It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:05

Treehouse Design Ideas

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Treehouse Design Ideas

Postby Dan0741 » 20 Feb 2017, 22:38

Guys Ive been tasked to build a tree house for the ankle biters. Not that I don't have enough to do already; but Im thinking that a basic tree house without all the bells and whistles shouldn't be too much of a chore.

Im thinking that it will effectively be a 4x6 shed on stilts with a bit of a veranda type affair and a set of steps.

I think im happy with the framing side of things mostly 4x2, and the basic construction etc but two elements are unclear in my mind and any guidance would be appreciated.

Firstly - the supports. It wont be supported by trees, albeit it will be amongst the trees they are not suitable to use as supports. So that leaves me with how to set the legs in/on the ground. I will be using pressure treated 2x6. So set them in concrete, or on top of set concrete? Or another method? A limited amount of research suggests both may cause swift rotting due to continual damp.

I was going to bolt two together to form the supports, with one cut at platform height to work as a sort of trimmer stud, with a sole plate running between the two supports. The longer one would continue to roof plate height to support the roof.

So this leaves me with how to join the two sides together.

Any pointers on how to construct the support framing very much appreciated.

Dan :D
Last edited by Dan0741 on 20 Feb 2017, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Re: Treehouse Design Ideas

Postby Tusses » 20 Feb 2017, 22:43

remember "officially" you need planning permission :o .. as it might affect neighbor privacy !

another one of those botched rules that didn't turn out as intended !
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 20 Feb 2017, 22:47

Yea, understood. If all goes to plan it shouldn't be visible to neighbors, and if drama ensues happy to take down, it probably wont get used for more than a couple of seasons!
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Tusses » 20 Feb 2017, 22:48

It's a really stupid rule .. just you need to be aware, in case your neighbors are grumpy :evil:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 20 Feb 2017, 22:57

Its funny, I had some grief with the neigbours over my shed, but they have come full circle now and love it. I even had the old boy helping me take the nails out of reclaimed cladding for the interior, a dirty orrible job. He has asked me tentatively if i had time to help him build a little shed in his garden! He wont see the tree house ;)
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby HappyHacker » 20 Feb 2017, 22:59

In my experience treated posts will last 10-20 years in the ground/concrete and tend to rot where they go into the ground. I would be tempted to use some sort of post mount on a concrete plinth. There is all sorts of metal work for decking supports.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Paul200 » 21 Feb 2017, 10:50

Paul200
Seedling

Name: Paul

Postby Mike G » 21 Feb 2017, 12:00

Obviously it will need a moat (with piranhas) and draw bridge. Entry by rope ladder, exit by trebuchet and catch-net.......goes without saying. For a bit of added fun, consider an Indiana Jones giant-rolling-ball with elephant traps and poison darts set-up. They tend to make those long dull Sunday afternoons go with a bit more a of a zing.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP