It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:22

Bow Fronted Cabinet

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Bow Fronted Cabinet

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Oct 2017, 15:03

Finished today, a little bow fronted cabinet made from a very unlikely looking board of London plane, cut right from the top of the log. As such there was very little decent, usable heartwood, but just enough to find the material for this job. The core is in mr mdf, accent details in Indian ebony and the drawer sides in quarter sawn oak.

IMG_0577.jpg
(134.16 KiB)

IMG_0578.jpg
(137.37 KiB)

The upper back panel is solid piece in a frame, the lower is made from some oddments of plane, veneered over a thin bit of birch ply:

IMG_0582.jpg
(136.27 KiB)

There's a single small drawer at the bottom, lapped dovetails, plane base and ebony pull:

IMG_0583.jpg
(251.59 KiB)

The tension on the door is provided by a sprung loaded, ebony pressure catch, which can be regulated by adjusting the small No.4 brass screw:

IMG_0586.jpg
(234.53 KiB)

The door pull set into the side is turned from a tiny oddment of ebony, with a finger recess made on the lathe with files and sandpaper (once the chuck had been locked in place)

IMG_0581.jpg
(152.77 KiB)

Construction by 5mm doms and biscuits, finished with a couple of thin coats of Osmo and wax over the top - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Bow Fronted Cabinet

Postby DaveL » 05 Oct 2017, 15:50

Rob,

Good work as I have come to expect for your stuff, the wood has more figure than I have seen in London plane before.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Oct 2017, 18:42

Cor!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 05 Oct 2017, 20:52

Nice

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 05 Oct 2017, 22:39

The colour varies in your pictures. Just wondering which is right. The external shots show a colour I have to say I don't really like. The picture of the drawer front/ inside though looks a really nice rich colour.

I may not like the colour but it looks quality as does everything you make.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Oct 2017, 22:45

Robert wrote:The colour varies in your pictures. Just wondering which is right. The external shots show a colour I have to say I don't really like. The picture of the drawer front/ inside though looks a really nice rich colour.

I may not like the colour but it looks quality as does everything you make.

It's basically pinkish, but there seem to be lots of different colour variations which make it look a little 'grey' and maybe this can be put down to my iPhone which is what I used to take the pics. If I used decent lighting and a 'proper' camera there might be more accurate colours in the shots - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 06 Oct 2017, 11:09

Very nice as always Rob. I am not sure I understand how that catch works. It appears to be screwed flush to the underside of the top. How does that become adjustable?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerM » 06 Oct 2017, 11:21

That's turned out very nicely Rob. Love that pippy drawer front!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Oct 2017, 11:23

Andyp wrote:Very nice as always Rob. I am not sure I understand how that catch works. It appears to be screwed flush to the underside of the top. How does that become adjustable?

It's recessed with a spring below the end furthest from the screw. I'm guessing tightening or loosening the screw lets more 'catch' out of the recess and pressing on the door.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Oct 2017, 11:44

Nice Rob.

The timber is soooo variable. The front of the door figure does nothing for me but the lacewood sections look amazing!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby MattS » 06 Oct 2017, 16:09

Nice unit, never come across the wood and it does absolutely nothing for me, looks like stained cheap pine. But then I've psoted about where to get cheap looking ply for some furniture so each to their own!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 06 Oct 2017, 18:28

Plane is noted for its speckled look as seen on the edges of the panels.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Oct 2017, 07:44

TrimTheKing wrote:
Andyp wrote:Very nice as always Rob. I am not sure I understand how that catch works. It appears to be screwed flush to the underside of the top. How does that become adjustable?

It's recessed with a spring below the end furthest from the screw. I'm guessing tightening or loosening the screw lets more 'catch' out of the recess and pressing on the door.

Cheers
Mark

Clever sod, isn't he?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Oct 2017, 08:45

TrimTheKing wrote:

Cheers
Mark

Yep, that's how it works.The story goes that Krenov used to go a stationary store and buy half a dozen retractable biros. In front of the amazed girlie behind the counter, he then used to break them in half, pocket the springs and chuck the remaining debris in the nearest bin.

TrimTheKing wrote:
The timber is soooo variable. The front of the door figure does nothing for me but the lacewood sections look amazing!

Cheers
Mark

I had to work with what was available (and it wasn't much) from that scabby old plank, but agree, there's a 'greyish' streak through it which I wish wasn't there. I've since put out some feelers through Rob Thomson on FB who's pointed me in the direction of some locally sourced London plane. I was up in 'The Smoke' yesterday to see the new exhibition at the BM and walking through the streets with 'er indoors, I was quietly measuring up how much I could get out of each plane tree I passed :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Oct 2017, 09:36

Understanding the "catch" is aggravated by it only appearing in the close up photo. I can't see it in context is any other photo nor what it catches onto?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Oct 2017, 11:06

9fingers wrote:Understanding the "catch" is aggravated by it only appearing in the close up photo. I can't see it in context is any other photo nor what it catches onto?

Bob

Futcher images will be taken or perhaps a new thread on how they work? - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Oct 2017, 11:31

That would be good Rob - as and when you have an opportunity.
Googling for "Krenov catch" brings up a different animal altogether.

Cheers
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 07 Oct 2017, 12:52

All becomes clear now!!!

Due to an optical illusion, the catch in the picture above looks like a slightly tapered cone with a coaxial screw.

This confused me. Now I look again I see it as short strip with rounded ends and a screw near one end and I understand.

:oops: :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to Projects & WIP