It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:49

Utility area

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Utility area

Postby woodstalker » 11 Feb 2017, 21:35

So we finished the staircase from the ground floor to the lower ground floor/cellar and Mrs Woodstalker has been decorating it and herself quite a bit. I moved the washing machine and tumble dryer down and am building a utility area and worktop down there.

To save costs i am using the wood i bought last year with the intention of building the vertical panel saw, since it was so wonky when delivered it was useless for that but has proved useful for practising my joinery skills and also for building this. Also to save costs i went and bought some 6' scaffold boards which will be the worktop and we are now here:

The stand is separate and not actually attached to anything in this pic as is the sink just resting whilst i check for size, clearances etc. Its been in the garden for three house moves since i got it so it will be nice to finally use the (massive heavy) thing.

I built a frame around the washing machine and tumble dryer and cut the boards to fit, I've just sanded them now and they look good i think, i am going to finish them with light brown wax to take the brightness of them.

So far so good! I'm impressed with the scaffold boards in that they are very straight and solid and easy to work with.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Utility area

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Feb 2017, 23:11

I am really liking the scaffold boards and butler's sink. I was going to do the same in our utility, but it is much smaller and we couldn't find a sink small enough.

It's looking nice. Be aware that washing machines can walk, and if you build round them, they can walk into and vibrate against what we built!

Looking good!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 12 Feb 2017, 09:39

That's a tricky corner that you have had to work those machines into. Can you not make better use of space by having the tumble dryer on top of the washing machine? Will loose worktop I suppose though.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby woodstalker » 12 Feb 2017, 10:14

Andyp wrote:That's a tricky corner that you have had to work those machines into. Can you not make better use of space by having the tumble dryer on top of the washing machine? Will loose worktop I suppose though.

Hi Andy, we did think about that, the problem is my wife can't then reach the controls which turns doing the laundry into a blue job rather than a pink job so I didn't fancy that much. Plus as you say we would lose the worktop. The kitchenette that was there already was on the same footprint so it's no loss to the room overall. What you can't see is that the room opens up behind me into what we have made a multi use space. It's a guest bedroom, play area, etc. So despite this corner appearing small it's open onto a much bigger space.

Cheers

James
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Feb 2017, 11:26

While watching the news the other night my daughter asked me what "blue collar workers" meant. I wish I had thought of your definition. :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Tusses » 12 Feb 2017, 12:34

could you make the worktop removable in the corner, with the washing powder etc stored underneath ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 12 Feb 2017, 13:01

Tusses wrote:could you make the worktop removable in the corner, with the washing powder etc stored underneath ?

I am building a little cupboard under the sink although knowing my planning it will be too low to fit the large bottles in!

I have accepted that little corner will be dead space but actually it holds a lot of drain plumbing and also i am going to remote the electrical supply for the w/m and t/d under there too whilst replacing the cooker socket with a standard twin one.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 12 Feb 2017, 13:03

Andyp wrote:While watching the news the other night my daughter asked me what "blue collar workers" meant. I wish I had thought of your definition. :D

Oh yes there are blue jobs and pink jobs as well as purple jobs although there seem to be a lot more blue jobs if i'm honest although i suppose come the summer when i go away they will all be pink jobs then.

However the system seems to work and stops us arguing quite so much :lol:
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 12 Feb 2017, 14:24

I converted a small box room into a laundry room, saves taking the laundry downstairs, Only problem the washer sounds like a chinook helicopter on spin. Dosen't half make the windows rattle :D
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 12 Feb 2017, 18:21

The utility room is now down two flights of stairs so nice and quiet overnight but i need to build a laundry chute; Mrs Woodstalker doesn't like me throwing our washing out of the bedroom window to land by the utility room door :lol:
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 12 Feb 2017, 21:46

Been beavering away this afternoon, with an 80 minute break for the rugby. So have sorted the wiring for the plugs for the w/m and t/d plus the drain for the sink. I am onto my last board for the worktop but its the most complicated one with a different angle at each end and a cutout for the sink. Because the little one was in bed i ripped a plank down by hand and then hand planed it almost to the correct thickness. Needs another 2mm off i would say but i have now stopped for the night and will pick up again tomorrow after work.

Feeling quite pleased with it so far! :)
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Feb 2017, 16:18

So you should! :eusa-clap:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Return to Projects & WIP