It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:29

Self Build Orangery

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Self Build Orangery

Postby Norty Raskel » 06 Oct 2018, 16:03

RogerS wrote:Cracking job, that man. How many Weetabix did you need to keeplifting that chunk of wood ? I know I couldn't.

Your upstand construction for the lantern is also interesting. How will you face it off ?

Thanks Roger,

The upstand will be clad in 9mm OSB either side, with 100mm celotex between. The inner OSB will drop down and cover the joist and will itself be covered with plasterboard. The outer OSB will have the EPDM directly bonded to it.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Name: Jon

Postby Andyp » 06 Oct 2018, 18:53

Wow :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 06 Oct 2018, 19:31

RogerS wrote:........Your upstand construction for the lantern is also interesting. How will you face it off ?

If I remember my drawings correctly, this roof will be a warm deck, meaning the insulation will sit on top of the joists (and OSB). Therefore, what looks like a huge upstand now will be much reduced in the end.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 06 Oct 2018, 20:33

Mike your memory serves you well.

The upstand at present is 325mm, on top of the joists will 18mm OSB, 130mm insulation topped off with 9mm ply, the firrings close to the house are 47mm deep so once the roof is covered the upstand height will be some where in the region of 121-168mm.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Oct 2018, 13:52

Looks magnificent mate, good work!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby MCLUMA » 19 Oct 2018, 12:43

very nice work :eusa-clap:
MCLUMA
Seedling

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 24 Mar 2019, 23:02

I'm really not very good at these WIP postings. I'm sorry to say it's been 5 months since my last update.

I'd all but given up on getting the EPDM on and the roof watertight before Xmas because of the incessant rain we had leading up to Christmas, Mike had advised not to fit the insulation and the top deck of ply unless I could get the EPDM promptly as the water would get trapped leading to rot.

Life then threw us a real spanner in the works, I was due to fly out to Majorca with my parents for a 10 day holiday over the Xmas period, unfortunately the evening before we were due to fly my mum suffered a stroke, so the holiday was cancelled and I unexpectedly found myself at home over Xmas. After a couple of days of turmoil and shock, I noticed the weather had been dry and was forecast to stay dry for most of the week, so to take my mind of things I decided to crack on with the roof. (Mum is making a good recovery and is back on her feet)

There's not too many photos of the roof covering as most nights I finished working by torch light.
IMG_5709.JPG
celotex 1
(342.81 KiB)

IMG_5711.JPG
celotex 2
(322.18 KiB)

IMG_5732.JPG
completed roof
(397.21 KiB)

All the EPDM came from Rubber4Roofs, who are 20minutes from me, I found them incredibly helpful and they didn't laugh too hard when I rang them in desperation having kicked over a pot of primer on the roof!!! :oops: :oops:

I went for the thicker 1.5mm rubber, the extra cost was marginal and it gave additional peace of mind. I had help getting it on the roof, the roll was VERY heavy, it was a struggle even with the extra pair of hands. I'm fortunate that my bedroom window opens onto the orangery roof, so the best way was to lug the roll through the house, up the stairs and out through a window.

The drawback of those bedrooms windows is I now look out over all the air bubbles trapped under the rubber!! :(

Just after I got the roof watertight (apart from the great hole in the middle), the weather returned to it's usual wet and cold, so I turned my attention to the insides. I need to remove a chimney breast as the downstairs wall is being removed, the external stack had already been removed to below the roof line, so I started in loft working down until I broke into the bedroom.
IMG_5720.JPG
Chimney part way
(203.83 KiB)

and just kept going
IMG_5722.JPG
bedroom chimney down
(225.72 KiB)

IMG_5726.JPG
kitchen chimney
(255.75 KiB)

Up to now, the chimney has been constructed with lime mortar, and a quick tap, either with hand or hammer was enough to free the brick, however when the chimney breast in the kitchen was bricked up to take a gas fire (originally the chimney housed a range cooker, you can still the tiles splash back), the left hand pillar was rebuilt at some point with rock hard mortar, my SDS chisel won't touch it, but as the wall is currently only single skin I don't want to use too much force to demolish it. I'll insert a beam to support the upper wall before taking a sledge hammer to what remains of the chimney breast.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the process up to now, I couldn't wait to get back to some woodworking and here was my first opportunity, the roof lantern :eusa-dance:
IMG_5734.JPG
wood pile
(468.55 KiB)

A lovely pile of Sapele :eusa-clap:
The long 4m cill sections were awkward running through my P/T, but I was fortunate that boards were pretty flat and twist free to start with.
57384456236__27BD2694-F90E-49CD-B648-C3B580B56824.JPG
long cill
(227.03 KiB)

I wanted to do something to break up the plain rafters and was going to go for chamfers until I found the large round over bit
IMG_1074.JPG
mouldings
(202.87 KiB)

The only space I've got large enough and out of the weather to dry assemble the lantern is in my kitchen, it really does give it a sense of scale, the lantern fills the kitchen, I have to breath in to reach my cooker!!
IMG_5755.JPG
roof lantern
(287.32 KiB)

The lantern is pretty much finished, I'll break it all down now and paint it before reassembling in position on the roof.
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Norty Raskel » 24 Mar 2019, 23:04

Argh, the dreaded Mac photos, can someone tell me how to rotate them, nothing I do seems to make any difference. :evil: :evil:

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 24 Mar 2019, 23:12

The easy way is take them with volume buttons downwards.

However you should be able to rotate them in the Photos app. under edit

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 24 Mar 2019, 23:13

Cor blimey ! Sapele :o Now, there's posh! Great posts...I can see them posting....which one of us will finish first ?

Whose system have you chosen for the glass. liners etc ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 24 Mar 2019, 23:23

Before I can knock down and remove that internal wall and the rest of the chimney breast in the kitchen I need to fit a new exterior door to what is currently my outside toilet, but will become the entrance to my utility room.

IMG_5747.JPG
utility door
(358.56 KiB)

IMG_5748.JPG
Back door
(294.07 KiB)

I would like to fit the door to the inner leaf of the brick work (solid 9" wall) so it's set back slightly. I want to avoid having a wide wooden threshold, so I'm thinking of fitting a stone step/cill to match the stone head above the door, however I can't find any examples on the net of how to overcome the weather sealing / draught proofing.

I know I could machine a slot for a pile carrier on the underside of the door, and fit a wooden weather bar to deflect the rain at the bottom but would this come up to modern day standards? (I already have two very draughty exterior doors - I don't want to deliberately add another).

Can anyone advise or show examples?

Ta
Jon
Last edited by Norty Raskel on 25 Mar 2019, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Norty Raskel » 24 Mar 2019, 23:26

Thanks Bob,

I generally use a digital camera to avoid the issues with i-phone photos, the two pictures above of the door have been taken with that camera and yet I'm having rotation issues still.

Rotating the photos and then reloading them doesn't appear to make much difference, I'll experiment further.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Norty Raskel » 24 Mar 2019, 23:37

Hi Roger,

I've always viewed Sapele as a dependable but dull hardwood, I use it for anything painted, however, I had some lovely grain patterns on this batch and I'm almost loathed to paint it.

I'm going to use the Exitex Capex system of roofing bars, powder coated aluminium. I would have preferred to go a more traditional route, timber bars with a lead capping, but I decided to go with the Exitex system for speed of installation - I just hope it doesn't look too modern.

My money is on yours to be finished first :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Jon
Last edited by Norty Raskel on 25 Mar 2019, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 24 Mar 2019, 23:41

The basic problem is with the way that apple store the photos which is the basic file plus an orientation indicator.
It might be that when you load the photo onto an apple device, that the storage system comes into play. You might still have to rotate in "photos" to get it right.

I cant try this as i take photos on iphone and post from a pc platform.

Good luck
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 24 Mar 2019, 23:53

Lovely looking lantern, Jon! I hope you've thought of a way of getting it up on the roof...... :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 24 Mar 2019, 23:58

It is a shame about the pictures but the work is impressive. Do you know what caused the issues with the rubber I am going to fit mine soon so any tips would be appreciated.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Norty Raskel » 25 Mar 2019, 00:02

Hi Mike,

I just tell people I'm going to take the back wall out, and rather worryingly it's something they all think I'm capable of!!

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Norty Raskel » 25 Mar 2019, 00:13

Hi Michael,

They're not big issues, I'm told I'm a perfectionist so little things p155 me off. However my lessons learnt would be:

1) Get help, it's best to roll the rubber down onto the deck adhesive, doing this by yourself it's difficult to get it to roll straight and flat.
2) The roof lantern made things difficult for me, I ended up gluing it down in four sections, if yours is one flat roof it should be fairly straightforward.
3) Do it in the summer. The advise is to let the rubber settle for a period of time, the rubber is supplied folded so will have creases, the longer you can leave it lying flat in the heat the better your chances of losing the creases.

Other than that it's a fairly easy process and gets you a waterproof roof potentially in a day.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby RogerS » 25 Mar 2019, 07:12

Norty Raskel wrote:.....
3) Do it in the summer. ..... lying flat in the heat .....
Jon

LOL....you do know where Michael lives, don't you ? :lol:

Your lantern is very, very tidy. If I can make mine as well, I'll be very pleased.

Did you look into the Alukap system at all ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 29 Mar 2019, 14:05

Jon...how have you constructed the roof lantern ? Proper joints ? Screws ? Domino's ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 29 Mar 2019, 22:35

Hi Roger,

A combination of dominoes and screws, but the decision was based really on the need to assemble it in the kitchen and then dismantle before rebuilding on the roof. I think on final assembly I'll add glue to the joints/dominoes so the joints should be rock solid.

I received my order of Exitex Capex on Wednesday, I'll get some photos up over the weekend.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby RogerS » 29 Mar 2019, 22:37

Norty Raskel wrote:Hi Roger,

A combination of dominoes and screws, but the decision was based really on the need to assemble it in the kitchen and then dismantle before rebuilding on the roof. ....

Jon

I was hoping you'd say that ! Did you do your domino's vertically or horizontally ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 29 Mar 2019, 22:43

Two vertical dominoes in the birdmouth and a single horizontal at the ridge. I did think about going straight through the ridge with a single long domino to pin the rafters on both sides, but in the end put separate dominoes either side.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby RogerS » 30 Mar 2019, 15:23

Thanks Jon. Getting the orientation right to facilitate assembly is challenging, to say the least, as far as I'm concerned.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Apr 2019, 21:06

Looking at your lantern, Jon..

Is there any reason why the jack rafter finishes below the hip rafter ? Surely it needs to be flush at the top to support the glass completely ? (red arrow)

What's the little gizmo shown by the yellow arrow ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP