It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:37

Dressing Table

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Dressing Table

Postby Pinch » 16 May 2017, 19:54

Hello Chaps,

Although I haven't yet won this job, I thought I'd start a thread in the early design stages.

The brief is solid oak throughout, contemporary, elegant lines, dovetailed drawers and somewhere for the lady to put her boots, although the chap isn't convinced and would rather his wife put them somewhere else. :lol:

I've suggested a bit of ebony string inlay and possibly a couple of concealed compartments and maybe something a bit quirky - all of which appeals to them. 8-)

So, I have been busy on the drawing board today preparing a few designs and this is where I am with them so far... A stool will be included which I haven't yet drawn.

Design 01 is contemporary with a hint of classical and as I liked Rob's (Woodbloke) recent chest of drawers project very much (the JM inspiration), I thought I'd add a similar twist to the pedestal drawers.

This one is almost my favourite - Design 02. I've been in the client's bedroom to measure the area where this table is going and this design would work so well - it's a gooden!

Design 03 is more modern than contemporary with overlay drawers and ummmm... other stuff. Not one of my favourites, but who knows, it might be my client's favourite.

Design 04 is my favourite and is also the quirky one. No surprises there.
This piece will sort out the boot cupboard, concealed compartments and quirky features in one throw; consisting of two cylindrical pedestals - one fixed and one revolving. Both will have oak doors with ebony string inlay. The fixed will have pull out drawer trays and the revolving pedestal will be a boot cupboard, with pull out drawer trays round the other side which can be accessed by spinning the pedestal - nice.

I'll email this lot to my clients and hopefully wait for positive feedback and if all is cool, I'll work out some prices.

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Dressing Table

Postby Mike G » 16 May 2017, 20:03

Those are 3 radically different designs. If I were you, (and I'm not, so feel free to ignore me entirely :) ) I wouldn't present them by email. I'd be there in person to see the reactions, do a little sketching and adjusting, and give some guidance.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 May 2017, 20:10

I can't find the Cadman's dressing table. It was one of my favourite pieces of furniture ever. It was in the same series as this.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 16 May 2017, 20:32

Cheers Mike, good tip matey. 8-)

The husband works abroad and the lady asked me to email the designs to him, which she'll access as well. I haven't met him yet. I often include an invitation to the workshop to discuss/amend any details when emailing - some do and some don't. But yes indeed, that can be a good selling tip as well. The lady has already been to the shop and I've visited her at the house, but she's already asked me if she can bring her husband to the shop because he'll love it. 8-)

I love the 'Gene Kelly II' and quirky personality - right up my street that. I'll have a search for the dressing table myself - I might find it. Thanks for posting. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 16 May 2017, 21:16

Clever stuff as always Paul and radically different to the monk's bench. Variety or what?

How on earth will you fix the top on 02 so that a casual lean on either side will not make it come apart.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 May 2017, 00:07

Love your design process Paul and thanks as ever for sharing it with us.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 17 May 2017, 10:29

I must be old fashioned as I like No 1

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 17 May 2017, 19:40

Andyp wrote:Clever stuff as always Paul and radically different to the monk's bench. Variety or what?

How on earth will you fix the top on 02 so that a casual lean on either side will not make it come apart.

Cheers Andy. Indeed, one element I've always very much enjoyed about the woody craft is variety. I find the Monk's Bench has a special presence about it... even though it will be brand new, it feels like it has history which is the superb design from centuries ago. Mrs P and me are out for lunch tomorrow and then visiting a Tudor stately home which is filled with medieval furniture - can't wait. 8-)

Design 02 will have a central rib discreetly fitted to the underside of the table/drawers and over the pedestal, which will only really be visible form a distance or looking under the table. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 17 May 2017, 19:41

TrimTheKing wrote:Love your design process Paul and thanks as ever for sharing it with us.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers Mark. Tis a pleasure as always. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 17 May 2017, 19:44

Rod wrote:I must be old fashioned as I like No 1

Rod

Cheers Rod. I like #1 too, but my two favourites are #2 & 4. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 17 May 2017, 19:56

I've emailed the client tonight so fingers crossed they like at least one of the designs or perhaps bits of one or the other to merge as one.

I prepared some stool elevations this morning as well. Hmmm, that doesn't quite read right, but you know what I mean. :P

Elevation 02 is bit 'Gene Kelly'ish' (thanks Mike), but perhaps more 'Norman Wisdom'. It was a last minute thought after erasing what was in its place and I scribbled it quickly with the aid of one of my French curve sets. I do like the style. 8-)

I'll report back with any feedback I receive from the clients.

Cheers,
8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 17 May 2017, 20:12

Pinch wrote:......Mrs P and me are out for lunch tomorrow and then visiting a Tudor stately home which is filled with medieval furniture - can't wait. 8-)

That is something really lacking here. Organisations such as The National Trust and English Heritage cannot be found here to the same scale and many of what we would call stately homes (chateaux) are totally devoid of furniture.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Jimmy Mack » 17 May 2017, 23:29

Ooo ... I like a dressing table.

Cracking designs fella, my favourite is number 2 it's got a Quick Draw Mcgraw vibe.

I had to put a secret drawer in one... Mrs Customer said " it needs to be X by Y cm and ...erm... secret... we'll leave it there shall we"

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 May 2017, 10:36

Jimmy Mack wrote:..." it needs to be X by Y cm and ...erm... secret... we'll leave it there shall we"

I'm guessing it was longer than it was wide...?

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Pinch » 11 Jul 2017, 20:21

I thought I'd come in to this thread to say I was eventually asked to price up design 02 and my price exceeded their budget somewhat. It would be interesting to know what any of you chaps would have priced this at, but... the image has gone and I can't post yet. :lol:

I'll be back....
Pinch
Old Oak

Return to Projects & WIP