It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:32

Monk's Settle (or Bench) - VIDEO

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Monk's Settle (or Bench) - VIDEO

Postby Pinch » 04 Aug 2017, 02:25

Alrighty... :D

Below is a recent video of the Monk's Bench - or maybe settle. :eusa-dance:

It's quite long, so stick with it.......... 8-)

[youtube]80-Uk7yvWVc[/youtube]

:text-bravo:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Monk's Settle (or Bench) - VIDEO

Postby Pinch » 04 Aug 2017, 11:25

It was a late one last night. :|

What happened was I really wanted to get this film done and dusted before Mrs P returned from her trip away - due back lunchtime today. So, I did everything I needed to do in the workshop yesterday and ready to drive home around 12:30pm giving me all afternoon and evening to finish the film, BUT, the van wouldn't start. :x

I ended up calling recovery and they arrived two hours later. Long short of it is my van is still at the shop and a colleague gave me a lift home last night, so I thought hmmmm, I'll have to finish the vid during next week - grunt. :x Plus, I've been doing too much computer work this week and my head is now a bit frazzled, not to mention the strain in the back of my neck and eyes. A rest from it would be good.... 8-)

The workshop computer is currently at home as my plan was to do this work here to keep the dogs company in Mrs P's absence. Anyway, after my late dinner, I cleared up the kitchen and started on the vid again. I then found the inspiration to finish it and upload it - hence, a late one, 3am I think it was.

My head today is now completely frazzled after half a night shift and Mrs P will be walking through that door in around two hours... So, skates on Pinch.. shut down and remove the shop computer from the dining table, get the house back in order and then chill out. 8-)

Job done!

I don't know why I'm sharing this... we all have our strange little quirky moments. :lol:

Cheers.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Aug 2017, 12:42

We share because no-one would believe us otherwise!! :lol:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 04 Aug 2017, 14:10

Hi Paul.

I'm not sure who your intended audience is for the video, but almost whoever it is aimed at, it could do with a good trim in my view. A couple of minutes of pre-amble could be cut to 15 seconds. The fun B&W dancy bits in the middle lose their impact after 5 or 10 seconds. The still photos at the end are brilliant, but you're on each one too long. In my view there is a classy 9 minute video, or an interesting 6 minute video hidden in that 18 minute version, just waiting for you to help it emerge.

Glue-ups are semi-stressful moments in a long build, but they aren't the high-skill moments, so I'm puzzled why you chose to film this rather than the finishing, or the carving of the roundel, or the making of the through-tenons. Again, I'm not sure who you are aiming this at.

Great piece of furniture. Great photos. I mean, really, really classy photos. I'm not so sure the video is of quite the same quality.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 04 Aug 2017, 14:16

Absolutely beautiful Paul, that's a family heirloom right there :eusa-dance:

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

Great dancing too!

What was the finishing like, was it fiddly? (looks like it was finished after assembly?)

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 04 Aug 2017, 15:37

haha .. you crazy fool ! :lol:
I'm sure you must be a long lost "brother from another mother" ! :lol:

I Liked it , but must agree with Mike .. there is a better shortened version in there for the normal folk to watch ;)

and was there actually any tea in that cup ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Aug 2017, 16:01

Jimmy Mack wrote:Absolutely beautiful Paul, that's a family heirloom right there :eusa-dance:

Great dancing too!

I'd stick to your day job if I were you :lol:

The dancing I mean :oops:
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 04 Aug 2017, 19:52

Malc2098 wrote:We share because no-one would believe us otherwise!! :lol:

Indeed - it's a sad old world. :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 04 Aug 2017, 20:01

Mike G wrote:Hi Paul.

I'm not sure who your intended audience is for the video, but almost whoever it is aimed at, it could do with a good trim in my view. A couple of minutes of pre-amble could be cut to 15 seconds. The fun B&W dancy bits in the middle lose their impact after 5 or 10 seconds. The still photos at the end are brilliant, but you're on each one too long. In my view there is a classy 9 minute video, or an interesting 6 minute video hidden in that 18 minute version, just waiting for you to help it emerge.

Glue-ups are semi-stressful moments in a long build, but they aren't the high-skill moments, so I'm puzzled why you chose to film this rather than the finishing, or the carving of the roundel, or the making of the through-tenons. Again, I'm not sure who you are aiming this at.

Great piece of furniture. Great photos. I mean, really, really classy photos. I'm not so sure the video is of quite the same quality.

Mike, why don't you just say it as it is chap - you ole killjoy you. :lol:

I agree with some of your views, but it was just a bit of fun for the forum. I have 7 other versions saved in a file, one of which will go onto my website, but not this one. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 04 Aug 2017, 20:07

Jimmy Mack wrote:Absolutely beautiful Paul, that's a family heirloom right there :eusa-dance:

Great dancing too!

What was the finishing like, was it fiddly? (looks like it was finished after assembly?)

Jim

Thanks Jim. 8-) I always fancied Cossack dancing when I was a wee laddie. When the Jewish family on father's side used to come down to Bournemouth for a week, we would visit them in a Jewish hotel for an evening, and a group of Cossack dancers would do their stuff. It was awesome to watch.

The finishing wasn't too bad. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 04 Aug 2017, 20:10

Blimey, tough crowd... Edit the next epic... Then in a few years you can release the full length 'directors cut'... It's a win win

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jimmy Mack on 04 Aug 2017, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 04 Aug 2017, 20:10

Tusses wrote:haha .. you crazy fool ! :lol:
I'm sure you must be a long lost "brother from another mother" ! :lol:

I Liked it , but must agree with Mike .. there is a better shortened version in there for the normal folk to watch ;)

and was there actually any tea in that cup ?

Well, someone's got to do it. :lol:

Yep, I have 7 more versions saved in a file. ;)

Oh yes, there was tea in the cup and it was very nice. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 04 Aug 2017, 20:17

Andyp wrote:

Great dancing too!

I'd stick to your day job if I were you :lol:

The dancing I mean :oops:

Indeed chap... indeed. :lol:

I used to be quite good dancer (or maybe that was just my opinion) and I still boogie away at a function, quite often embarrassing Mrs P - it has been said. :oops:

I was seriously thinking about taking up Morris Dancing a few years ago, but Mrs P wasn't having any of it. :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 04 Aug 2017, 20:20

Jimmy Mack wrote:Blimey, tough crowd... Edit the next epic... Then in a few years you can release the full length 'directors cut'... It's a win win

In my dreams chap. :P

My father was in am drams for years, but this never appealed to me. We used to go and watch him - bless. A chip off the old block. :lol:

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 04 Aug 2017, 20:22

Pinch wrote:
I was seriously thinking about taking up Morris Dancing a few years ago, but Mrs P wasn't having any of it.

The Morris dancers visit our local every summer, and from what I gather, essentially it is a cover for going on a summer pub crawl...

It's got legs... With bells on

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Aug 2017, 20:28

Pinch wrote:........it was just a bit of fun for the forum. I have 7 other versions saved in a file, one of which will go onto my website, but not this one. 8-)

Ah, right, I see. I thought it was going to be seen by the general public. Us woodies will get a bit more from it than, say, potential customers might.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 04 Aug 2017, 22:18

Jimmy Mack wrote:
Pinch wrote:
I was seriously thinking about taking up Morris Dancing a few years ago, but Mrs P wasn't having any of it.

The Morris dancers visit our local every summer, and from what I gather, essentially it is a cover for going on a summer pub crawl...

It's got legs... With bells on

Yep, good old Morris dancers - this was my logic :lol:

I'm literally watching a recorded TV programme 'The Joy of Logic' and it isn't very logical at all. :|
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 04 Aug 2017, 22:24

Mike G wrote:
Pinch wrote:........it was just a bit of fun for the forum. I have 7 other versions saved in a file, one of which will go onto my website, but not this one. 8-)

Ah, right, I see. I thought it was going to be seen by the general public. Us woodies will get a bit more from it than, say, potential customers might.

I should have mentioned I have several versions and this one was just for us woodies 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby fiveeyes » 05 Aug 2017, 00:48

Loved it!..beautiful work Paul. If you ever get to SW. Michigan, I'll buy!! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 05 Aug 2017, 10:08

fiveeyes wrote:Loved it!..beautiful work Paul. If you ever get to SW. Michigan, I'll buy!! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Thanks chap... who knows, now I'm a film maker, Mr Spielberg might invite me to help him with his next movie and bring me across the pond. :lol:

Thanks matey.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 05 Aug 2017, 10:11

Tusses wrote:I'm sure you must be a long lost "brother from another mother" ! :lol:

:lol: I read this bit a few times wondering what you were going on about... the penny dropped chap!

Here's to us bro.... :lol:

Where's mother! :eusa-think:
Pinch
Old Oak

Return to Projects & WIP