It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:42

Self Build Orangery

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Self Build Orangery

Postby Norty Raskel » 16 Feb 2017, 01:12

Some of you may remember, but around this time last year, I posted a topic asking for advice on seeking an architect that would assist me in a self build extension. I had trouble finding someone locally, that a) wasn't going to just supply simple drawings to aid with a planning submission, or b) someone who wanted to project manage the build and deal directly with contractors etc. Looking back now I think the problem lay in my expectations of what I was going to receive in the way of drawings and also poor communication between the architect and me during the initial discussions.

When I started the topic on the Haven, I was hoping Mike would chime in as he had impressed me with his willingness to advise others with their workshop builds. Well Mike did pick up the batten and agreed to work with me on the project.

I originally wanted to build a green oak structure, primarily because I like them and also because I wanted to try my hand at working large chunks of green oak. My partner, Rebecca, wasn't keen, and Mike, unknowingly, sided with her. Oak was not only out of character with the house, but also of the architecture of the surrounding villages.

So first off here's what greeted Mike on his site visit

DSCN9463.JPG
(385.88 KiB)

DSCN9462.JPG
(301.5 KiB)

The outbuilding contains a large collection of bicycles, which I originally wanted rebuilt and incorporated into the design of the extension so that the only entrance to it would have been from inside the house to aid security and prevent potential theft. However, Mike convinced me it was better to start from a clean slate and to build a new bike shed elsewhere in the garden.

Given that clean slate, this is the design that Mike came up with, along with some internal changes to the original part of the house to make better us of the space.
6105%2020%20Elevs.JPG
(87.75 KiB)

The design allows it to be built under permitted development rights, making full use of the governments temporary relaxing of the rules relating to size, allowing me extend to 3.9m from the back of the house. However, anything extending beyond 3m up the temporary limit of 6m needs to go through a Neighbour Consultation scheme, whereby my neighbours are contacted by the local council and asked whether the proposed design will affect the amenity of their property. I have a good relationship with both neighbours so have already discussed the plans with them and they have already stated they will not object, I still have to wait for the process to run it's course though. I have also had to draw up some Party Wall agreements for constructing a wall adjacent to the boundary and for excavating within 3m of my neighbours footings (the tall wall behind the outbuilding is my neighbours kitchen/bathroom). These have been duly signed.

So whilst I wait for the neighbour consultation to complete, I've started to remove the render from the wall
CIMG1233.JPG
(272.61 KiB)

Next I'll be demolishing the old bike shed and the little firewood store, the porch is rotten and will collapse with very little persuasion, before I level the site and start marking out.

Jon
Last edited by Norty Raskel on 04 Sep 2017, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Name: Jon

Re: Self Build Orangery

Postby Commander » 16 Feb 2017, 08:19

Excellent Jon, it must be very exciting to be able to make a start at last!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby Mike G » 16 Feb 2017, 13:15

Oooh, I recognise that place!

Have you dealt with that little flat roof over the bathroom yet Jon?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 16 Feb 2017, 13:51

Hi Mike,
I have a builder lined up for the flat roof, he was supposed to do it last August but cancelled it due to a back injury (a genuine one). it's been rescheduled for May/June this year, once we're into the drier weather (supposedly).

Once I received the plans though, I realised the removal of the flat roof needn't hold up the orangery, although the removal of the chimney and internal wall will have to be done in conjunction with the flat roof work.

However..............

I'm now wondering whether I have the skills to do it myself, it would be rewarding, educational and save a shed load of money (£13k inc Vat was the quote). My biggest concern is removing the concrete and getting it water tight in an acceptable timescale, bearing in mind I'll be working by myself.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Norty Raskel » 16 Feb 2017, 14:07

Hi Erich,

Yes I can't wait, it's very tempting to start now, but I really need to wait until I get formal approval, which at it's quickest could be 21 days, or at the very latest 29th March.

When Mike emailed me the final detailed drawings, a big smile came over my face, the drawings made me realise just how achievable this could be where as previously it had been a step into the unknown.

I actually have a couple of big projects that need finishing off before I start the orangery so the little delay in waiting for approval will enable me to get those ticked off. :eusa-clap:

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Mike G » 16 Feb 2017, 14:51

With decent access and a bit of foresight I can't see why you couldn't tackle that, Jon. Bear in mind the devastation it will likely cause in the room below.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Feb 2017, 16:31

Oh that looks like fun. Looking forward to seeing it go up.

Just out of curiosity is there something in the design that makes it an Orangery rather than just an extension or posh conservatory?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 16 Feb 2017, 17:05

I think twitchers have an expression "Just is". :D

Conservatories tend to have an entirely glass roof. Orangeries have an appearance of having a flat roof with parapets or large heavily-moulded fascias, and usually a glazed lantern. In elevation, conservatories tend to have an all-glazed appearance, whereas orangeries appear to be walls heavily pierced by windows. You can have a stone built or brick built orangery, but not a conservatory (above the plinth). So it's a matter of style.....which also means there is going to be a certain amount of grey area where a building might fit into either category.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Feb 2017, 17:51

Thanks Mike, I would certainly rather have what has been drawn over the other options.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Norty Raskel » 17 Feb 2017, 10:08

Mike,

I'm not concerned with trashing the bathroom as we remove the roof, the bathroom floor is at a lower level than all the other floors upstairs because of the limited headroom due the concrete floor. This in turn means the ceiling in the utility room is lower than the current kitchen/dining room.

Once the supporting wall/chimney is removed this change in height will be very obvious so I'll be raising the floor of the bathroom to match all the other levels.

If I'm going to be tackling the roof as well, I may well rethink my order of attack. Certainly removing the chimney in it's entirety will allow me to insert the RSJ.

For the benefit of other readers here's what Mike has planned for the internal modifications.
6105%20Stoney_Stanton%20SK1A-3.JPG
(63.07 KiB)

There's a supporting wall and chimney currently dividing the kitchen/diner from the small utility room, there's also an outside toilet (also accessible from the utility room). The supporting wall and chimney will be removed and new internal walls constructed to provide a larger utility room and to bring the toilet fully into the house. The main entrance into the house from the rear (we rarely use the front door) will eventually be through what is currently the outside toilet which will lead us into the utility room. The doors in the orangery will be for occasional use, on nice days to lead out on the patio.

Jon
Last edited by Norty Raskel on 04 Sep 2017, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Feb 2017, 16:14

Wow, Jon! Really exciting. Looking forward to reading its progress.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Self Build Orangery -Outhouse demolition

Postby Norty Raskel » 03 Sep 2017, 21:14

Wow, I see the last post was February, how time flies.

Time for an update, I've finally made a start on the orangery this week having booked a weeks holiday expressly to kick this project off. It's been delayed by months by a large koi pond build which has not only ran over in terms of time but also ran over budget eating into the funds available for the orangery, so things might progress a little slower than Mike speed........

So first of all, I had to clear the site, there was an old outhouse, which you'll see later I suspect was the old wash house, and a wooden structure which I had been using to store wood for the wood burner but has been previously used as a coal store going by the colour of the soil it was built on. Both the outhouse and log store were in a very poor state, so would not take too much to flatten.

CIMG1265.JPG
1st pic
(413.31 KiB)

This was a crack right through one corner of the outhouse

fullsizeoutput_33.jpeg
crack
(189.88 KiB)

There were a lot of loose slates on the roof but I carefully removed the others as I'll be reusing some of them to patch the roof on the main house roof when it comes to removing the chimney breast.

CIMG1266.JPG
roof off
(486.77 KiB)

Most of the outhouse was built using lime mortar (as is the house) so most of the bricks have cleaned up nicely to either use elsewhere on the house where I need to match the existing imperial sized bricks, or eventually sell on once the house is finished.

CIMG1268.JPG
rubble
(361.98 KiB)

With everything cleared out of the way I was able to lay out some lines and for the first time get a proper idea of the size of the extension. The yellow paint mark on the wall indicating the position of the new back wall.

CIMG1269.JPG
yellow marker
(234.39 KiB)

Unfortunately the quality of brick work of the neighbours extension is very poor so we'll have to devise a way of hiding this from view.
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Self Build Orangery -The Well

Postby Norty Raskel » 03 Sep 2017, 21:56

Ok, next step was to take off the top of the "well" which sits right outside the back door. To call this a well is really stretching things a bit far, it's a concrete box in the ground which used to fill with rain water from one of the downpipes (this has long been diverted), but also nowadays fills with ground water due to the state of the concrete which is disintegrating in places. Excuse the poor first two photos, the camera developed a fault which I didn't notice early enough.

The "well" as viewed directly from my back door.
CIMG1287.JPG
Well Top
(509.94 KiB)

CIMG1288.JPG
Inside view
(282.77 KiB)

The roof of the well was made up of a mixture very poor concrete and brick, but boy was the arched roof strong, it took me maybe half a day on one of the hottest days of the year to smash through this with a sledgehammer. (I've since gone out and bought a demolition breaker which would have saved me a fair bit of work).
CIMG1299.JPG
Well roof
(511.87 KiB)

Now I said previously I thought the old outbuilding would have been the wash house and here's why, there was a cast iron pipe that ran from the well into the outbuilding which probably connected to a hand pump at the time, you can also see the tide mark which was no more than 300mm below floor level.
fullsizeoutput_35.jpeg
water pipe
(275.9 KiB)

I originally thought the well might cause me problems with the construction but Mike assured me not, just fill it with hardcore and cap it off with concrete having made allowances for the depth of the floor construction, so I filled it with abandon, feeling smug that I wasn't paying for skip to get rid of my waste
fullsizeoutput_37.jpeg
hardcore
(225.59 KiB)

That smug feeling didn't last long. I strung out my lines again to start marking out my footings only to see this
fullsizeoutput_3a.jpeg
Lines
(278.14 KiB)

That's right my footings run right through the back edge of the recently filled well. I started emptying it my hand which I soon realised was futile, so the next morning I got a digger in and an hour later had it emptied again.

IMG_0286.JPG
empty well
(425.38 KiB)

I had the building inspector out the next morning and he agreed I could shutter off a 450mm section (the width of the footing), lay some reinforcing mesh across the well reaching into the the footings either side and then fill the footings to the full depth of the well.

We had a way forward, but as you'll soon see this is not the end of the well.
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Rod » 03 Sep 2017, 22:36

Intriguing
Are you able to hide your neighbours awful wall?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Self Build Orangery - I hate wells

Postby Norty Raskel » 03 Sep 2017, 22:40

So having cleared the site, it was time to dig the footings, and here was my next cock-up.

My poured foundations will finish 550mm below the finished floor level, add to the this the 1metre footing and had a did depth of 1550mm, time to get started. So I dug a 300mm wide trench alongside the boundary with my neighbour.
fullsizeoutput_5c.jpeg
(184.01 KiB)

I had expected this trench to be the hardest as I expected to come across his concrete footings which I thought might make excavating difficult but no, the neighbours house is built straight onto clay with only a single course of bricks to form a foundation.

Anyway, this looked like a mighty big trench for a single storey extension, so I went back to read Mikes build thread, there were the three words I had failed to read previously, "below ground level", my footings should only be 1metre below the existing ground level. Oh well, I'll have to explain that cockup to the building inspector.

Next I wanted to move onto the trench for the back wall, but the more I looked at it, I couldn't see a way to manoeuvre the digger to give me access to dig the whole trench without having to dig a fairly large section by hand. I rang my digger friend that evening and he offered to pop round the next day to give me some advise. Mulling it over at night stopped me from getting much sleep, I had one solution, but I didn't like it.

Next day, Dick, my digger friend popped round and could see the predicament and eventually decided the only way forward was the same idea I had the night before. I'd need to fill the well in again so I could sit the digger over the top to enable me to dig a complete trench :eusa-doh: :( so I preceded to fill the well a second time, knowing full well that I would have the empty it (at least partially) again to enable me to get my shuttering in, this well was beginning to get to me.

Anyway, at the end of the day, the plan had worked and I had got a nice trench dug (at the right depth :oops: ) with slots cut out of the well walls.
fullsizeoutput_5b.jpeg
back wall
(241.76 KiB)

The trench is straight, the photo seems to make them look offset.

Maybe I had finally conquered the well :eusa-clap:

So this brings us to today, all I had to do was dig the final trench, access was no problem so should be done in a jiffy right? Wrong. Digging away for the house just under the surface I start pulling up bricks. I stopped to investigate and I've taken the side out of another "well" that I had no idea about. This was no fresh water well, it's full of the most horrendous black smelly sludge I've ever come across. The well was not built with mortar, it's simply a circle of bricks dry fitted together topped of with a slab of stone. I suspect it's a old cesspit/soakaway, a really nice thought as I was getting covered in the black sludge. I've gone down over a metre in the hope of finding solid ground but to no avail, there is one area which offers no resistance to a spade, it's just sinks into the runny sludge.
CIMG1311.JPG
(490.7 KiB)

CIMG1312.JPG
(487.31 KiB)

It's official - I hate wells.

I'll ring the building inspector in the morning, get him out to inspect and see what he wants me to do to overcome it.
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby DaveL » 04 Sep 2017, 00:09

A well like that is what we used for our water supply at the bungalow when I was a child. It was still in use when mum and dad were CPed out of it just before Christmas 1975. Dad had dug the original one when they bought the place in the early 50's and I helped with doing a second in the mid 60's when we built another bedroom on to the bungalow. There was a concrete filter box dad had made with sections that had big stones, small stones, sand and finally charcoal that the water past though before dropping into the well. One of my jobs was the pump water up into a metal jug and walk it round into the kitchen, filling the electric copper. In the late 60's dad set up a hot and cold tank and the pump had an electric motor attached but you had the watch the full light (switched by a float) and turn the motor off.
Seems odd now but we were so pleased when we got the taps on the sink and bath.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby MJ80 » 04 Sep 2017, 19:54

Ooo nasty. I had the same experience last summer getting the power and waste out to the barn. I ended up with a 50 meter long trench that went from 1.2 meters at the house end to about 1.7 at the barn. Right in the middle I went through one of the the old triple tank cesspit jobbies they have here. Nasty nasty nasty. I have discovered another one right where we plan to build our orangery which took off from the cow stalls. I dread to think what is down there.
Looking great so far, hope you have a sensible building inspector :)
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Sep 2017, 20:15

As I've said directly to Jon by email, these shouldn't be a big issue. There are two ways around it: firstly, reinforce the foundation such that it forms a bridge across the non-supporting ground, or, secondly, stop the foundation either side of the obstacle and span across with a series of pre-cast concrete lintels. We took the latter approach quite recently on another job of mine where we came across a beautiful brick built well, and didn't want to fill it in or destroy it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 Sep 2017, 21:52

Jon, I'm impressed with your digger skills.

Digging your founds so close to your neighbours wall...isn't there a risk of his wall settling/subsiding now ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Sep 2017, 21:59

Yep. That needs concrete in it ASAP.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 04 Sep 2017, 22:19

DaveL wrote:Seems odd now but we were so pleased when we got the taps on the sink and bath.

Dave,

Whilst digging the foundations I had a visit from Severn Trent, they were looking for the stop-cock for a neighbours house and needed to quiz me about my stop-cock and which properties it serviced. When the guy saw the big concrete hole in the ground he asked what I was doing so I described how the well stored rain water for use in the wash hot house. His young assistant showed up at this appoint with a totally confused look on his face. He had never considered that houses may not have had running water in the not too distant past.

Another more modern case in point, whilst digging the foundations I deliberately severed the drain from the kitchen sink and the dishwasher, I had warned my partner Rebecca that this would happen and that she should use the utility sink until further notice, that evening we asked the kids to wash and dry the plates up, the look on their faces, we almost had to instruct them on how to do it, they've always known dirty pots went in a washer and came out clean, whereas I grew with it being a daily chore to do my bit for the household.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Norty Raskel » 04 Sep 2017, 22:28

I'm also concerned about that boundary footing. Unfortunately I had to go back to work today and had to run a test for a demanding but totally disorganised customer, true to form his test ran over and so I got back just before 7pm.

I had just enough daylight left to clean out the corners of the foundation, which 1500mm down a 300mm wide trench was no easy feat, I couldn't get my shoulders down the trench so had to work sideways and lift out the soil with my bare hand. Serves me right for going so deep.

I need to get the building inspector to approve the depth of footings which I hope to arrange for the morning, but I suspect I'm looking at Wednesday at the earliest for the pour.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby Mike G » 04 Sep 2017, 22:42

If it shows any sign of collapsing, Jon, take a few photos (with a tape measure showing the depth), grab a bag or two of soil from various depths as samples, and chuck some concrete in the ground along that wall pronto, with or without inspection. The inspector will understand.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Norty Raskel » 04 Sep 2017, 22:51

Thanks Mike,

If I remember correctly that foundation was dug on Friday, there appears to be no movement so far, but it's a constant worry that I don't need. Also the bottom is filling with groundwater which is not helpful so the sooner it's filled the better all round.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Postby jules70 » 04 Sep 2017, 23:07

Brings back memories of doing the footings to my house. Dug and then poured all in one go. Started on a Monday and poured pretty much all day Wednesday. Absolutely tipped it down Wednesday night. The relief knowing the concrete was in !!! :D

I know if it was me the concrete would be going into that trench as soon as I could say ready mix ! Ive never had a problem with building inspectors and im sure a phone call to him will have him understanding and as Mike says just get some photos first.

Do a know a builder tho who poured his new bungalow footings before approval and was made to gun/dig them all out again !!
jules70
Seedling

Name:

Next

Return to Projects & WIP