It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:37

Door Catch, Krenov Style

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Door Catch, Krenov Style

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Oct 2017, 12:04

Further to Bob9f's comment, this is my variation on JK's original door catch. He made them slightly differently to this, but I reckon this is an improvement on the original. If there are a pair of doors, an 'upstand' can be incorporated to keep the doors closed flush on the outside. A single door will close against the side of the cabinet.

IMG_0595.jpg
(147.43 KiB)

As the catch forces the door upwards slightly, a small 'button' needs to be turned which is equal to the shadow gap made when the door(s) is fitted. This is fiddly to do, but easy to adjust 'in situ' with a smoothing file and 320g sandpaper block.

IMG_0607.jpg
(101.38 KiB)

The following pics show a roughed out catch made some time ago which was never used. Something hard and nasty is ideal for these little catches so I usually use Indian ebony or African Black Wood; this one's is made form an oddment of rosewood.

IMG_0615.jpg
(98.5 KiB)

IMG_0616.jpg
(102.02 KiB)

You can see from the side pic that the bit that engages on the underside of the door is slightly domed and the easiest way to do this is with needle files and sandpaper to finish.

On the underside, beneath the 'dome' a chopped down biro spring is fitted which fits into a hole. There's another shallow hole also drilled into the carcase, so the spring is secure and not liable to ping off into the deepest and darkest recesses of the 'shop :twisted:

IMG_0618.jpg
(101.15 KiB)

The spring shown is fairly chunky and quite powerful...too much in fact, so biro springs are ideal

IMG_0619.jpg
(102.69 KiB)

The first time you make these things, they are incredibly fiddly. Slots are machined with a router cutter and the blank is carefully disc sanded to make a slopy-ish fit. The clearance hole for the screw should also enable a small amount of vertical movement; if it's too tight the catch won't move. I've made so many now that I can knock one out in around 20 minutes - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Door Catch, Krenov Style

Postby 9fingers » 07 Oct 2017, 12:48

Excellent Description Rob.

I do like reading educational posts like this to store away ideas for future projects.

Thank you

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Tusses » 07 Oct 2017, 14:24

Thanks for posting Rob , as I'd imagined something very much simpler !

Using the wood's own "springiness"

No idea in real life, but this is what I imagined

As you tighten the screw, the catch flexes and the friction is enhanced or decreased.

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Stargazer » 11 Oct 2017, 11:34

Thanks for this Rob, I was also completely misinterpreting the initial pictures as well.

Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Return to Projects & WIP