It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:33

A bench for little people

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

A bench for little people

Postby Coley » 09 Aug 2014, 21:36

My workmates kids pop over shop now and then and it always fascinates me watching how they work and think. As much as i tried to be accommodating having them less than 700 mm from where I was working gradually became apparent it wasn't to be. I thought the best way would be to shove........encourage them over to there dads bench so they could watch him working

Admittedly the lift things don't help much, they stop fingers being trapped when the legs fold away but aren't really man enough to lift the top on it's own liked I'd hoped. Highlight of the week was today watching one of them (Joe) cutting a handrail with a coping saw while the other (Tom) set to work on a piece of mdf with a hand drill. He had a glint in his eye when I passed him a 10.8 with a sharp twist bit attached
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Re: A bench for little people

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Aug 2014, 23:15

Neat solution, and handy little space if he needs any extra when working too. :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 10 Aug 2014, 08:12

Very nice. I bet they were as pleased as punch.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Coley » 10 Aug 2014, 09:25

Thanks guys, they do seem to enjoy having somewhere to call their own. Only issue now is they borrow something then ask 'can I have that for my bench'
I use to mess around in dads garage using his engineering vice and it seemed alot easier to start with using that instead of a woody vice. I'll change it sometime to a proper woodworking one, not till the youngest can saw wood on this safely though giving them a rasp to use is going to be entertaining- might have to make some wooden slip over vice jaws first though !
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby fred » 10 Aug 2014, 11:10

Fantastic idea Coley. Great use of hinges and drop bolts. It should prove useful for you to use for large and tall objects.

And it's given me an idea for my little workshop. I've got a big chunky engineers vice on the end of my bench, that gets in the way sometimes, and can be a bit to high. Looks like i'll be making a similar drop down bench end for it! Thanks for sharing your ingenuity!

cheers
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Coley » 10 Aug 2014, 12:40

No worries fred tom posted a link to a picture ages ago that folded down and turned into a table. Ever since I saw it I've been putting the fold up tables everywhere

This was another I put up for painting.

Same principle, but slightly different- kind of unfolds as you release it from the wall
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP