It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:20

Raised veg/salad planter

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Raised veg/salad planter

Postby woodstalker » 06 Apr 2017, 20:50

So i decided i should make Mrs Woodstalker a little gift for the new garden and i know she is a fan of but has never had a raised planter for things like lettuces and the like.

A quick bit of research online threw up a number of designs and i saw someone on a certain green tool forum had reverse engineered a pricey design of veg planter. Looking at what he did i figured i could have a go so off to buy some timber i went.

I only had a few of the measurements from the picture of the pricey shop bought item so i guessed the rest.

Had a slight issue in that i had to cut a lot of the wood up at the builders merchants to squeeze it into the car and i thought i had done a reasonable job but a few of my timbers were a little short, only by a few mm however since this is a planter its not the end of the world and i managed to hide most of it with some trim!

So built the frame first; from this:

to this:

I found the frame quite unstable, i expect as the rest of the planter bit is added it would have stiffened it up a bit but i have seen a few in the past where the weight of the soil etc has made them lean as the legs try to fall sideways. So i added in an extra beam running the length of the planter tied into two more cross pieces on the leg at either end then the diagonal braces just for good measure.

I then added all the thinner bits to make the planter top:

Theres a liner supposed to go in before the soil so the top trim come off and pins the liner in place and hides the edges once its put back on.

Not exactly chippendale but i'm quite pleased with the result and Mrs Woodstalker has bestowed many brownie points on me this afternoon :obscene-drinkingcheers:
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Raised veg/salad planter

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Apr 2017, 21:26

Never underestimate the value of brownie points. Well done!! :eusa-clap:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Apr 2017, 22:54

Looks like a top job, well done.

:text-bravo:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 07 Apr 2017, 06:18

Interesting idea.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Commander » 07 Apr 2017, 06:27

I like it a lot! Great idea and execution!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Postby woodstalker » 13 Apr 2017, 21:07

Given it a coat of shed stain to protect it and put a liner in.

Now for some salad, apparently Mrs Woodstalker intends to plant parsnips in a row down the middle too!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 17 Jun 2017, 09:53

WS - what are the measurement roughly and what type of liner did you use?

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby woodstalker » 30 Jun 2017, 15:39

Phil wrote:WS - what are the measurement roughly and what type of liner did you use?

Phil

Hi Phil,

sorry for the long time to reply i searched online to try and get the dimensions for a factory veg drug and found this picture:

which was on the Festool Owners Group forum, the thread was from a guy trying to do exactly what i wanted to do so i used his as a guide then also added in the bracing under the legs to stiffen it all up.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/member-projects/veg-trug-type-planter-for-my-wife/

Hope that helps!

Woodstalker
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 08 Jul 2017, 09:40

Hi WS, thanks very much for the pic and link.

I will let the garden-master decide if she still wants one.

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby woodstalker » 08 Jul 2017, 13:13

Phil wrote:Hi WS, thanks very much for the pic and link.

Phil

Sorry forgot to say I just used an old weed membrane we had spare as the liner and tacked it in round the top before putting on the top trim pieces.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 08 Jul 2017, 14:25

are there any concerns with growing food along side treated timber ?

I'm thinking of making something similar .. to slow the snails down ! they seem to be able to trash a whole salad bed overnight :evil:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 08 Jul 2017, 14:35

woodstalker wrote:
Phil wrote:Hi WS, thanks very much for the pic and link.

Phil

Sorry forgot to say I just used an old weed membrane we had spare as the liner and tacked it in round the top before putting on the top trim pieces.

Thanks I will add that to the materials list.

If she decides she wants one, I am not quite sure where she is going to site it! :lol:

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 08 Jul 2017, 14:43

Tusses wrote:are there any concerns with growing food along side treated timber ?

I'm thinking of making something similar .. to slow the snails down ! they seem to be able to trash a whole salad bed overnight :evil:

Buy yourself some very cheap pipe tobacco or try get hold of tobacco dust, spread that around the plants - end of snail.

If you have aphids in the plants/shrubs, buy very cheap pipe tobacco, I take a good pinch of tobacco, stick it into a plastic container, pour boiling water over and leave it 24 hours stirring occasionaly.
Then filter the mixture to get clean liquid for the spray bottle. Spray on plants, leave for a day and wash off. Repeat until aphids have gone. Works for other bugs as well (mealybugs).

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 08 Jul 2017, 15:03

Phil wrote:
Tusses wrote:are there any concerns with growing food along side treated timber ?

Buy yourself some very cheap pipe tobacco or try get hold of tobacco dust, spread that around the plants - end of snail.

If you have aphids in the plants/shrubs, buy very cheap pipe tobacco, I take a good pinch of tobacco, stick it into a plastic container, pour boiling water over and leave it 24 hours stirring occasionaly.
Then filter the mixture to get clean liquid for the spray bottle. Spray on plants, leave for a day and wash off. Repeat until aphids have gone. Works for other bugs as well (mealybugs).

hmmm ... when I was at school we had to read alice in wonderland .. some chap was smoking something sat on a mushroom if I recal ? ! :lol:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 09 Jul 2017, 12:40

Tusses wrote:
Phil wrote:

hmmm ... when I was at school we had to read alice in wonderland .. some chap was smoking something sat on a mushroom if I recal ? ! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Gill » 12 Jul 2017, 01:11

This is an impressive project. I was looking at something similar in a gardening catalogue and nearly fell out of my bath chair when I saw the price! How much cheaper is it to make your own?
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Phil » 16 Jul 2017, 10:11

This one was in the local garden mag and then I also found it on their website http://www.thegardener.co.za.

There is a plastic box inside of 550 x 400 x 180mm which then does away with liners.

The idea is ok, but It is not that big.

The legs are screwed in from the inside, which might prove a bit flimsy? :?

Phil

PS foto hosted at PB

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 18 Jul 2017, 07:28

Phil wrote:
PS foto hosted at PB

Sorry people, but PB has now caught up with me ......... :(

Phil
Old Oak

Return to Projects & WIP