It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:47

Display Case / Drinks Cabinet (Complete)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Display case

Postby Jimmy Mack » 03 Nov 2017, 11:38

Hi Bob,

It's the same cheap blue stuff Rod has from Toolstation, it's got enough of a stretch IMO, I think if there's too much power here the veneer may buckle, it doesn't need a lot of force, if you need more...you might need to reshoot your edges.

'Frog tape' would be stretchier and it's adhesive has a longer open time. It's more expensive and I get through loads of the blue stuff. I like to get the tape off as soon as, usually the next morning, I suspect with purpose made veneer tapes there will be promises on the quality of the adhesive and not upsetting finishes, I've not had a problem here - yet!

HTH

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 03 Nov 2017, 11:49

Jimmy Mack wrote:Hi Bob,

It's the same cheap blue stuff Rod has from Toolstation, it's got enough of a stretch IMO, I think if there's too much power here the veneer may buckle, it doesn't need a lot of force, if you need more...you might need to reshoot your edges.

'Frog tape' would be stretchier and it's adhesive has a longer open time. It's more expensive and I get through loads of the blue stuff. I like to get the tape off as soon as, usually the next morning, I suspect with purpose made veneer tapes there will be promises on the quality of the adhesive and not upsetting finishes, I've not had a problem here - yet!

HTH

Thanks Jim,
I doubt buckling will be a problem with construction veneers that I'm using. Incidentally, Woodbloke's method for shooting is not as I expected with a hand tool :lol: :lol: but to clamp between known straight edges and rout it with a bearing guided cutter. Rob's finally getting the hang of machinery these days :lol:
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Jimmy Mack » 03 Nov 2017, 15:01

9fingers wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:Hi Bob,

HTH

Thanks Jim,
I doubt buckling will be a problem with construction veneers that I'm using. Incidentally, Woodbloke's method for shooting is not as I expected with a hand tool but to clamp between known straight edges and rout it with a bearing guided cutter. Rob's finally getting the hang of machinery these days
Bob
My hanging hand tools are just for show......shhh....don't tell anyone

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 04 Nov 2017, 10:22

Hey Jim, good show matey. Glad to see you're on the case. (No pun intended). :eusa-whistle:

This is such a classy cabinet - loves it I do! 8-)

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Mike G » 04 Nov 2017, 14:11

Veneering: that's for proper grown up woodworkers. I'll get onto that in a few years time when I feel more confident with the idea. In the meantime, I watch and learn.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Nov 2017, 14:17

so you applying glue to the edges of 1mm thick veneer. I would have thought that when you removed the temp tape and flipped it over the joint would have failed - even if being held by tape on the other side. Fascinating.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Jimmy Mack » 04 Nov 2017, 16:57

Andyp wrote:

so you applying glue to the edges of 1mm thick veneer. I would have thought that when you removed the temp tape and flipped it over the joint would have failed - even if being held by tape on the other side. Fascinating.
I wasn't too sure at first but it's surprisingly strong. I can dangle a sheet of four leaves vertically and happily brush off any debris before laying.

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 04 Nov 2017, 16:58

Pinch wrote:Hey Jim, good show matey. Glad to see you're on the case. (No pun intended). :eusa-whistle:

This is such a classy cabinet - loves it I do! 8-)

Thanks chappie

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 04 Nov 2017, 17:09

Meant to post some shots of yesterday but got a bit distracted trying to get the bust boiler out of our old Villager stove...a long story short...messy, hours, grinder.... Success!

Yesterday I got the top and bottom of the cabinet assembled, both being torsion boxes.

The bottom panel is my template, Poplar frame overhanging, glued making sure my template is dead flat. I flush trimmed these on the router table with my trusty shear cut bit, before gluing / closing the box with a slightly oversize panel and a final trim.

All done X 2

It doesn't look much at the moment as I chip away at the components...Next week I'll edge band the torsion boxes and start machining up the maple (with sycamore veneer) for the framework and we should start to see the cabinet taking shape.

Jim

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 06 Nov 2017, 23:19

More veneering today...Image

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Nov 2017, 09:17

Oooh, tasty! You must have been supremely confident in that block plane to put it anywhere near the veneer. I know, you were just trimming up the edge, but still.....
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Nov 2017, 11:08

Nice!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Jimmy Mack » 07 Nov 2017, 11:15

Mike G wrote:Oooh, tasty! You must have been supremely confident in that block plane to put it anywhere near the veneer. I know, you were just trimming up the edge, but still.....

Steady away :D I have about two mill over, I take it as close as I dare then hop over to sanding. It's a lovely looking veneer, the flash photography just about captures it.

For those that are interested...

I forgot to mention the edges have been double wrapped (1.2mm). At 0.6mm the veneer, especially in light woods needs another layer to stop the dark MDF and PLY edges showing through; a bit like knocking back a dark wall when you're decorating. This is also why Maple pre-veneered MDF was used for the main surfaces.

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 09 Nov 2017, 12:09

Had to share...Super excited to pick up the Tulip prototype leg this morning... We spent a good bit of time tweaking the top flat detail in the CAD...My buddy has CNC'd a fantastic job. The only thing he forgot are the Domino mortices down the side, but I'll let him off

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 09 Nov 2017, 12:22

Looking good - how long did that take to cut - must have saved a great deal of time?
What are you going to blacken it with or are you using “black” wood for the real thing?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 09 Nov 2017, 13:15

Rod wrote:Looking good - how long did that take to cut - must have saved a great deal of time?
What are you going to blacken it with or are you using “black” wood for the real thing?

Rod

I'll ask my buddy.. the actual cutting is fast. Though there's a fair bit of preparation. I'll be paying for two days of his company time + VAT, then there's the cost of the OAK and my preps, running about in the car, etc... It does mean I can crack on with other stuff - like the last 2 days, looking after my 2 yr old when she's off sick from nursery school!

It's an interesting process...it should be a time and cost saving, as I'd have to make the legs in under 2 weeks ... perfectly

I've another set to have made for a scaled down matching drinks cabinet, which should bring the price down, as the hard work's been done.... Though the customer (I know for sure) will hammer me on price here.

We'll CNC the Oak blanks, assemble, then 'shou sugi ban' (scorch), brush out the grain and ebonise at the end.

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Nov 2017, 14:45

Really nice!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 09 Nov 2017, 17:05

I think that is cheating. :) very clever though. Are those pegs in the end to make sure the piece is correctly orientated when it is turned over?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Jimmy Mack » 09 Nov 2017, 20:50

Andyp wrote:I think that is cheating. :) very clever though. Are those pegs in the end to make sure the piece is correctly orientated when it is turned over?
How very dare you.......

CNC...It keeps the hands soft for the ladies

Yes, orientation, also wedged into a letter box cut out. The cut out can be held down to the bed under vacuum

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 16 Nov 2017, 20:43

Ripple Sycamore on Maple frame, grey Birds Eye Maple panels (CC Sycamore balance) and economy baked beans.Image

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 19 Nov 2017, 10:03

Very nice indeed Jim - beautiful crisp work as always! 8-)

I do love maple and sycamore with the velvety figures it has to offer - just stunning.

Good on ya with those legs too - the proto is looking a right little beauty! 8-)

In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Mike G » 19 Nov 2017, 12:36

Where does the grey colour come from?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 19 Nov 2017, 13:12

Mike G wrote:Where does the grey colour come from?
Hi Mike....The grey is a pre-dyed bird's eye maple, veneer.

Thanks Paul , stacks of veneering

The lovely white does have a tendency to yellow over time, hopefully the UV blocking WB acrylic will keep it at bay for as long as possible.

Some pics... Of Jimenstein's monster, she's rather large sat on the 8x4 bench! Tulip test leg dangling!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 19 Nov 2017, 13:30

The machining of the sycamore veneered frames, which reveals the maple on the beading, adds an attractive pinky element which is working unexpectedly well with the grey... If it's safe to say...It's quite feminine... I like it Image

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 19 Nov 2017, 15:59

I like it too

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext