It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:43

Pair of Bedside Tables

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Pair of Bedside Tables

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Jul 2017, 20:42

Not fancy here as regards design, but fairly straightforward and robust. A pair of recently completed bedside tables in oak.

Construction is thick 2.5mm bandsawn veneers over a 12mm ply substrate, with lipping showing at the corners along the top and bottom. Carcases were biscuited together, with the finish being several thin coats of Satin Osmo-PolyX followed by a good slathering of Swedish beeswax from CHT.

The backs are oak panels set inside a frame, rebated into the main carcases.

Drawers are conventional 8mm thick quarter sawn sides, oak bottoms. Each drawer runs on a centre rail of hard rock maple and the drawer fronts are made from 12mm stuff screwed in place.

Drawer pulls are made from 2000yo Bog Oak, carved and shaped, m/t'd into the fronts.

The frames are domino'd together with internal shaping between the rails...difficult to do as the gap is only around 50mm or a bit less. Each cabinet sits 10mm above the stand on a sculpted, inset rail - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Pair of Bedside Tables

Postby Robert » 16 Jul 2017, 22:35

Amazing quality as always. They look great.

I've never used or even had a look at Bog Oak. I'm guessing it is super tough as those elegant handles look fragile if it isn't.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jul 2017, 08:13

Robert wrote:Bog Oak. I'm guessing it is super tough

Thanks Robert...and then some :shock: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jul 2017, 08:46

As always, beautiful work, beautiful finish, but not keen on the design at all.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Jul 2017, 08:50

Lovely job.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jul 2017, 10:07

Lovely craftsmanship as always Rob.

Are you going to be a bit more prevalent on here with WIP's now you're not so involved with Ax...?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 17 Jul 2017, 11:11

TrimTheKing wrote:............Are you going to be a bit more prevalent on here with WIP's now you're not so involved with Ax...?

Oooh, I hadn't noticed. What's the story there, Rob?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jul 2017, 11:42

Mike G wrote:Oooh, I hadn't noticed. What's the story there, Rob?

Mark and Bob9f are aware of my changed circumstances, so it's worth regailing the tale of what happened. Around mid-May or so, I was called in to see Hayley Styles (Marketing Content Director) and Jane Boulton (HE Director) who in a very pleasant manner explained that my part-time post as a Content Writer was no longer needed. The Marketing Dept. was in the process of a re-structuring exercise partly due to the effects of Brexit, so I was offered Enhanced Voluntary Redundancy, effective the same day with a formal end of contract on 31st May.

To be absolutely fair to the company they did offer me instead a full time post as a Content Marketeer (the guys that send out the emails to your Inbox) but that would have meant commuting from Salisbury five days a week, getting up at 0600hrs each day, returning home at 1845hrs and four hours or so on a train every day :cry: :cry:

I mentioned to Mark on FB that had I taken the job, I'd probably be pushing up the daisies somewhere by Christmas, so I turned it down, which is what Hayley expected me to say.

Everything was done very amicably, with no hard feelings on either side. I was probably going to go anyway in the Autumn as I didn't really fancy another winter of getting up a 6am and cycling down to the station in rain, hale, ice or snow :(

Whilst not really a 'cloud' there are a couple of silver linings, firstly that I still have 10% discount :eusa-dance: and that at some point in the future they want to retain my 'services' as free-lance writer/maker... so it's not all bad. Apart from that, SWIMBO also retired from the MoD on 31st May which leaves us free to plan some more travels, one of which is to visit Japan again for a month in November.

TrimTheKing wrote:............Are you going to be a bit more prevalent on here with WIP's now you're not so involved with Ax...?

Yep, could do. I've just started a modern interpretation of Wegner's famous 'Wishbone Desk' from the mid 20cent, which I'm doing in Brown Oak. I think/hope/pray :eusa-pray: :eusa-pray: that it's going to turn out to be a stunner...certainly the timber is pretty spectacular - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 17 Jul 2017, 21:27

Liking the finger pulls Rob. Nice stuff

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 18 Jul 2017, 07:21

Those look very smart Rob. :eusa-clap:

Do you have a headboard that matches, or are you going to make one?

I saw your profile footer changed one day, did not ask as it could be too personal a question.

You must travel while you are still young enough to handle the baggage, airports and trains. 8-)

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 23 Jul 2017, 12:06

Hi Bob, just caught up with this. Excellent work as always on the tables.

ICBA with facebook so a bit slow on the news with Axi. I have followed and enjoyed reading your stuff on the workshop blog there so will miss that. Great news that you and Alison can enjoy some time off together. You know the door will always be always be open here.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Jul 2017, 19:27

Andyp wrote: You know the door will always be always be open here.

Thanks Andy, appreciated. On our 'to do' list later on is a camping visit to the WW1 battlefields so we'll certainly call in for a brew and a slab of something tasty :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 27 Jul 2017, 08:21

Beautiful work as ever Rob! Love the drawer pulls. 8-)

Which WW1 battlefields are you planning on visiting?
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Jul 2017, 09:24

Pinch wrote:

Dunno, 'er indoors hasn't done the planning yet, and we need to change the motor later on as well to get in all our camping gear. A visit to the WW1 battlefields has been on our busy list for a while as we had a look at the Overlord invasion beaches and coast a few years ago, which is when we popped into see AndyP - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Jul 2017, 22:27

We are quite a way from the Somme battlefields but if you hop on the Portsmouth ferry we are only 15 mins from the Port Of Caen at Ouistreham. Can't promise you decent bacon but the eggs will be fresh and free range ;)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 28 Jul 2017, 20:46

Woodbloke wrote:
Pinch wrote:

Dunno, 'er indoors hasn't done the planning yet, and we need to change the motor later on as well to get in all our camping gear. A visit to the WW1 battlefields has been on our busy list for a while as we had a look at the Overlord invasion beaches and coast a few years ago, which is when we popped into see AndyP - Rob

We were planning on going back next year, but it's going to be 2019 now as Mrs P and her daughter are arranging a family holiday in Granada next year. I wasn't going to go (hate flying and hot weather), but the brother-in-law and me are now going to drive to Spain in the Jag. It will probably take us 2 days there and 2 days back, leaving just 2/3 days in the villa - suits me Sir! The only potential problem could be... Paul (my BIL) likes his Bertie Bassets a bit too much, and when him and me get together, it's normally full blooded boozing. :|
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 28 Jul 2017, 21:30

Pinch wrote:Paul (my BIL) likes his Bertie Bassets a bit too much, and when him and me get together, it's normally full blooded boozing. :|

Struggling with this Paul. I can get it from the context but why?

A bertie in rhyming slang is a male homosexual and even though the original cockney slang is mutating I can't think of a link between "bassets" and any type of drink.
I know a sherbet is strictly a "sip" rather than its modern corruption of being an alcoholic drink.

Am I being thick?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 28 Jul 2017, 22:13

Bertie Bassett is the emblem of Basset's Liquorice Allsorts....closest I can get.

Paul..you don't like heat or flying ? :o Have you been to see your GP ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 28 Jul 2017, 23:35

9fingers wrote:
Pinch wrote:Paul (my BIL) likes his Bertie Bassets a bit too much, and when him and me get together, it's normally full blooded boozing. :|

A bertie in rhyming slang is a male homosexual and even though the original cockney slang is mutating I can't think of a link between "bassets" and any type of drink.
I know a sherbet is strictly a "sip" rather than its modern corruption of being an alcoholic drink.

Am I being thick?

Bob

Sorry Bob, I've always known a Bertie Basset to be an alcoholic drink, derived from the sherbets in Liquorice Allsorts sweets. My brother-in-law and me always have long drawn out debates about world affairs when we get together, driven by alcohol. I wasn't aware a bertie is a homosexual or a sherbet a sip. It's good to learn stuff. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 28 Jul 2017, 23:41

RogerS wrote:Bertie Bassett is the emblem of Basset's Liquorice Allsorts....closest I can get.

Paul..you don't like heat or flying ? :o Have you been to see your GP ?

No, I'm a grumpy one in hot weather, although this has only been in the last couple of years. I've never enjoyed flying - my mind is too mad for me at times. Images and VIT can be overwhelming.

I've had enough of doctor's surgeries.

You see, I'm a grumpy bugger! :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 29 Jul 2017, 15:50

Pinch wrote:
9fingers wrote:

Am I being thick?

Bob

Sorry Bob, I've always known a Bertie Basset to be an alcoholic drink, derived from the sherbets in Liquorice Allsorts sweets. My brother-in-law and me always have long drawn out debates about world affairs when we get together, driven by alcohol. I wasn't aware a bertie is a homosexual or a sherbet a sip. It's good to learn stuff. 8-)

Bob, sorry again matey... It seems I'm completely wrong about the Bertie Basset thing - so Mrs P told me earlier today. I thought there were sherbets in BB's sweets but it seems I'm mistaken. I haven't a clue where I got the BB reference for a beer. I'm really glad you mentioned this though (you're not being thick at all), as I've been using the BB ref for ages. In the workshop on the farm, a colleague might pop in on a Friday and as we're talking, I know I've said I shall be having a few Berties tonight. :lol:

From now on, the BB is no longer in my vocabulary.

Rob, really sorry for the hijack! That's it now. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby fiveeyes » 01 Aug 2017, 00:30

Nice cabinets there sir, I do like how they float above the bases. Kudos :obscene-drinkingcheers:
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Aug 2017, 21:45

Pinch wrote:
Rob, really sorry for the hijack! That's it now. 8-)

Worry not! :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP