It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:51

Doors

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Doors

Postby Doug » 17 Jan 2017, 17:58

I'd recently been asked to make some internal doors to match the existing in an old Victorian property, the main reason for this was the disparity in sizes from what are there & what was available to buy off the shelf.

The timber was unsorted redwood which was first sawn, planed & thicknessed to size.
Some of the rails needed to be made from two pieces so this is where I started shooting the mating surfaces

These were then domino'd with 50x10mm dom's

& glued together

The panels were also made from solid timber, as these ended up 11mm thick they were jointed with 20x4mm dominos

Dry fit prior to glue up

All the rails & stiles were then run through the moulder to form slots

After which stub tenons were cut on the rails also on the moulder & the frame dry fitted

Next the panels were planed to fit & the joints reinforced with 120x12mm dominos

To aid glueing up I borrowed an idea I'd seen on the Haven & made some 90 degree glueing blocks, first planing them square on the shooting board,

Then drilling holes at the pillar drill for the clamps

All that was left was the final glue up which was done in two stages, first the rails & mid stiles

Then the outer stiles

There is beading to be fitted around the perimeter of the panels but that will be done on site when the doors are hung.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Doors

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Jan 2017, 18:29

Doug, Nice.

Did the door size come anywhere near the old 6'6"x2'6" or similar standard Imperial sizes? I ask, because where I worked in the 60s, yours was a standard pattern door supplied by the firm I worked for, and imported/made by METCO of Southall (Merchant Trading Company).
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 17 Jan 2017, 19:30

I've never seems clamps joined together like that before. I guess it is an expensive Bessey accessorie.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jan 2017, 19:37

Nice Doug

Quick question, the Dom XL, does that do all the same sizes as the regular Dom then the bigger sizes in addition?

Wondering whether to trade in my small one for the biggie...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 17 Jan 2017, 20:33

Nice work Doug - will you be finishing them too?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 17 Jan 2017, 21:39

Malc2098 wrote:Doug, Nice.

Did the door size come anywhere near the old 6'6"x2'6" or similar standard Imperial sizes? I ask, because where I worked in the 60s, yours was a standard pattern door supplied by the firm I worked for, and imported/made by METCO of Southall (Merchant Trading Company).

Malc, the door on the bench was the 28"x78"X1 3/8" which was the only size we found commercially available but it was in knotty pine which looked more like a dart board with knots instead of dart holes.

Most of the others doors are 33"x78"x 1 5/8" which we couldn't find anywhere on the internet.
I could have filled the rebate with an 1/4" fillet but the customer didn't want that
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 17 Jan 2017, 21:44

Andyp wrote:I've never seems clamps joined together like that before. I guess it is an expensive Bessey accessorie.

To be honest Andy I bought it at the Harrogate show last November with this job in mind, on the day I believe it was £19.99 which for the quality of engineering I didn't think was expensive, certainly cheaper than buying a 7' or 8' clamp which I would then have to find a place to store.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 17 Jan 2017, 21:49

TrimTheKing wrote:Nice Doug

Quick question, the Dom XL, does that do all the same sizes as the regular Dom then the bigger sizes in addition?

Wondering whether to trade in my small one for the biggie...

Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark,
The XL takes standard 8,10,12 & 14mm long length XL cutters but I believe there is an after market extension that allows you to use the 500 cutters on the XL.

I don't have personal knowledge of the extension but have read about it, personally I use the 500 so much I wouldn't want to be without it but obviously it has its limitations.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 17 Jan 2017, 21:51

Rod wrote:Nice work Doug - will you be finishing them too?

Rod

Cheers Rod, I will be hanging them but the finishing will be done by the customers decorator
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jan 2017, 22:24

Thanks Doug

Don't think I can justify the XL as well as the 500, but will have a look at that extension and see what it's all about.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Doug » 17 Jan 2017, 22:32

Here you go Mark http://www.senecawoodworking.com/produc ... tool-df700

To be honest I'd have thought any engineer worth his salt would be able to razz one up, probably do it yourself if you've got the necessary kit.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jan 2017, 01:46

Cheers Doug

I don't have the kit but I do have a resident Bob...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Norty Raskel » 18 Jan 2017, 12:39

Mark,

I have both the Seneca adapter and their domishims. They both work well with the XL and I haven't come across a job where I wished I had 500. I also prefer the handle position of the XL over the 500.

I could pop the adapter in the post if you (Bob) wanted to use it as a template.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Name: Jon

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jan 2017, 17:02

Hi Jon

Thanks for that, very generous. I'm not in the market right now but once I get the workshop build finished and move in then I might just take you up on that.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Return to Projects & WIP