides of the kitchen. I'm thinking 1m or perhaps a fraction more...
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 19 Dec 2016, 12:10

chataigner wrote:I was suggesting 1m25 wide, but having mocked it up, I agree with you, smaller would be fine and would have the advantage of leaving more room at the sides of the kitchen. I'm thinking 1m or perhaps a fraction more...

Why not side by side at the existing table and get a feeling of how close together you can sit comfortably, eating?

1.25 gives 620mm per person
1.00 gives 500mm per person

There is nothing worse than sitting close to another person and trying to eat.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby chataigner » 19 Dec 2016, 14:10

Truly side by side 1m25 is the absolute minimium in my view, 1m40 is better, but angled as in the hexagonal version only the knees come that close ! Elbow room is far greater.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 19 Dec 2016, 14:14

Andyp wrote:David, are you suggesting the new table will be 1.25m wide? That seems very large for occasional 4 person
use.
I would have thought a 1m is wide enough by about 1.70 or 1.80 would fit well enough and accommodate 4 or even 6 easily easily.

I think you've missed the point Andy - for a rectangular table, even 1m wide plus the chairs at the sides wont fit. 1m70 long for two people would be fine, but only if you turn it across the kitchen and then the 1m70 blocks the access, 1m30 in the width is the absolute limit. That's why I'm looking at other shapes.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Next

Return to Projects & WIP