It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:14

Farm house window

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Farm house window

Postby Phil » 12 Mar 2017, 16:51

This was a project in 2000, and I came across the pics while tidying my folders on the laptop.

The study area was built after the house was completed, and the builder ‘created’ this window.
I was asked if I could maybe ‘tidy it up’!

The problem:-

Being a thatch construction, treated gum poles are used and therefore there is no flat surface let alone 90 degree corners.
The builder made 2 windows that could open, from some Saligna planks with nails holding it together. The glass was glued in with silicon.
The hinges screwed in with 2 screws and the brass fittings fitted with whatever came to hand.
The triangular piece on either side was some plywood nailed in with gaps.
On the outside the thatch stopped about 200mm from the bottom of the window, leaving a nice big gap for rain and cold to get in.
(no pics at this stage unfortunately)

The solution:

Make 2 new window frames, with new hinges and utilise the brass fittings.
Make 2 triangular windows to replace the plywood.

The work:
As the house was on a farm 200km from home, I could not move my workshop and equipment.
That meant spending a couple of hours measuring and making templates and ensuring I had enough data to do the work and cutting timber.

Having a lot of Meranti, new and reclaimed, meant that the raw material cost would be minimal.

Not wanting to spend hours routing and wasting timber, the frame for where the opening windows would be fitted was cut, glued and screwed. I used polyurethane glue for external use.
The lengths were all cut oversize with final trimming on site by hand.

A similar exercise for the triangular frames except for the glass gap being on the inside.

The frames for the 2 opening windows were also machined oversize and joined by bridal joints. They would also get final trimming on site and the glass fitted.

Installation:

The owners were away for 4 weeks overseas and we looked after the farm for them, making it a lot easier for me to work.

I set up a temporary workshop in the study and started dismantling the builders mess.

Next was fitting the frames for the 2 opening windows. Bearing in mind that nothing is straight, level or 90 degrees.
This took 4 days, I would first cycle 50km in the morning, then its breakfast, feed the animals, work, tea time, work, lunch time & beer, snooze, work, beer time and dinner.

The frames were screwed in and levelled off with filler pieces. Gaps between the frame and the gum poles would get foam squirted in later on.
With these frames in I could do a temporary fit of the opening windows, a bit of trimming, plane, swearing and sanding they looked very good ready for the glass.

Next the triangular frames.
No need to worry about 90 degrees as the glass will be cut to fit. These went in a lot faster.

Somewhere in between this work I also managed to mow the lawns and irrigate the garden.

For the triangular glass I made a cardboard template to fit and then trimmed off 5mm for expansion. Very carefully labelled the cardboard L and R and stood by while the glass was cut.
The nearest town is 40Km away, so you make sure everything you do is 100% correct and you have a shopping list of what is required.

Fitting the glass in the triangulars and the opening windows was a breeze.
A thin silicone line, press the glass in and then panel pin some 8mm quadrant around the edges.

However, before fitting the glass I addressed the issue of the large gap on the outside.
I bought some zinc flashing and cut it so that I had a 100mm overlap onto the thatch and a 50mm fold up onto the bottom of the frame.
The 50mm section got a nice thick line of silicon and was then screwed onto the frame on the outside.
This nicely closed up the big gap, and weather proofed at the same time.

Next on the list was filling all the gaps with spray foam.
Nowhere on the can does it state that this product was developed in hell by the devil and is hells revenge on DIY’ers.
It goes everywhere, sticks to everything and don’t even bother to try washing your clothes, they are not even good enough for rags!
This required a few beers and a long walk to calm down otherwise there would have been major destruction.

Next day all nice calm, first went for a 120Km ride, pick up the Stanley knife and carefully start trimming away that hell-stuff.
Dry it also goes everywhere, more cleaning up and the poor Electrolux is struggling.

The next step is to cover the foamed-gaps with half-rounds. Not looking too shabby at that point, now ready for the first coat of sealer.
The sealer is Wooddoc 50, Marine Exterior.
The outside gets 4 coats with sanding in between and the inside 3 coats. Just remember to stay away from where the glass is going.

Now back to fitting the glass and then the final sealer.

All completed and cleaned up a week before the owners returned. They were pleased and impressed by the windows and I was chuffed to bits.

Some pictures that I took. Apologies for poor quality.

Triangular on the right hand side

An inside view

Another inside view

Completed view from outside

Thank you for reading

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Farm house window

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Mar 2017, 17:26

Spectacular!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 13 Mar 2017, 07:46

Looks like it was a real challenge. Solution looks excellent.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 13 Mar 2017, 09:54

Nice work
Is the thatch exposed to the room i.e. no membrane or whatever?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 14 Mar 2017, 11:47

Thanks for the comments.

Rod wrote:Nice work
Is the thatch exposed to the room i.e. no membrane or whatever?

Rod

Rod, our thatched rooves don't have membrane, the thatch is exposed on the inside.
What you see on the inside are the treated gum poles and treated 'latte' (brandering). It looks very good.

It is used extensively in the bush areas houses and game lodges. Very cool in summer but cold in winter as you are looking at double volume with nothing to keep the heat in.

Mike will be able to provide more information on building and thermal specs.

I don't suppose they are any different to the thatched houses in the UK.

Here is a link to the KMI airport which I think is still the largest building under thatch. 7000m2 plus.

http://streetview.360imagefilm.com/tour ... yxPFHzMgLx
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Projects & WIP