It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:33

Store Flat Rabbit Run

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Store Flat Rabbit Run

Postby oddsocks » 03 Jan 2018, 23:24

Over the years I've made quite a few rabbit runs, but this one is the best yet, It’s robust and can be easily assembled, disassembled and stored by one person. The one in my garden has 6 frames, so depending on how the garden is being used on a given day, the rabbits can have a big run (all 6) or a smaller one (using 4).
Hopefully the build will get published in a future edition of the Good Woodworking (the full article was accepted this morning). Given I have the tools I jointed using domino and pocket screws :-)

pic17 ...and 5minutes later.jpg
6 frame rabbit run
(622.73 KiB)

The 'clever bit' is the use of screw eyes (45x4.3mm) at each end of each frame, positioned 160mm from the top at one end and 170mm from the top at the other end (and vice versa for the bottom). This means any frame can join any other using the connecting rods. The shape can be changed, a rod can be removed to allow easy access etc. If the rabbits play hard to get, you can move the frame into a triangle to catch them. If the run is not needed (e.g. winter or cutting the grass) all the frames can be stored flat.

I attached the mesh with an excellent narrow gauge staple gun (Sacrofast) that I bought new from ebay last year - it takes up to 40mm staples, I use 19mm for this. You can get cheaper silverline guns for under £30
pic12 fixing the mesh.jpg
Sacrofast narrow gauge stapler
(416.46 KiB)
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Re: Store Flat Rabbit Run

Postby DaveL » 04 Jan 2018, 19:30

That's a very neat idea, I made a frame for my grandchildren some years age but had to put a mesh base on it as their rabbits could dig out in an hour!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 04 Jan 2018, 19:33

Yes I like that. A slightly taller version could be used for chickens too.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby oddsocks » 04 Jan 2018, 20:07

We have another older version around the rabbit hutch that sits on the decking and the rabbits still prefer to stay in the hutch (I even made a ramp and step for them to use). They have never attempted to dig, but with an older run with 2" chicken wire one of them did spend most of his time trying to chew through the wire!

The run in the picture is 620mm high so a 24"/600m roll fits without wastage, but a taller one (e.g up to 920mm to use 900mm wide mesh) could be made. it would need longer rods (a 1m rod per corner) and probably the thick16g 1" mesh (as in my picture) to give the frame rigidity when moving it (or you could reinforce the joints with metal repair plates). if chicken wire or thinner 20g mesh were used it would probably be too flimsy.

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Return to Projects & WIP