It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:03

The 'Wishbone Desk'

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: The 'Wishbone Desk'

Postby Halo Jones » 10 Sep 2017, 23:45

Absolutely beautiful table. It's location doesn't do it justice though. Does it really have to be stuck right in the corner of the room? Even pulling it out so it is in the middle of the alcove would make it look like it was meant to be rather than, well, shoved in a corner!

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Sep 2017, 07:56

Why did you make this using laminate, Rob? There's so little timber in this anyway, and it looks like a lot of extra work to save maybe a couple of 6 foot boards. Did you ever consider making it out of solid timber?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Sep 2017, 16:36

Halo Jones wrote:Absolutely beautiful table. It's location doesn't do it justice though. Does it really have to be stuck right in the corner of the room? Even pulling it out so it is in the middle of the alcove would make it look like it was meant to be rather than, well, shoved in a corner!

H.

As I said, it was designed to fit a specific location in my house, with just enough room on the lhs to squeeze in one of our spare dining chairs. The client is always right and in this case, it's me :D

Mike G wrote:Why did you make this using laminate, Rob? There's so little timber in this anyway, and it looks like a lot of extra work to save maybe a couple of 6 foot boards. Did you ever consider making it out of solid timber?

Yandles isn't the best location to buy prime boards and I was only able to get hold of small parcel of this timber, just one board of which yielded enough veneers for the top, with very little left over. As it is, the brown oak veneers on the top are 3mm thick, so there's plenty there to absorb wear, tear and sustained use over the decades. I've still got a couple of 7' boards left in stock, but I can't remember what they're like...no doubt there's another project lurking within them at some time in the future - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP