It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:28

Self Build Orangery

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Self Build Orangery

Postby Norty Raskel » 08 Apr 2019, 21:44

Hi Roger,

The hip rafter is chamfered along its length to accommodate the change in angles at the corner (the hip backing angle), so the jack rafter joins at the bottom of that chamfer to form a continuous surface up to the peak of the hip chamfer. I hope that makes sense.

I don't see your picture, so I'm not sure what the yellow arrow is pointing at.

Incidentally I found this calculator invaluable during the design phase https://www.blocklayer.com/roof/roofeng.aspx

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Name: Jon

Postby RogerS » 09 Apr 2019, 03:23

Norty Raskel wrote:Hi Roger,

The hip rafter is chamfered along its length to accommodate the change in angles at the corner (the hip backing angle), so the jack rafter joins at the bottom of that chamfer to form a continuous surface up to the peak of the hip chamfer. I hope that makes sense.

I don't see your picture, so I'm not sure what the yellow arrow is pointing at.

Incidentally I found this calculator invaluable during the design phase https://www.blocklayer.com/roof/roofeng.aspx

Jon

Senior moment !

jon's lantern.png
(403.2 KiB)

It looks like a step ie the end of the jack rafter is not flush with the chamfer on the hip rafter.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 09 Apr 2019, 09:26

Hi Roger,

I thought that must be what you were referring to, as I couldn't think of anything else.

I made a block up to fit the end of the ridge, to make the joins of the rafters neater as they will be very much on show.

I made one in softwood first to proof the concept
IMG_1075.JPG
Mock Up
(83.39 KiB)

And then made the real thing with some additional detailing
IMG_1134.JPG
Painted
(160.33 KiB)

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 09 Apr 2019, 09:50

Very nice attention to detail Jon!

I like that approach very much.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 09 Apr 2019, 10:08

That's an interesting approach and provides very good strength at the corners as well as being visually appealing. Shame you're painting that lovely sapele !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 25 Apr 2019, 09:18

After what seemed like an eternity I finished painting the separate components and the lantern was finally ready to be permanently rebuilt on the roof.

IMG_5766.JPG
Paint
(284.48 KiB)

I had measured for the glass before disassembly and placed the order the week before, so on the Friday afternoon I took off from work to collect the glass spurred on by the thought of the roof being water tight by the end of the weekend. Ha!!

I really should know better by now, pretty much everything on the build has taken longer than I had envisaged so at the end of the weekend this is as far as I had got.

IMG_5773.JPG
Part built 1
(289.32 KiB)

IMG_5774.JPG
Part built 2
(304.08 KiB)

The sill is fixed and sealed with the main rafters and ridge secure, but still requires the hip and jack rafters and nowhere near needing the glass yet.

I then had a week of long hours at work so no more progress during the week, but I have the Easter week booked off so there was no need to rush it.

So now we're up to the weekend just passed, time to fit the hip/jack rafters, but now these are too tight, they were a tight fit dry fitted on the bench and the thickness of the paint plus some very slight changes in alignment meant they would now longer fit, so back and forth, up and down the ladder I went sanding down the sides of the rafter until they were a snug fit between the closers.

During assembly I had used cascamite, partly because I wanted the longer open time and partly I wanted cascamite gap filling properties to aid air tightness (incidentally the first weekend the temperature was 7degC and the excess cascamite hadn't set the next day, the following weekend it was over 20degC and the glue was beginning to stiffen as I was using it).

This is where I got to at the end of the second weekend, frame work all complete.

IMG_5776.JPG
Complete 1
(335.8 KiB)

IMG_5779.JPG
complete 2
(287.58 KiB)

I really like how the detailing has worked out from below

IMG_5778.JPG
Detail 1
(242.23 KiB)

IMG_5777.JPG
Detail 2
(122.96 KiB)

I have noticed some very small glints of light coming through between some of the rafters and the closers, the fit being not as tight as I would have wanted so I will need to go round with some sealer/filler at some point.

Monday I spent stapling on the rubber gaskets, no photos I'm afraid, I got carried away and finished in poor light.

So Tuesday brings the big day, glazing day. I had laid awake at night wondering how I would go about this. I needed to get two panes in place before I could get the first cap in place to pin them in position. I was hoping the gaskets would be enough to hold the first pane in place whilst I fitted the second but as soon as it was placed in position it started to slide down. After much head scratching I decided to use a flooring clamp (effectively a ratchet strap with a L shaped plate at each end) to hook over the far side of the lantern, over the ridge and then hooked over the bottom of the pane to hold it in place.

There are no photos during the fitting phase because I don't think I ever been so nervous on a job before, a combination of heavy expensive glass and what now looked like a very big hole down to the ground...........

Anyway, once those first to units went in, I found more of a process as the job went on aided by the ever increasing area to lean against.

After a long tiring day, I got to here

IMG_5781.JPG
Glazed 1
(295.89 KiB)

IMG_5782.JPG
Glazed 2
(285.68 KiB)

Rather annoyingly, the little triangles between the hip and the jack, were made wrong, so I wasn't able to get it fully watertight that evening. I checked my drawing which was correct (although maybe sightly ambiguous) which was a relief and the supplier has accepted responsibility and will get some more made up for the end of this week.

Once they're fitted, I just need to finish off the capping to hide the screws and fit the finials before I can sign it off as complete :eusa-dance:

Incidentally, if anyone was interested the double glazing spec was 24mm, 4mm Pilkington K-edge, 16mm warm edge spacer, 4mm toughened clear glass, argon filled, giving a U-value of 1.2.

I now think I need a couple of weekends gardening as things have been neglected for quite some time, before deciding on what to tack next.
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Mike G » 25 Apr 2019, 09:36

That looks fantastic, Jon. Well done.

What capping system have you used?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 25 Apr 2019, 09:43

Thanks Mike,

I used Exitex's Capex 50/70 system, I like it, it's been one of the easier processes in the build.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Apr 2019, 09:54

Looks excellent that does mate! Top job!

:text-bravo: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 25 Apr 2019, 15:38

You put me to shame, Jon...I dare not show your photos to my wife ....I like the detailing underneath and wish I'd done something similar.

Also thanks for the heads up re the Capex system. I had been going for the Alukap system and at first glance it was cheaper. Then I went down the route we discussed and found that Capex was cheaper. Not only that, having revisited Alukap I now realise that it would have been totally unsuitable given the profile of the aluminium ...designed for thick polycarbonate or double-glazed units. Not single glazed like mine.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Apr 2019, 15:58

Impressive. I had no idea that yours and Roger’s lanterns were going to be capped like that. Clever stuff.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Norty Raskel » 25 Apr 2019, 16:34

Thanks everyone, I'm pleased with the way it's turned out, I was concerned the capping system would make it look too modern, I seriously considered going for a traditional hardwood bead and lead capping but luckily Exitex brought out a grey version of their system which swung it for me, previously it was only available in the usual brown or white which was a definite no-no, custom powder coating was my only other option.

Roger, I stumbled across the exitex system several years ago for the very reason you've just mentioned. 3 years ago, I started on a large (30'x12') greenhouse in Western Red Cedar and was looking for a capping system as I didn't relish the regular painting of WRC caps on such a tall roof. However all the systems I found were as you mentioned only suitable for thick polycarbonate, it was only when I found the Capex system that I found one suitable for the single 4mm panes that I intend to use.

Once I finish the orangery, I need to get back to the greenhouse......................
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby RogerS » 25 Apr 2019, 16:37

Andyp wrote:Impressive. I had no idea that yours and Roger’s lanterns were going to be capped like that. Clever stuff.

I can't speak for Jon but it was Mike G who put me onto these type of systems :eusa-clap: Basically you have a rubber gasket that sits on the rafter, then the glass goes on top of that. Then you may have a one or two part aluminium profile with another gasket that sits on top of the glass and screwed down into the rafter.

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Apr 2019, 17:16

So there is a reasonable tolerance on the glass sizes then. You can see why I asked the question about fitting the glass on your thread.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 25 Apr 2019, 17:43

Andyp wrote:So there is a reasonable tolerance on the glass sizes then. You can see why I asked the question about fitting the glass on your thread.

It depends on the system. As Jon said...Capex allows you to go down to single glazing.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP