It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:09

Monk's Bench (or Settle) FINISHED

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Monk's Bench (or Settle) FINISHED

Postby Pinch » 28 Apr 2017, 20:15

Hello Chaps,

I’ve recently taken on a very nice commission to make a Monk’s Bench (or Settle) in oak and walnut.

Working with my client’s brief including dimensions, outline and some design features, I prepared a few drawings with various design options to consider, including a slightly quirky design – I always include a quirky little number when preparing design options. 8-)

There are still a couple of finer details to clarify including the inscription and profile detail to the panelled back, but the decision has been set on the 4th design (Dwg 05) – below.

This bench is slightly smaller than the average settle you might see in a stately home, chapel or old inn because it’s been designed for my client’s children to comfortably use. As the years go by, the grandchildren will then take great pride in using it, and so on through future generations. One thing that excites me about projects like this bench is 'the knowing' that this piece will be a future heirloom to the family who have commissioned me to make it for them.

I don’t know if any of you guys are similar to me, but whenever I see an old piece of furniture in a grand old stately house or small rural cottage, I instantly connect with it. Whether it was designed and made by a ‘great’ or just a maker of the time, my mind takes me on a trip back to when the piece was made. I imagine the time, the maker, his mind, the workshop, the tools, even the smell. I imagine the different owners who have lovingly taken care of the piece and the joy it may have brought them - what they were wearing, how they lived, Christmas time etc... The piece will speak to me. It will tell me if its designer and maker were (was) happy in their (his) work and life.

All work from maybe centuries before will speak out and if you listen carefully enough, you will hear. If I’m making something which I know is going to be around for many years, generations, it’s this (call it as you wish – romanticism, over active imagination, whatever...) which partly gives me a sense of warmth knowing the piece will be used, cherished and admired for generations to come, and even, possibly, someone like me might touch it in 2217 (if we still have a world) and their imagination might give them similar to what I’m writing now. What a lovely thought.

“Pinch, what are you going on about?” I hear you say. :lol:

Right, moving on...

The first design (Dwg 01) is visually traditional to the medieval furniture of the time, using boards stapled together with a prominent chamfer detail to the joining, creating a ‘v’ joint. There is also a trefoil detail to the winged sides and a circular plaque located in the back.

The second design (Dwg 02) also has a traditional appearance of panelling to form the back, with winged sides excluding the ‘v’ detail. Here, I’ve located the plaque on top of the back’s top rail, with a flared central muntin, giving the impression of an angel looking over the sitters on the bench. There’s also an ‘Option B’ for this detail in the drawing, showing the plaque more integral to the panelling. A couple of options for the walnut armrests including rounded or scrolled details are also shown. I’ve also included profiled base rails which will protect the end grains of the sides and finish off the lower outline detail.

The third design (Dwg 03) is the quirky one; showing geometric Gothic styled panelling to the back with a sweeping cross ‘X’ intercepting a three tiered plaque arrangement. The heavily scrolled armrests continue the theme, which follow the outline of the winged sides.

The fourth design (Dwg 05 - Dwg 04 is jointing detail) is the favourite - my favourite too. It isn’t visually too busy and is much more pleasing on the eye. The overall appearance expresses its purpose and the rich colours of the oak and walnut will help bring the design into life and create an ambience of warmth for onlookers to enjoy.

There’s no man-made board in this project – it’s all solid European Oak and American Black Walnut. The sliding doors below the seat will also operate traditionally, with no modern sliding gear. The finish is going to be clear satin varnish which will contrast the oak with the walnut superbly and give good protection to the timber.

I also have a little bit of burr oak in the shop which could add an attractive and subtle feature to the bench. I have a couple of ideas in mind and will put this to my clients to see what they say.

I hope to start this project in a few weeks and will write up a full report of the making with lots of photos.

I’m looking forward to this one.

Report back soon.
Cheers,
8-)

Beer night tonight.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Last edited by Pinch on 03 Aug 2017, 20:22, edited 7 times in total.
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Monk's Bench (or Settle)

Postby Malc2098 » 28 Apr 2017, 20:35

Paul,

I totally relate to your approach.

My mother, between the wars, was a seamstress working in an East End Jewish dressmakers, making highly ornate dresses for the gentry at that time.

My sisters and I were brought up after WW2 during some of the most austere times this country had seen, and so most of our clothes were hand made, altered and mended. My sisters learned their sewing skills from our mum, and when I first started out as a young Policeman all those years ago, I was one of the few at the training school who knew how to sew a button back on a shirt.

Anyway, what I'm leading to is that my sisters operate a cottage industry at craft fairs and similar events of hand quilting and other fine needlework, under the name of Material Values, offering 'commissioned heirlooms', their choice of marketing words.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2017, 21:56

Hi Paul.

I've made a couple of settles. Can I give you a little tip?

If you can slope the back by even 5 degrees from vertical, you'll transform the comfort level. You can even hide this behind the side pieces if you want to retain the more traditional look, but honestly, it was the best thing I did on both mine. I'll dig out some photos if I can.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 28 Apr 2017, 23:24

How about some Linenfold panels?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 29 Apr 2017, 08:40

Malc2098 wrote:Paul,

I totally relate to your approach.

My mother, between the wars, was a seamstress working in an East End Jewish dressmakers, making highly ornate dresses for the gentry at that time.

My sisters and I were brought up after WW2 during some of the most austere times this country had seen, and so most of our clothes were hand made, altered and mended. My sisters learned their sewing skills from our mum, and when I first started out as a young Policeman all those years ago, I was one of the few at the training school who knew how to sew a button back on a shirt.

Anyway, what I'm leading to is that my sisters operate a cottage industry at craft fairs and similar events of hand quilting and other fine needlework, under the name of Material Values, offering 'commissioned heirlooms', their choice of marketing words.

Nice story Malc and thanks for sharing. Are you from a Jewish background?

I think its so important and very lovely we as a nation can keep hold of our old traditional crafts without them becoming a thing of yesterday. But not only that, it brings people pleasure in life. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 29 Apr 2017, 08:48

Mike G wrote:Hi Paul.

I've made a couple of settles. Can I give you a little tip?

If you can slope the back by even 5 degrees from vertical, you'll transform the comfort level. You can even hide this behind the side pieces if you want to retain the more traditional look, but honestly, it was the best thing I did on both mine. I'll dig out some photos if I can.

Thanks for the tip Mike. I have thought about sloping the back a tiny bit but to be honest with you, as I've previously experienced, I didn't feel it would make much difference, so I didn't put the suggestion forward to my clients. Also and especially as this bench is mainly going to be used as a seat for putting on and taking off shoes & boots, which is where the storage below the seat comes in.

I look forward to seeing your photos. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 29 Apr 2017, 08:50

Rod wrote:How about some Linenfold panels?

Rod

Cheers Rod. Yes, indeed, these would be very cool to carve, but quite expensive too. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 29 Apr 2017, 08:52

As always I will look forward to seeing this come together especially how you make the rear panelling. I am sure both the wip and the finished article will be worth seeing.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 29 Apr 2017, 09:08

Andyp wrote:As always I will look forward to seeing this come together especially how you make the rear panelling. I am sure both the wip and the finished article will be worth seeing.

Cheers Andy. Yes, I'm looking forward to starting the detailed wip. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Apr 2017, 09:37

Looks a gud'n. I'm inclined to go with No.4 as well - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Apr 2017, 10:20

Nice story Malc and thanks for sharing. Are you from a Jewish background?

No, Paul. I can only go back a few generations in genealogy, and they're all from South London, just opposite the Houses of Parliament. So, I think I've got Cockney heritage!

Strewth, Merry Pawpins, and no mistake! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Pinch » 30 Apr 2017, 09:04

Woodbloke wrote:Looks a gud'n. I'm inclined to go with No.4 as well - Rob

Cheers Rob. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 30 Apr 2017, 09:13

Malc2098 wrote:Nice story Malc and thanks for sharing. Are you from a Jewish background?

No, Paul. I can only go back a few generations in genealogy, and they're all from South London, just opposite the Houses of Parliament. So, I think I've got Cockney heritage!

Strewth, Merry Pawpins, and no mistake! :D

"Leave it aat my son!"

"Nice cuppa rosie with the ruby into the jam jar dan the road pull aat a monkey and get the barnet sorted...!"

:lol: :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Apr 2017, 10:11

Gissa butchers!

Translation, please, Paul!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Pinch » 30 Apr 2017, 16:50

You can tell me if I've got it right...

Translated; "Nice cup of tea with the curry, then a drive in the car to the bank to withdraw £500 and then off for a haircut." :P
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Apr 2017, 18:26

Not that one!!!

Translate - Gissa Butchers!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 30 Apr 2017, 19:09

Give us a look

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 30 Apr 2017, 20:17

Another nice little job there Paul !

Yes, I look at old furniture and relate to the maker. For a while I bought/restored and resold antiques .. and always thought about how they were made, taking in any remaining tool marks etc.

One thing I've just noticed on this one .. not isometric view ? .. now I'm wondering about all your other drawings ! lol .. I'm usually so impressed with them, that I hadn't noticed before ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Apr 2017, 20:37

Rod wrote:Give us a look

Rod

Spot on, Rod, but I was waiting for Paul to come up with it!

For those un aware of rhyming slang, Butcher's Hook = Look. I used that all the time in the 50s and 60s!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Pinch » 01 May 2017, 09:56

Tusses wrote:Another nice little job there Paul !

Yes, I look at old furniture and relate to the maker. For a while I bought/restored and resold antiques .. and always thought about how they were made, taking in any remaining tool marks etc.

One thing I've just noticed on this one .. not isometric view ? .. now I'm wondering about all your other drawings ! lol .. I'm usually so impressed with them, that I hadn't noticed before ?

Cheers Rich. I've thought about dabbling in a bit of antique/restoration work in the past. I like antiques, they have stories and energy - lovely. 8-)

I'm not sure I understand your next bit chap... Most of my drawings are orthographic projection as above, with the occasional isometric projection when required. What is it you hadn't noticed matey? :P
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 01 May 2017, 10:03

Malc2098 wrote:
Rod wrote:Give us a look

Rod

Spot on, Rod, but I was waiting for Paul to come up with it!

For those un aware of rhyming slang, Butcher's Hook = Look. I used that all the time in the 50s and 60s!

I new that! I would have said exactly the same as Rod. :D

I misunderstood what you wanted translating you see. :eusa-doh:

I forget the origin of Cockney slang. Wasn't it a secret language used between the locals of the time?

PS: Sorry, yes, just remembered... 'slang' is slang for secret language :eusa-doh:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 01 May 2017, 10:30

Cockney - have to be born within earshot of the bells at St Mary-le-Bow (Bow Bells).

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 01 May 2017, 12:01

Pinch wrote: What is it you hadn't noticed matey? :P

the 3D view .. without going back through your projects, I can't remember if you do them or not ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 May 2017, 17:21

Malc2098 wrote:Translate - Gissa Butchers!

Butchers Hook = Look.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 May 2017, 17:22

Nice Pinch. Number 2 opt A, or Number 4 for me.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Next

Return to Projects & WIP